Bufflehead Sailing Charters
Open today: 8:00 AM - 11:30 PM
Review Highlights
Nice to deal with

A prospect of stormy weather required us to cancel our evening sail. Daniel was most understanding... read more

Reviewed 5 days ago
thecinks1
Great time sailing!

My family of 5 booked a charter with captain Dan in August 2020. He took precautions to ensure we... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Jessica O
via mobile

All reviews captain daniel his knowledge island picnic hour cruise great morning nice trip mid coast weather was perfect bennett stories sail boats monroe maine wind witness wealth
Selected filters
Reviewed August 16, 2014

While planning a trip to Maine, I knew I wanted to go on a sailboat. After some searching, I came across Captain Daniel and Bufflehead Sailing Charters. It is a wonderful operation! He and I e-mailed back and forth briefly about what would work out best for my wife, my parents, and me. We settled on an evening, ~5hr sail, private sail. We were all so glad that we did this! A few of us weere worried about sea sickness, but we shouldn't have been concerned at all. It was amazingly smooth. The conversation was excellent and to hear about some of Captain Daniel's adventures, just amazing.

As for the trip, we had enough time to go around one of the islands, Monroe Island, I believe. It's a private island, and to be able to see the Maine coast from the vantage point of a small boat was great. We could really get up close and really look at it. There were some wonderful picture opportunities of a couple of the lighthouses (Owl's Head, and Rockland Breakwater). Having been at both of those during the day looking out at the sea, it was really cool to be in the water looking back at them. We also sailed around for a little while just seeing some of the other boats in the area. Even the trip back in was wonderful. We could slowly come back in under sail and make our way through the harbor. The highlight was when we went by the Coast Guard station and the USCGC Eagle was in port and we could get up close to it.

It all ended up being about 4 and a half hours and, as soon as we got off, we knew we had found the highlight of the vacation.

One word of caution, depending on the angle you come from, it may not be obvious as to whether you are headed in the correct direction. If coming in from Main Street, yes, go up the stairs. I trusted the map and directions provided by Captain Daniel, and it was all good.

Definitely something that everyone should try!

Reviewed August 14, 2014

Captain Daniel Bennett is more than "just" a sailor; he is one part historian, one part sailing teacher, one part gentleman, and five parts entertainer!!!! As we toured Rockland and the waters and islands beyond, we enjoyed the presence of another couple and Daniel's close attention to every detail, from making sure we were warm as the sun set to the continual adjustments to his navigational plan. Bufflehead Sailing Charters is the only one of its kind in the Rockland area and Daniel is a one-of-a-kind person. Thank you Daniel for providing the wonderful views and perspectives of the middle Maine coast! R&J McC

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Captain Daniel is professional and very warm. He has sailing in his blood. We were out for four hours with him among the tall ships parade off of Rockland Harbor. We had great weather and being on the water was great. If you want a personal taste of sailing in Maine the Buflehead is the way to go. His stories and humor were great! We will go again we loved sailing with Captain Daniel!

Date of experience: July 2014
Reviewed August 4, 2014

A most do if you are near Rockland you will not be disappointed. My husband and I booked a private 4 hour sail with Captain Daniel for our anniversary. We started sailing through out Rockland Harbor, we were truly impressed with Captain Dan's ability to maneuver so closely around the other boats all under sail without the use of a motor. Seeing Rockland and it's surrounding islands from the quiet tranquility of wind and water, being away from the bustling tourist is the most calming yet exhilarating experience. Beside seeing porpoises, a family of bald eagles, ospreys hunting for fish to feed their young, and harbor seals, "moose" (not really), shooting the cannon, the real treasure was spending this time with Captain Dan is like sailing with your best friend we had many laughs. He has many amazing sailing adventure stories, and one of my favorite being the story of when he baby sat a baby whale. His love of sailing and being with you as well as his love of Rockland and his own family will have you telling stories of your own. Next time we'll bring the whole family. Til we meet again Captain Daniel be well. Thank you, Cheers. Kristen & Dave.

Reviewed August 1, 2014

My wife and I were determined to get out out of the mess of the city and among the quiet peaceful beauty of the Maine coast. Capt. Daniel and his "crew" were knowledgable, hospitable and extremely capable hosts. He made sure we got close to the natural wonders of uninabited (with the exception of wildlife) islands as well as charming schooners and lighthouses in Rockland Harbor. His capable bearing coupled with his sturdy comfortable sloop made the experience the highlight of our vacation. We will most certainly return for more.

Date of experience: July 2014