“Terrible business - dishonesty costing USA taxpayers”
Review of Trade Winds Inn

Trade Winds Inn
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Rockland
Boston, Massachusetts
“Terrible business - dishonesty costing USA taxpayers”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Poorest establishment that I have ever paid for a service and, unfortunately, it was not my money but that of the USA taxpayers.

My group of 6 stayed here during a research trip (funded by a government grant) to survey nearby shellfish populations. After multiple phone calls to the reservation agent during my research to find the most economical option - and her assuring me that there would be enough space for us (we booked a 2 queen suite with 2 cots) - our reservation (held with a credit card) was not honored. The room provided was a 1 king suite with no cots (thus, 1 bed + 1 couch, instead of the necessary 5). We were forced to either find another place to stay (at ~11 pm) or double our cost by staying in a second room.

Can you imagine if every lodging establishment ran this way, guaranteeing a price and service, and then taking that guarantee away when you arrive on their doorstep? Those motels would go out of business.

I am currently working with the Better Business Bureau to get the cost of the establishment's mistake reimbursed to the grant. To date, the reservation agent - who seemed so helpful on the phone! - and desk agent have lied to the business owner about our reservation, so please do not expect honesty in your dealings with this business.

This is a place to stay if you are desperate and have not had time to make reservations. However, if you - like me - plan and reserve ahead, then there are many better options in the area, including houses that rent for only $25-50 more per night. This is a small price to pay when you may end up paying an extra $100 once you arrive. Unfortunately for this business, we would have stayed with them at least 3 more times had they treated us honestly. As it is, we are taking our business elsewhere and encourage others to strongly consider doing the same.

Room Tip: balcony - or better yet, a different establishment altogether
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank SonomaGal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I stayed in 2 different rooms in this hotel on 2 occasions. I booked a balcony room, only $5 or $10 more in the off-season, and got a very spacious, comfortable room with a separate sitting room and a balcony with a view of the ocean past the parking lot. When I returned to Rockland, I took a regular room for a very reasonable rate. The room was a lot smaller, but still reasonably comfortable. The establishment is not modern, somewhat like the larger motels of the 1970s, but it is well maintained and comfortable. There is a breakfast provided, not great coffee, but it's easy to forego, as there is a very good restaurant next door which opens very early and serves a good breakfast.

Room Tip: The balcony rooms are bigger and more comfortable.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Bar Harbor, Maine
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was told I had "won" a prize if I listened to a time share presentation and, as a result, got a complimentary room for the night. The only good thing was that I did not have to pay for this room! I was traveling alone on a cold rainy night. The room is depressing, horrible lack of decor and yes, it was an ocean view room, after I looked past the dumpster that was in front of my blacony. I decided to check out the hot tub. Unfortunately, it had green slime floating on top, no no hot tub for me that night! Then I decided to have a drink at the bar. Unfortunately, it is a very small bar with all the seats taken by employees. I was told i could sit at a booth and have a drink, but the point was that I was travelling alone and was looking forward to meeting people. The sheets were very cheap- thread count of perhaps 12! The towels were so thin you could see through them. But the shower was the best part- there is a button to push in order to operate the shower faucet. Unfortunately, every time I let go of the button, the shower faucet would shut off. Therefore, I had to call on all my yoga skills to hold the button with one hand while I tried to get clean with the other hand. I had a bottle of shampoo in the room that was open and partially used, one bar of soap and no blow dryer. I mentioned the shower issue to the front desk and they said nothing, just wrote it down on a list. There was also a container of ketchup on the balcony floor that was crusted over and gross. It had to have been there for several days because it had been raining for 3 days by the time I got there. The balcony itself had peeling paint and looked to be partially rotted. And they wanted me to buy a time share there?? RCI needs to take a good look at this place. either that or they need to raise their standards. This stay was like an episode of Fawlty Towers!! I would never buy from RCI after seeing this!!

Room Tip: make sure you don't get the dumpster-view room!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Judie N

Travelers are raving about these Rockland hotels

Live Oak, Florida
Reviewed May 22, 2013

We are from Rock and and have moved to Florida .
When coming back to visit kids and their families we stay at the Trade Winds through RCI. first experience wasn't excellent Had to book a studio for the first part of the week. Very disappointed. no sink to wash dishes, one burner stove, no oven, uncomfortable bed, no comfortable seating. As soon as a one bedroom became available we were moved. Much better accommodations. The bedroom had a jacuzzi tub in it, full kitchen dining area and living/dining room. Nice balcony with view of waterfront. 2nd stay is in a two bedroom unit. No water view, but unit is really nice with whirlpool tub in master bath. 2bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, dining room, full kitchen fireplace, 3 t.v.'s. Very comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank linwot
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I highly recommend this hotel. The hotel was wonderful and the staff was very friendly. The room was clean and smelled nice. The view of the ocean and harbor were gorgeous. It is in a great location, walking distance to almost everything. I noticed the room was spotless, but I have a thing with bathrooms so I went to check it out. I was surprised to see that the bathroom was spotless as well. It even made it up to my standards. I loved the swimming pool area and the work out area. Next time I go to Rockland I am staying at the Trade Winds Motor Inn again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Dylan B
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

But for $58 per night with AAA it is a place to stay. I stay here a couple of times a year for work and have done so for a few years. Convenient, cheap, easy parking.it is old and tired. Rooms are ok but you can tell that they have not had a lot of attention. It smells old, carpets are worn, old linoleum, dust, and yes even some mildew. TV works, no wifi. It is what it is. If you don't expect much, you will save a couple bucks. I think it is finally time for me to find another place.

Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Tim W
Wilder, Vermont
Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Trade Winds. The people were pleasant and the downtown location with water views is great. However, the hotel is an older property that is getting tired. It is in need of a face lift. It is still O K for a one or two night stay, but no more than that

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HarryWilder_Vermont
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rockland
Rockland Harbor Hotel
Island View Inn
#5 of 10 in Rockport
Strawberry Hill Seaside Inn
Samoset Resort On The Ocean

Been to Trade Winds Inn? Share your experiences!