“Fantastic Salad!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Description: A Yelp review: http://www.yelp.com/biz/clan-maclarens-rockland
Pembroke, Maine
“Fantastic Salad!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stopped in for lunch without reading any reviews. At first I was put off that you had to order at the counter but once I got over that I ordered a salad with marinated chicken, grapes, candied walnuts, little oranges and very fresh greens. It was a great combination of ingredients, all fresh and the marinated chicken made it one of the best salads I have ever eaten. The friendly person working told me the salad dressing was serve yourself but I ate the salad just the way it was and loved it.
I liked that they had serve yourself unsweetened iced tea with real lemon slices and plenty of ice.
They also had a large selection of drinks in bottles.
My husband had a tuna salad sandwich. He thought the bread was excellent and the tuna, well tuna. It was served with chips and a pickle. I also ordered a slice of that delicious bread with butter (additional charge) .
There's quite a large sit down area with nicely painted wooden chairs and different sized tables.
It is a bus your own table place with tubs on the side for your dishes.
The restaurant was clean and the two people working while we were there were both friendly.
We will definitely go again when we are in Rockland.
Parking downtown is free. My recommendation is just grab a space when you see it and walk the street. Lots of great shops and galleries. They are across the street from The Grasshopper Shop and George's jewelry.
The cost for the large salad, my husband's sandwich and two beverages was $22.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank kellykabuki

york, maine
“Had lunch on our way through and AGAIN on our way back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband, myself and our two young children stopped at Clan MacLaren's on our way through town and AGAIN on our way back through! My husband could not decide on what to get so he asked for a sandwich suggestion and they recommended the "Eric" a classic italian. It was delicious and quite large! I ordered the Red Hen, BBQ chicken and cheddar with blackened red onions on a soft roll- Amazing! My daughter got a tuna sandwich and chowder (rich and creamy, tons of shrimp!) My littlest got a "Toddler Plate"! Choice of sliced ham or turkey, cut grapes, cheese and oyster crackers! (Such a great idea, every restaurant should have this!) The staff was very friendly- we chatted with the owner for quite some time. Fun atmosphere- great music playing! We are looking forward to our next trip to Mid Coast and will definitely be stopping to eat again!

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Tinytravelingfamily
Rockport, Maine, United States
“Best Sandwiches around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

Been in more than once every time the food was excellent aswell as the service. best sandwiches around great chowder and the cookies are amazing just a fun place to go lunch.

• Visited April 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My friend said, "the worst sandwich I have ever had."”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

She got the roast beef with (burned) onions. I got the John Henry (guacamole, turkey, oat read panini). I also got the clam chowder. Upshot: I liked the bread, but it was soggy with the sandwich, and the turkey was cold in the middle. I ate about half. I took 3 bites of the chowder and had to stop because it was so salty, and just not flavorful. I ate the oyster crackers, though. Those were fine! I also had a mediocre cookie that I didn't finish. The bathroom was clean. Service was friendly, although she came to our table, forgot the soup, and when asked about the soup and cookie, she said, "You have to get the cookie yourself." Ummmm... Ok, but now that I'm sitting down, and you are coming back with the chowder, why not bring me the cookie, too? Now as my friend says, "the food is sitting like a stone in my stomach."

• Visited June 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Annapolis, Maryland
“Great chowder”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

In Maine you expect to get great chowder but often that does not happen. Clan MacLaren's chowder is the real deal. Rich and flavorful with tons of clams. The flavor was outstanding. I got a larger bowl which was quite large and yet the price was very modest. Heartily recommended!

• Visited May 2013