“Looks can be deceiving!!!”
Review of Big Fish Cafe - CLOSED

Big Fish Cafe
Cuisines: American
Description: Homemade food cooked to order, fresh seafood
Description: Homemade food cooked to order, fresh seafood
Owls Head, Maine
“Looks can be deceiving!!!”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We have drove past this location many times, it use to be the big fish. We decided that tonight we would give it a try cause we were both in the mood for Pasta. The atmosphere was very cozy and nice. The menu was straight forward and looked great, but it stops there. The app of mussles that we got was probably the only good part of the evening. I got the special "lasagna" if that is what you could call it. It was pretty much a pile of cheese on a plate with 3 meatballs and a small side salad. I ate the salad cause I was starving, and tried to eat the "lasagna" but it was just gross. When the waitress came over to ask how it was, I asked if they didn't use noodles in there "lasagna" she stated that I had gotten the last piece and that was probably why it looked the way it did and didn't have noodles or meat. She stated that she would take care of it and walked away. when she came back with the check, there was no change made. She came over and stated she had forgotten to make the correction but that she would and run the card. She sent the bus girl out with the check and when we looked at it she had only taken $5.00 off of the $14.00 meal. She never said she was sorry and I didn't eat any of the meal except for the salad and the 3 pieces of meat. As a new restaurant they really should have just comped the meal. I WILL NOT BE GOING BACK. The services was horrible, the food portion and quality was terrible. Not what I would expect a PASTA HOUSE to be. I called when I got home to speak with a manager and was told there wasn't one there, when I asked when one would be available I was told "I am not sure when they come in". HORRIBLE!!! DON"T GO HERE!!!

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Jessica B

Chelsea, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“This place is now 'Rockland House Of Pasta'”
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We ate an early supper here. Very dark when you walked in, kind of cozy. Dinner was VERY good, we were not disapointed with our meals.
We were disapointed with the size of your plate/bowl. They could up the portion size. The waitress servied my children and I sour milk! She did not at any time say sorry, But we were not charged for our drinks. The service was okay, wasnt the best, wasnt the worst, But We would not eat in again because of it, we would deffinitly order to go from this place.
GREAT FOOD!!

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank MBenitez1109
Massachusetts
“Great place for lunch!”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Maybe dinner, too, but we had lunch here on our way to Acadia and weren't dissapointed! Very charming place with a good selection of fish dishes (I had the excellent fish sandwich). Our waitress was all alone that day (late lunch around 3pm) and they were fairly busy on that rainy afternoon, but she did a great job keeping up with everything! Easy to find ... right on US1!

• Visited September 2012
Windsor
“A pleasant surprise!”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We aren't familiar with Rockland and it was a little busy, so stopped just outside of town at this quirky looking little place. It was very good. My husband had a tasty burger and I had the haddock sandwich which was excellent. The fish was very fresh and perfectly cooked. The service was attentive, friendly and fast. We would certainly return if we are in Rockland again.

• Visited August 2012
Boston
“DON'T DRIVE BY THIS ONE OR YOU WILL MISS OUT”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

THIS PLACE HAS SMOKIN' SOUTHERN BBQ YOU CAN RARELY FIND UP NORTH AND ROCKIN' FRESH FISH. We were toward the end of our vacation and a bit "fished" out and really craving some good BBQ. We drove by the Big Fish Cafe sign and saw "BBQ". It was playful and inviting but..... (You see we are bbq snobs. We live in the Boston area so we are blessed with a select few great BBQ places.) I checked tripadvisor website and saw good reviews so we tried it. OH MY!! We went back twice as well. The food - all the food was amazing. The scallop chowder is award winning and the baked beans you can't find anywhere else. There are so many layers to these wonderful food flavors your tastebuds will boogie!!!The restaurant was not empty and the owner remembered us and what we had to drink the night before!!! He even said " I saved your booth for you" as he showed us to the same table. He was attentive and from the heart friendly. His wife is the gastronomic genius who studied how to make GREAT BBQ and she did. They have another restaurant in Rockland and a mediteranian style restaurant in Camden called the Mediteranian i think. I only regret we found Big Fish Cafe at the end of our vacation because we would have eaten at the other two. Not to worry tho' we will be back and reeeeaaaaly hungry!!
One last thing - sweet and friendly waitstaff too. It felt like eating with family!!!

• Visited August 2012