“Great for breakfast and local color”
Review of Home Kitchen Cafe

Home Kitchen Cafe
Ranked #1 of 89 Restaurants in Rockland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Now ALSO open for Dinner Wed - Sat 5-9pm
Reviewed June 9, 2013

What a busy spot. Full of locals and tourists. The food is fresh and lots of choice. The Miga - eggs,cut up taco and topped with salsa and sour cream. The piece de resistance are the sticky buns,maybe have it first to make sure you have room!

There are newer reviews for Home Kitchen Cafe

Reviewed June 7, 2013

This place is a favorite of Midcoast local's. I know, I am one. The restaurant just went through a remodel and expansion and they did a wonderful job, even added an upstairs deck for outdoor dining and its just across the street from the harbor.

The menu is filled with items that have original flair. I've never been disappointed in any of the meals I've eaten there since they have opened.

You might keep in mind this is not a fast-food corner drive-through restaurant. Good fresh food takes a little time to prepare. And fresh it is. I've been assured by the owners that they only use, where practicable, locally grown and harvested meats. And there are no frozen precooked mass distribution meals served here. All meals are fresh creations made with the freshest ingredients. Their coffee is a locally roasted favorite from Rock City Roaster's. It's not Starbucks Sumatra, but it is great coffee.

My last meal there was their fish tacos. I don't believe you can get them like they prepare them here anywhere else. Where else in Maine can you find fresh corn tortillas made right in the kitchen?

My rating, 4 1/2 Yumms out of 5 and well worth any wait.

One of the best breakfast, lunch and dinner spots in the whole midcoast area!

Reviewed June 6, 2013

We had read the great reviews on Trip Advisor, and the owner of the home we were staying in had also recommended this place. We finally got to visit for an early lunch near the end of our stay. The place was about half full around 11am on the Thursday after Memorial Day. A very nice server got our drink order right away. We ordered some egg dishes from the menu, along with some oatmeal for our baby. The wait for the food was on the longer side, but it was evident that everything was freshly cooked. I never thought I would be so excited about toast, but the bread they use is wonderful. It was perfect with my eggs and ham. Our only complaint was the server's lack of consideration when he hurriedly set a steaming bowl of oatmeal down in front of our 9 month old. I know the tables are small and space is limited, but this was a bad idea (baby's hand immediately in the hot bowl before we can move it, screaming/crying starts). We would have moved things around if he had given us a minute to do so. I think the server might have been new, so hopefully he learned to ask where the parents want hot dishes in the future. Otherwise, we definitely enjoyed our visit and would return when we are in the area again.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Took so long to get our breakfast that we were getting ready to walk out. Food is plentiful but not very tasty. Coffee is horrible. Only positive thing about this place is the staff they are really friendly and helpful. Kitchen seems to be out of its depth. couldn't cope with the crowd. Waitress kept coming by and telling us it would not be long but it took 45 min to get our eggs. The place was clean and well maintained and it was busy but that does really explain such a long wait time. Might try again if the food had tasted better.

1  Thank ToodSt_Stephen
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I ordered a meat-me-at-home frittata; in the fine print, they should say that this dish contains home fries as the main ingredient with some eggs and less meat. It was bland and unremarkable in flavor. In as much as we spent $90 + for three of us, I will think twice before going back. Two of us ordered off the Lobster Specials Board: they do not post the price of each dish- so better check. IF I do go back, I will likely read the Trip Advisor recs and select a better dish! Beware and Good luck! OMT- this place is very busy: first thing you must do is get on the wait list- this person was hard to locate on our visit.

2  Thank Michael H
Homeboy650, Owner at Home Kitchen Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

We are sorry you did not enjoy your time at our restaurant. Like many New England restaurants we often do not post lobster prices, as they change according to the season. Currently lobsters are molting and there is a difference in the price of a soft shell, or a hard shell. We prefer to use hard shell ,as there is more meat, and contains a flavor that is more familiar to visitors that expect a Maine lobster experience. Our lobster is local, fresh , cooked and picked on our premises. We do not hide lobster prices. These are available from any server.
We apologize that your server did not state these at the time of your order.
We are also sorry you were unhappy with your frittata. It is our policy to replace any meal that is unsatisfactory. If known ,we would have been very happy to replace your meal. Our food is all made to order therefore we can modify most dishes. to your liking .
As we are the only breakfast & lunch restaurant in Rockland , that makes everything from scratch ,serving both meals ALL day, we can be very busy during peak hours.. Our hostess, or wait person can be called to another area to help expedite table clearing, seating guests, or answering questions. If you were not immediately greeted we apologize for your inconvenience.