“A hidden gem with fantastic food!”
Review of Home Kitchen Cafe

Home Kitchen Cafe
Ranked #1 of 90 Restaurants in Rockland
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Description: Now ALSO open for Dinner Wed - Sat 5-9pm
Reviewed June 29, 2011

We were looking around for a restaurant where the locals eat and found Home Kitchen Cafe. it has an outdoor deck, as well as seating inside. We had heard from others that they had great food, At least for us, that was an understatement. They are open for breakfast and lunch. It was obvious when we walked in, that this was a local favorite as it was packed.

My wife had the lobster sandwich. This was not your typical lobster roll. The lobster sandwich was on homemade bread. The meat of a full lobster was stacked between the two huge slices of bread along with lettuce, tomato, and a slight amount of mayo to keep the lobster together. There is nothing like fresh Maine lobster and this was absolutely delicious!

I had their 'cerise', which was essentially a turkey rueben. I ordered it with a side of home fries with onions and peppers. Their rye bread that they use for the cerise was scrumptious. They piled turkey, and saurkraut between the slices. It was truly one of the best ruebens i have ever had. On the other half of the plate was a huge portion of home fries; moist and delicious.

We had been told that we had to try one of their sticky buns. My wife's mom makes sticky buns and they have been a favorite of ours every holiday season. We took one of their sticky buns with us to eat later. We both felt that this was the closest we have ever had to my wife's mom's sticky buns; moist and absolutely wonderful.

I know I am using a lot of superlatives in describing this restaurant, but it was one of the best meals we had during our vacation.

Reviewed June 20, 2011

We stopped in while driving through Rockland, on our way home from Camden. We had heard nothing of it, but thought it looked like it was worth a try. We were very pleased with the decision. The food and service were both fantastic. We got breakfast foods, which tasted great, but I saw a salad go by (The Mediterranean) which really looked yummy as well. Next time we are in the area, we will definitely be stopping at this restaurant again.

Reviewed April 21, 2011

The food here is amazing. The wait staff was very nice and the atmosphere is very warm. My bf and I went there 2 days in a row because we knew we could count on the food being good...we were right. The first day we had the Blackened Haddock sandwich (AMAZING), Blueberry pancakes, and a Garden Benny. All were very delicious. We even got some food to go- sticky bun w/pecans (to die for) and Hit the Road Mac w/ bacon, you can never go wrong w/ bacon. Today we had a choclate chip and a blueberry pancake, huevos rancheros and a cold corned beef sandwich...again everything was mouth-watering. A definite must EAT!!!!!!

Reviewed April 21, 2011

Small diner type restaurant serving breakfast and lunch all day. We had the eggs benedict over hash which was prepared to perfection. I don't generally like poached eggs because you will often get them with the whites still runny but these were cooked perfectly and the homemade Hollandaise sauce was very light and tasty and the hash was superb. You can get it on homemade toast or polenta. Would definitely go there often for breakfast

Reviewed April 9, 2011

My first visit to the Home Kitchen Cafe was in January 2011. I have been hooked on their food since. When I walked in I immediately felt like I was meeting a group of old friends.

The waitstaff introduced herself and welcomed me; each visit thereafter, I was met with a smile and by name. I don't know how they remember every ones name but they do. I felt like family after the first visit. It is not just the waitstaff that greet you, it is all the floor staff that in their own way welcomes you and tries to get to know you.

The food is simply amazing. Breakfast is served all day and made to perfection; Their rubins, tacos and southwestern entrees look and taste fabulous. Meals are made with the best and often organic ingredients and you can taste the difference. Yet, their prices are competitive and believe me...you won't walk out hungry. They have an abundant selection of menu items. Going there is a feast.

Staff pull together to make your experience wonderful and I actually look forward to my next meal there. There is no waiting for cream or coffee or a refill; they are there for you.
I have found that many restaurants try to be something they are not and fail miserably.
This restaurant is everything and more. The Home Kitchen is a must go!
Dagmar