“Lobster club minus the lobster”
Review of Brass Compass Cafe

Brass Compass Cafe
Ranked #6 of 90 Restaurants in Rockland
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast
Reviewed July 5, 2010

My boyfriend and I tried coming here three different days for the lobster club. Little did we know, they close at 3pm each day. When we finally ate there, we were sorely disappointed. If you like extremely crunchy bacon (yum!) BLTs with a gallon of mayonnaise and are willing to pay $20 for it, this is definitely the place for you. If you actually want more than 1/4 to 1/2 lb lobster with your lobster club, don't bother coming to Brass Compass.

The outdoor seating area also seemed to be infested with bugs and we got bitten twice in less than an hour. Service was friendly, but if you actually want a to-die-for lobster roll, go to Red's Eats in Wiscasset, ME ($15 for 1 to 1 1/4 lb of fresh, sweet lobster meat on a roll with drawn butter or mayo (on the side!!!). With all those failed attempts to eat that lobster club, it felt like the universe was trying to tell us something....we should have listened!!! Never again!!!

Reviewed June 29, 2010

Ok yes I planned my trip around Bobby Flays throw down on the lobsta club. We arrived in Rockland and headed straight for lunch. The highly acclaimed freshly baked bread was out and they darkly toasted the club when it was requested untoasted. For the $19.99 price I would have rather had a nice dinner aound the corner next door at the Pearl Restaurant. The waitress seemed a bit confussed as she gave us someone elses check and thanked us for our honestly. Go early and I hope you get some homemade bread.

1  Thank Wildflower2010
Reviewed June 28, 2010

The Brass Compass Cafe does a great job marketing the Bobby Flay tobster club throwdown to the point it is even funny. The cafe was crowded on a rainy Monday in late June for lunch but Lynn Archer came from the kitchen to make sure we had been taken care of by the hostess. After about 10 minutes they sat my wife and I at a table and we were quicly waited on and had drinks in front of us in a few minutes. The menu looked very good but we had our hearts set on the lobster club sandwich. The sandwich was delivered in about 5-10 minutes and it came with a plate full of fench fries. I tried one fry and it was great but I knew there was no way I would finish this sandwich if I had any more. The sandwich was fantastic! There is no other way to describe it. Sweet lobster on homemade white bread. There were three tables around us and everyone had ordered it. Everyone was raving how good it was. Bottom-line - If you want a nice twist on a lobster roll this is a great place to go.

Reviewed June 28, 2010

I really enjoy this restaurants breakfast menu much more than their lunches. For some reason lunches seem to be a little slower, maybe they are tired from putting out the breakfasts. The restaurant is "tight" on space and be prepared to wait. Overall good food at affordable prices.

1  Thank Rardogrick
Reviewed June 28, 2010

Had a terrific batch of fried clams here! Renowned restaurant due to Food Network noteriety, they beat Bobby Flay with their lobster BLT. But I veered to fried clams. Tender and fresh.

Didn't care for the clam chowder, it was alot of potato and needed some heat. Okay location has streetside dining. A bit noisy, but it was too hot inside!

Would try them again, but the portion size of the Lobster BLT was too large for me. Wishing there was a mini version for light eaters....

1  Thank JK128xoxo