“A surprising eatery a few blocks from downtown worth a visit”
Review of Trackside Station

Trackside Station
Ranked #30 of 90 Restaurants in Rockland
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: In April 2009, Kelly and Michael Woods transformed Rockland’s Historic Train Station at 4 Union St. into the lively restaurant and bar Trackside Station. Known for its great food and entertaining atmosphere, Trackside Station won 7 “Best of the Best” awards in 2012: Appetizers, Wings, BBQ, Night Spot, Sports Bar and two more awards for their entertaining and friendly Server and Bartender.Trackside Station’s unique space features 24-foot ceilings, a large bar area with 8 different beers on tap along with large flat screen televisions and a 150-inch drop-down projection screen.Head Chef Chaz Doherty joined Trackside in mid-April 2013. Doherty, a Johnson & Wales graduate, brings a great deal of experience to Trackside with a diverse background. Doherty has worked in restaurants for most of his life, learning all facets of the business from front of house to back of house. Customers can enjoy fresh cuisine with house-made items. Doherty cures all of Trackside’s bacon in-house, grinds meat for a custom burger blend as well as bakes their sandwich rolls daily. Trackside offers a variety of seafood including fresh Maine lobster and crab meat, shrimp, scallops, clams and haddock. Other popular items include their house-made gnocchi, pork belly, pulled pork and chicken, fresh veggie plate, salads, pizzas and more.In addition to food, Trackside also features weekend entertainment including DJ music, a Name That Tune game, a Touch Tunes jukebox and live music. Trackside creates a monthly entertainment, food, and drink specials calendar that is available at the restaurant. This information and more is updated frequently on their Facebook page.
Reviewed July 13, 2014

My wife and I were in Rockland for this year's North Atlantic Blues Festival and parked near the Trackside Station for the event. As the day's outdoor musical activities ended, we decided to give the restaurant a try, knowing that the crowd would be heading towards downtown eateries. When we arrived, there was a locomotive and railcars waiting on the tracks, making for a time reminiscent of a past century. The restaurant has a few tables for outside seating and we were fortunate enough to get one on a beautiful New England evening.

This weekend's menu was new and designed for the Blues Festival, although the lobster dinners we had may be a regular part of their fare. Our waitress was very pleasant, attentive, and helpful, returning to our table several times during the evening to check if we needed anything. She performed as a professional. And, the 1.25 lb lobsters that were brought to us for dinner were cooked perfectly. At this time of year, soft shelled lobsters are common, having recently molted. And, recently molted were the ones we ate. The shells were very thin and the meat succulent and sweet. The accompanying potato salad was tasty; the only disappointment in the evening were the ears of corn which had been cooked sometime previously and left to simmer. Rather than complementing the meal with another summer sweetness, these were tough and almost granular. C'est la vie. The remainder of the dinner was a winner.

We plan to return to Trackside the next time we're in Rockland to see if their regular menu rivals that of this past weekend. Prices are very reasonable, and they serve one of the tastiest IPA beers from tap that we've experienced in Maine. Gotta give it a try, again.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

I was part of a group of 20+ people to stop there for lunch. We did make arrangements beforehand and they had 3 tables set up for us. The service couldn't have been better. Our server was cheerful and very efficient. I had a cup of chili as an appetizer. Not only was it probably the very best chili I've ever ordered in a restaurant, but it came with heated tortilla chips on the side and the "cup" was more like a crock. I could easily have made this my lunch, but had already ordered a harvest salad topped with a piece of broiled haddock. I can't say enough about how fresh and delicious both the salad and fish were.

Our table ordered poutine to pass around as an appetizer as well. Rave reviews for something most of us had never eaten before. We also shared the brownie sundae for dessert and it was plenty for each of the 8 of us at our table to each have a few bites. I also shared a few onion rings from a friend and they were to die for.

The restaurant is casual yet unique (having been a railroad station at one time). The prices were reasonable and everyone in our party was delighted with their meals. The only downside of this restaurant that I can think of is that it is an hour away from where I live so I won't get to go very often, but I will definitely be back.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We were here for lunch right after it opened several years ago and found it cold, empty and mediocre. Coming back this fall, it's been redecorated with wood floors, larger bar, and more intimate dining area. The place was still fairly empty for a Saturday night, but the food was tasty. I had the chicken Caesar Wrap which was great with home made onion rings. My wife had the tomato bisque soup which was hot and flavorful, and the Mac & Cheese which was so-so. Good selection of draft beers and supposedly entertainment (DJ and black light dance) later in the evening. Not sure what the turn out for that will be. Left a pretty empty place at 7:30 this evening.

1  Thank Photobill7
Reviewed November 6, 2013

This is a hidden gem. What a great menu for a bar. Good sourced local food. Try the Bacon, Bacon, Bacon. Did i say Bacon.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Went in with a group of friends for a Friday night dinner. We all had something different and all were happy with our selection. Be sure to ask for the cornbread! I don't know how they make it, but it is the best I've ever had. Excellent service, considering there was only one server while we were there. I've been in when the music is so loud, you can't hear your companion's talking. On this night, it was quiet.

1  Thank Jane D