“Great Excuse to get a good walk in”

Ranked #2 of 38 things to do in Rockland
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors can explore the beach area surrounding the lighthouse that was built at the beginning of the 20th century.
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Keeping it brief, this is an excellent reason to get in a nice walk. Wear shoes with good soles-my crocs were not optimal-but then again I saw some people do it in flip flops-they must be nuts!!!

A great walk, but not to be done in inclement weather. I also did it at low tide-which for me was probably better as I may have been a bit skiddish if the water was higher. Other than sailing, probably the best thing you can do in Rockland on a nice day.

NOTE-no bathrooms except for some port-o's in the parking lot.

1  Thank troy mcclure
There are newer reviews for Rockland Breakwater Light

Reviewed September 9, 2011

It's free, it's healthy, it's beautiful, it's historic. It doesn't get any better than this in Maine. Sunny day, slight breeze and sailboats on the bay makes a stroll on the breakwater a great place to take a walk for everyone. We saw joggers, kids, older folks and just about everyone else in between. Not for young kids however, it's too easy to trip or take a fall. Be sure and take a trip to the port a john at the Samoset cause there's no bathroom at the lighthouse; a camera for the photo opps, and a bottle of water cause there's no shade.

1  Thank Minimainer
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Been walking the breakwater since I was a little kid and I never tire of the view.

Reviewed August 19, 2011

My husband and I was in Maine for our 32nd anniversary and we had already visited Breakwater light in April,but on this trip my son and his wife and my 2 gradaughters were with us,and we wanted them to see it.There was plenty of parking for all which I was surprised for the busy month of August,but the weather that day was perfect.I was kind of concerned about my 6 and 7 year old grandaughters being able to walk on a surface that has so many cracks and holes,but they did wonderfull.The whole family enjoyed the 1 mile walk out to the lighthouse,and the view was breathtaking as you sit on the rocks that were passed the lighthouse.The view was just magnificant,and very relaxing.After we walked back,we collected shells and rocks and ocean glass for the girls.It was an experience that they will never forget.

1  Thank Donna L
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Definitely visit the Rockland Breakwater Light if you are in the Camden to Rockland area or even driving through. Although check the hours as it is all volunteer staffed and isn't always open. The walk along the breakwater is beautiful-- especially in the early morning-- gorgeous light on the harbor. You can sit at the end of the breakwater and watch the schooners, lobster tours, yachts and other ocean vessels pass by as you listen to the fog horn and water on the rocks.

You are welcome to climb up the ladder to the light tower and wander through the (now unfurnished) home where the keepers lived. There are historical photos and information posted on the walls. We were there on a very busy weekend in July yet, we were the only ones at the top of the light when we went. No lines to wait in, no fee to pay AND great views! A MUST see.

DO: check hours in advance
DO: wear comfortable walking shoes
DON'T: go if you are unsteady on your feet, the breakwater is uneven
DON'T: take a stroller
DO: wear sunscreen and protective clothing
DO: use the facilities before you head out-- it's a mile walk each way and nowhere to pee
DO: leave a donation-- it is all volunteer staffed

6  Thank visitall50