“Wonderful view, very peaceful”

Ranked #2 of 37 things to do in Rockland
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors can explore the beach area surrounding the lighthouse that was built at the beginning of the 20th century.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Wonderful view, very peaceful”
Reviewed September 4, 2011

Been walking the breakwater since I was a little kid and I never tire of the view.

dracut ma
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“The view was breathtaking”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

My husband and I was in Maine for our 32nd anniversary and we had already visited Breakwater light in April,but on this trip my son and his wife and my 2 gradaughters were with us,and we wanted them to see it.There was plenty of parking for all which I was surprised for the busy month of August,but the weather that day was perfect.I was kind of concerned about my 6 and 7 year old grandaughters being able to walk on a surface that has so many cracks and holes,but they did wonderfull.The whole family enjoyed the 1 mile walk out to the lighthouse,and the view was breathtaking as you sit on the rocks that were passed the lighthouse.The view was just magnificant,and very relaxing.After we walked back,we collected shells and rocks and ocean glass for the girls.It was an experience that they will never forget.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank Donna L
New England
115 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 167 helpful votes
“No lines, no fee (though do leave a donation), great views! A must see.”
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Definitely visit the Rockland Breakwater Light if you are in the Camden to Rockland area or even driving through. Although check the hours as it is all volunteer staffed and isn't always open. The walk along the breakwater is beautiful-- especially in the early morning-- gorgeous light on the harbor. You can sit at the end of the breakwater and watch the schooners, lobster tours, yachts and other ocean vessels pass by as you listen to the fog horn and water on the rocks.

You are welcome to climb up the ladder to the light tower and wander through the (now unfurnished) home where the keepers lived. There are historical photos and information posted on the walls. We were there on a very busy weekend in July yet, we were the only ones at the top of the light when we went. No lines to wait in, no fee to pay AND great views! A MUST see.

DO: check hours in advance
DO: wear comfortable walking shoes
DON'T: go if you are unsteady on your feet, the breakwater is uneven
DON'T: take a stroller
DO: wear sunscreen and protective clothing
DO: use the facilities before you head out-- it's a mile walk each way and nowhere to pee
DO: leave a donation-- it is all volunteer staffed

Visited July 2011
6 Thank visitall50
Merced, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Nice walk”
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Watch your step! Took 18 years to build with large irregular blocks and one could easily break an ankle when it's slippery. BUT you see sea gulls eating, porpoises, tide, current, views, and a sense of awe. Worth the long walk. We sat next to the bldg in a heavy rain and was warm and dry. we spent an hour and a half with great pictures!

4 Thank Fiona_Imadog
Washington DC
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Something Different To Do For Fun”
Reviewed October 11, 2010

I don't see too many breakwaters where I'm from so this was really cool for me. It's a perfect pit stop along the coast if you're looking for something quick to do that gives you fresh air and exposure to the water and Rockland's harbor. The breakwater is long- almost one mile- so it takes a little while, but the rocks were pretty flat and stable so it's not a tough walk if it's dry. Very fun and relaxing to do, and again, it shouldn't take too much time out of the day if you're passing Rockland on your way to another town..

1 Thank mll9w