“Looking to be abused? Check this place out!”
Review of The Old Goat

The Old Goat
Ranked #3 of 10 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
South China, Maine
“Looking to be abused? Check this place out!”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

If being treated like crap and being surrounded by incompetence is what you’re looking for, then look no more, you found it. The Bartender is rude and the wait staff has been well trained in bad service. After reading the reviews I became very curious, Can a Pub really be that bad or good depending on what you’re looking for. I went in and ordered up a cold brew and wouldn’t you know it, I received my fair share of abuse. I didn’t order any food because the abuse I received ordering a drink was adequate, I didn’t want to over stay my welcome. The Owner makes you feel real good about leaving, I think I’m going to bring friends in with me next time so I can be entertained by their reaction….The OLD GOAT, Yes he is, Well played I say….WARNING. Don’t bring Family or loved ones.

• Visited July 2012
3 Thank Dennis D

Maine
“Fantastic Food, great folks, cool building”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

My husband and I are hoping to move to the area, so decided to check out some local inning options. After all, it's all about the food, right? We tried The Old Goat last night, and even if we don't move to the area, we will be back! The food was excellentM. We had one of the paninis and a salad. We saw pizza being devoured on the table next to us that looked delioous. Service was great, especially when you realized our waiter (also the owner) was bar tending and waiting on every customer (and the p,ace was packed). It clearly is a place locals love and appreciate, and everyone was enjoying a wonderful spring Friday night on the river. Oh, and did I mention the great wine and beer selections? And affordable prices? And cool building with lots of history? Don't skip coming here!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank saucycontessa
Bowdoin Maine
“Rude is far too light a description!”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This is a copy letter I wrote and mailed to the owner after having the bad luck of going to this establishment....

April 22, 2013

I came to the Old Goat this past Saturday afternoon (April 20th) as member of an organization that was holding a meeting at your establishment. I had never been to the Old Goat before, but as a fan of neighborhood pubs and a bigger fan of good beer I had heard of your pub. I heard some good things about the Goat, but I had also heard some rumors that the bartender was not a very friendly guy.

But I was still completely unprepared for the level of rudeness I received at your pub. In fact rude is too far to light a word for the uncouth behavior. Your bartender interrupted me, raised his voice to me, and overall acted the perfect uncivil, ill mannered oaf.

I am writing this letter to you in the spirit that I believe it is only fair that I explain why I never again will enter your establishment and that whenever the Old Goat Pub comes up in any conversation that I am a part of I will repeat this story.

Again and again.

Over and over.

For the term viability of the Old Goat Pub I hope the person I dealt with this past Saturday is just an employee and some good customer service training will prevent such a situation from ever happening again. But I fear I was dealing with the owner, and if that is so, maybe some career counseling is in order. A career change out of a people oriented, customer service position is probably the best option for the person I had the unfortunate chance to meet.

Bill DiGiulio

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank Bill D
Maine
“Good food - not worth the trouble”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Yes, the pizza is outstanding. Yes, the beer selection is too. But yes, you will wait 45 minutes for a pizza on a Tuesday night because the girls behind the counter move slow. And yes, Scott (owner/barkeep) has such an attitude that you won't go back. Yes, some locals go here on a regular basis, but most of us are just sick of the service.

• Visited September 2012
4 Thank AbbyFromMaine
Portland, Maine
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Birthday dinner”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

My daughter recently moved to Richmond, so for her birthday we came up for a visit. She wanted us to try the Old Goat restaurant since we love casual dining. Casual it was, but also friendly, relaxing and the food was amazing. Great beer selection and any type of pannini you could think of. I noticed a few German named dishes, so I guess I'll have to ask more questions the next time. They have music on the weekends.

• Visited January 2013