“Good location, good rates, and good rooms!”

Rangeley Saddleback Inn
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Rangeley
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I had been planning a trip to Saddleback for a long time, with this being the inn I was thinking of staying in. However, when it neared the time to go to Rangeley, rain made it impossible to ski, so I checked to see if they would let me move my reservation. They did at no charge! After that I had to once again move the reservation, and they let me do it again! In fact, I ended up going a year after I said I would, and they were fine with that! When I got to the room, it was very clean and modern. Didn't get a chance to try out the pool, but it looked nice. The front desk was very friendly, and gave me recommendations on places to eat. If I am up here again I will definitely stay here!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank TheBGRTraveler
There are newer reviews for Rangeley Saddleback Inn

Reviewed May 16, 2012

This was my first time visiting this Inn but it won't be my last. Service was the best I have had at a motel in years! The desk clerk went above and beyond to make my stay pleasant and enjoyable. I would highly recommend the Saddleback Inn.

Room Tip: The rooms on the lower level have a full tub and the upstairs have showers.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 15, 2012

We had to make an unexpected trip to Maine from Alaska for a family emergency. The roon was very tasfefully decorated and peaceful which when dealing with the loss of a family member is very comforting. The staff was absolutely fabulous They checked to see if they could do anything to help and when another family member also became seriously ill, they again contacted us to make sure we were not in need of additional assistance. Way above and beyond our expectations. I would highly recommend this for anyone traveling. It has the pool, a place to eat in the facility that you can take out to your room. a great view and as I have stated great people.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Jean S
Reviewed March 21, 2012

WE stayed at the Saddleback Inn last week(March 16th,17th 2012). We are skiers. These people who are complaining about "stomping" upstairs need to realize that Skiers and snowmobilers stay here. The stomping of ski boots comes with the territory. SOME people are just too persnickety and should stay home, or go back to NY or where ever they came from. Our room was plenty quiet enough for us, and we are in our 50's, with no children or dogs. Any noise from skiers "stomping around upstairs" was over with by 9;30 and only lasted intermittantly for a couple hours. Our room was nice, clean and cozy. The shower worked great, with nice hot water. The bed was clean and comfy. The staff was very nice responsive. We have stayed here before , and will stay again in the future.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Laantziloo
Reviewed March 10, 2012

My husband and I decided to go north for the weekend and ended up in Rangeley. We chose this hotel because of the website, location, and the fact that they allow dogs and absolutely regretted the decision. Upon arriving, we asked if there were any places locally that were good for looking at stars (we had hoped to catch the Northern Lights). The concierge suggested Saddleback Mountain, but said we wouldn't be able to get to the top at night. We ended up driving around the area, trying to find a decent spot (the following day, another local was able to direct us to several spots that would have been absolutely phenomenal and were relatively close to the hotel - unfortunately, it was too late at that point).

The rooms are very, very small (even compared to small rooms at other hotels). Although clean, the room looked shabby, worn out, and out-dated. The bed was extremely uncomfortable, with worn-out sheets and a blanket. The bedspread looked like it was an original from the 80s and was visibly stained. Even our dog was uncomfortable sleeping on the bed with us. The wireless internet didn't work and we were told that we could get a cable from the main office - which was closed when we stopped by around 10.

Perhaps the biggest issue, however, was the noise. We got in around 1am and the people upstairs were still stomping around. At 1:30, the couple in the room next to us got into a lengthy, drawn out argument that continued for over an hour. Combined with the stomping from upstairs, we didn't get any sleep. Although things quieted down a little around 2:30, the stomping and yelling resumed promptly at around 6am. The HVAC for the room was also apparently faulty, as the fan kept shutting off and our room got quite cold.

Overall, the whole experience was SO bad that we considered leaving at 2am and just driving home so we would have a chance at getting a little sleep. Unfortunately, with no one available to check us out, we were stuck. At several points, I considered going out and sleeping in my car (the near-zero temperatures outside were all that stopped me). Even "breakfast" - which consisted of stale-looking bagels, a substance that might have been cream cheese at some point, and a vat of peanut butter with a visible layer of something on the surface - was far below our lowest expectations.

For what we paid ($15 more than we had paid to stay at a much nicer hotel in Boston a few weeks ago), the room was verging on highway robbery. When my husband went to check out, he had to call someone to come to the front desk. When he mentioned the issues with our experience, he was told that, when we come back, we should just call (an extension) and they would do something about the noise. Other than that, they didn't care at all about our abysmal experience - their half-hearted apology was more like they were upset that we had the nerve to complain. We will definitely NOT be returning, and would advise others to stay away!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Riley D
Reviewed February 27, 2012

we stayed 2 nights in a "suite" which i thought was 2 separate areas, but it was not. it was 1 large room so there was plenty of space for 4 people but no privacy. i wasnt too upset because the price was reasonable until the 2nd morning we woke up and had brown water. we called the front desk and when they sent someone up it had cleared up after we had run it for a few minutes. they assured us that had never been reported before which i found very hard to believe and indeed when we were checking out someone else was outside the main lobby complaining. they didnt offer any of our $160/ night back. we wont be staying there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Shelley40829
Reviewed February 25, 2012

We would not return to this place. Although the staff was very nice, they had only booked us for one of the two rooms we had reserved, which left us separated from two kids and lucky to get a second room on a busy ski week. In addition, the second room we ended up in was adjacent to the restaurant, had a pullout couch instead of a second bed, and both late at night and then early in the morning we were awakened by what seemed to be furniture being scraped over the floors. The pool was very nice, but to access it in winter means WALKING OUTSIDE, WET, to get back to your room. Please keep this in mind. Despite losing our reservation, separating us from the kids, and giving us a lesser room, there was no reduction in charge, and we appear to have paid more money for the room adjacent to the restaurant. Staff was very, very nice, but that only goes so far.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms would be further from the early morning snowmobilers. Rooms from 14-20 are closest to...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Jackie S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rangeley
The Rangeley Inn
Rangeley Lake Resort, a Festiva Resort
Mountain Village Farm B&B
Mountain Village Farm B&B
#1 of 1 in Kingfield

Been to Rangeley Saddleback Inn? Share your experiences!