“highly overrated.”

and 1 more site!
Acadia Oceanside Meadows Inn
Reviewed October 8, 2009

The place is on a road, not on the beach, but still scenic. However, the bathroom in our room was tiny and uncomfortable, and the room was FREEZING at night. I mentioned that we were cold and they gave us extra blankets - but it was only when we checked out that they bothered to inform us that hte thermostat for the room was outside the door! All in all a disappointing stay in terms of accommodations, though I have to say that the breakfast was really delicious.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 18, 2009

Our stay at Oceanside Meadows was very disappointing. As another reviewer has mentioned, it is NOT right on the ocean (as the website shows). There is a road that runs right in front of the inn. The website tells you to fall asleep to the sound of the ocean - but if you leave your windows open, you will periodically awake to the sounds of cars and trucks driving by. Not very relaxing at all! We specifically chose this place because of the 200 acre nature preserve and the owners who were described as being passionate about the reserve. Well, the owners were not there (and there was no one else to tell you about the reserve). And since it was August, we couldn't go near the meadow because the mosquitoes would have eaten us alive. When we checked in, no one had thought to open up the room - a 3rd floor dormer room - which was stifling hot! And I'm not claustrophobic, but I had trouble sleeping in this close quarters. Don't stay here in August (hot, mosquitoes). And don't take the upstairs dormer room in the old farmhouse. And the much-touted gourmet breakfasts were also disappointing. The chilled fruit soups were best, but the breads and main dishes not very good. We checked out a day early. There are so many more interesting places in this area. We'll never go back. I've read through the other TripAdvisor reviews, which are very mixed, and I just don't understand how some people could have written so positively about this place. I guess it depends on what your expectations are.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank KnowsHowToTravel
Reviewed September 6, 2009

It is summertime in Maine, and with the beginning of September, comes the best time to visit the Pine Tree State. Actually, when visions of Maine flood my mind, I think of cobblestone beaches and the endless spray of salty surf against pink granite. Lazy, restorative days, where the cool sea breeze and a hot sun can easily lull you to sleep on a hard flat rock… At night, with the sounds of waves crashing on a nearby beach, I imagine an inky sky sprayed by the lights of a thousand glistening stars peppered against the heavenly vault. This may seem like a fantasy, but it actually exists on Maine’s Schoodic Peninsula, part of Acadia National Park. Millions of tourists filter annually through Bar Harbor and Acadia N.P. which surrounds it. But just an hour’s drive north or six miles by ferry, you will find the same protected rocky shore, but with only a handful of people. Time seems to stand still in Winter Harbor, Prospect Harbor, and Birch Harbor. I know because I have been visiting these places for over 30 years. Although you can see the stars in their most pristine form from anywhere on the Schoodic Peninsula, my favorite haunt is Acadia’s Oceanside Meadows Inn, a B&B with a singular rustic Victorian elegance and a view of the sea and surf that is unrivaled by any other downeast property. Owned by naturalist, Ben Walter, and educator, Sonja Sundaram, and operated by local sisters, Marla, Ola, and Edith, the Inn epitomizes the best in downeast elegance, including sumptuous three course vegetarian breakfasts and rooms that sweep in the cool sea air and the sounds of the rhythmic surf. Included on the property is a meadow where the stars shine just as brightly as they do in Texas or the Southwest. As the school term dawns this week, my mind remains on the Schoodic coast. More at www.oceaninn.com/...

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Astrophotographer
Reviewed June 22, 2009

Walking from the parking area to the Inn, there is a structure next to the Inn that is almost falling down - not the kind of site you would expect to see. We were greeting by the host, who was not the owner, but was very personable and accommodating. Apparently, the owners are there for about 6 months of the year. The Living Room boasts a picture of a gentlemen, which one would think would be the sea captain that is mentioned on their website, but isn't. The guest room was disappointingly small with barely enough room for a small table with 2 chairs and wooden vanity (about 2 feet from the bed). While the weather was cool, the room was not (would not suggest staying there in the summer). Kept the windows opened for air, but the air was stagnant. However, it was nice to hear the sounds of the ocean at night. The bathroom was also quite small with just enough room for the toilet and shower stall. The Inn offers a 3 or 4 course "gourmet" breakfast. The disappointing gourmet breakfast actually consisted of a fruit "chilled" soup, a small/thin slice of banana date bread with a petal from a day lily on it, and either quiche or blueberry pancakes. Overall, the Inn was not what I was expecting.

7  Thank PATravelGal08
Reviewed December 29, 2008

My mom and I stayed at The Oceanside Meadows Inn for a few wonderful days in July 2008. This part of Maine is thankfully an overlooked treasure. Schoodic is a short 15 minute drive away with plenty of hiking and ocean watching-far from the crowds. Right on the property are trails and treasures to behold there. Across from the Inn is a beautiful cove. (Picture is included-and yes the water was really that blue.) I spent HOURS out on the rocks at the cove studying life in a tidal pool, watching a couple of bald eagles flying about, and just generally enjoying life away from the hustle and bustle. Everything about the Inn was fantastic-the accomodations, small fridge on the main level for all to use, fireplace to sit by at the end of the day, availability of tea all day, and the breakfasts! The food was fantastic. Each morning I couldn't wait to see/taste what had been prepared. The only disappointing thing was not being able to taste all seven of the breakfasts (they have a seven day rotation.) Well that will be remedied this coming July as we are going back there AGAIN.....and this time wil be able to stay for a week.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed November 1, 2008

We stayed here for 2 nights and wished it could have been for longer. The Inn is set in a beautiful location - unspoiled and natural, overlooking the ocean. The room was comfortable and the managers were welcoming and helpful - there was a bottle of sparkling wine laid on to celebrate our honeymoon. The Schoodic peninsula is simply divine - take a walk and picnic to the Acadia National Park in this region - a lasting memory of our stay there.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed September 5, 2008

My five day stay here exceeded all expectations. Oceanside Meadows Inn is in a stunningly beautiful location near the Scoodic portion of Acadia. The Inn is set on 200 acres next to the ocean. At least 2 acres is manicured gardens with flower beds, herb gardens, etc. and the flowers may appear as part of the gormet breakfast in the mornings. The are well marked trails for hikes through the woods and marsh behind the property. Crossing a two lane road gets you to a sandy beach with adjacent rocks to climb and watch waves. You really can hear the ocean waves at night in the ocean facing rooms. The staff is pleasant and friendly, and there was tea available all day. It is an easy drive to restaurants (Le Domaine served one of the best meals I have had in years) and Acadia. My partner and I had a great time and will definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank lotsofun40

Been to Acadia Oceanside Meadows Inn? Share your experiences!