“Way overpriced for a 2nd rate hotel”

Presque Isle Inn & Convention Center
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Presque Isle
Reviewed March 28, 2009

We were so disappointed that the rooms were so expensive and nothing great about it at all. We went to Las Vegas this past December during Christmas and New Year's week and stayed at the "Wynn" for $90 a night..... did you hear me....? The WYNN.... how can justify charging anything over $59.99???

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
KBSHOSPITALITY, Owner/Manager at Presque Isle Inn & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2009

I am sorry you found your accommodations “way over priced”, by no means does this make us a 2nd rate hotel. Had your accommodations not been satisfactory, I know my staff would have been more than happy to rectify any issues, had we been made aware of your dissatisfaction. Thank you for your input.

There are newer reviews for Presque Isle Inn & Convention Center

Reviewed February 12, 2009

We spent 4 days at the Presque Isle Inn earlier this month during our annual snowmobiling vacation. This was our first time traveling to Northern Maine. The hotel was in very good condition. The three rooms we booked had a new flat screen TVs and appeared to be recently renovated. Our group of 11 ate dinner in Gram Russo's restaurant every night that we were there and the men of the group had a great time in the lounge in the evenings. The gym was well appointed and the kids loved the indoor pool. The snowmobile trail was groomed right to the back door every night we were there. Five stars from us! We have already made our reservations for next February!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
KBSHOSPITALITY, Owner/Manager at Presque Isle Inn & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2009

Thank you for your comments. We look forward to serving you in the future.

Reviewed August 29, 2008

Pros: Large room. Good bedding, linens and furniture. Updated the TV during my stay. Adequate housekeeping. Room service from restaurant available. Pool and weight room in good order.

Cons: Ludicrously expensive. Building is run-down. Parking lot needs paving. Desk clerks surly. Hallway carpeting extensively stained. Some rooms allow smoking, odor carries. Restaurant quality and service poor. Room lighting inadequate. Shower spray like a fire hose.

As others have noted, previous owners have neglected this facility and it shows. The hallway carpets are extensively stained.

The bathroom sink in my room had cracks in its ceramic and was extensively stained with something brown. Light fixtures were antique and provided inadequate lighting. I had to run the air conditioner throughout my stay to keep the humidity in an acceptable range. The wall switches were in need of replacement.

However, all the furniture in the room was in fairly good shape, the bedding was clearly fairly new and the linens were of good quality. A coffee pot / makings and hair dryer were included.

Housekeeping did an adequate job, did not disturb my belongings unnecessarily and did an exceptional job of cleaning at midweek, including clearly removing some of the sink stains. An older TV was replaced with a newer, larger one at midweek.

Current ownership is clearly trying to fix what it can, which probably explains my "corporate rate" of $90 per night (posted rate was $140). Given the amenities (including a relatively clean pool and a relatively Spartan gym), that rate is about $20 too high.

I ate at the restaurant at midweek. The menu was mostly Italian and prices ran in the $20 per entree area, which is expensive for the area.

I was seated next to an un-bussed table that was never cleared.

Restaurant staff was friendly, save requiring me to stare at dirty dishes the entire time I was there, mystified by staff walking past it at least a half-dozen times.

The food was served hot and quickly. One small piece of chicken in my pasta was served with gristle attached; the caesar salad greens needed additional rinsing. Otherwise, the meal was very good.

I would consider staying here again if the room rate were more commensurate with the quality / amenities. Again, it is clear ownership is trying to improve the facility, but there's still a great deal to be done.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank dougvdotcom
KBSHOSPITALITY, Owner/President at Presque Isle Inn & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2008

Thank you for your observations in regard to our ongoing refurbishment of our property. I am pleased to know that your room received a new flat screen TV, as this completes the television upgrade. I am sorry you did not receive a room with a completed bathroom upgrade, but I am happy to know that everything was in working order and your room was clean and comfortable. As I write this to you today after walking the halls to my office at the property, I do not see any extensively stained hallway carpeting. I do however see some traffic areas in the main hallway that need to be cleaned. I assure you that this is scheduled to be taken care of when our occupancy is a little slower, than the prime humid season we are presently in. At no time should a hospitality staff member be surly or neglect job duties or responsibilities. Unfortunately without knowing the circumstances I cannot know what may have caused some of the issues you state, but I do apologize if we did falter. I am again, thankful for your comments, this will only help us to improve our number one goal of true customer satisfaction. I do hope if you come back to our area you will stay with us again.

Reviewed August 20, 2008

I stayed here Years ago. I can not beleive it is the same hotel;. The entire place is renovated. Still no elevator but heck its not the city. My room was very nice, clean new TV very spacious. The shower had HOT water steady..... with blow me over water preassure.
We ate at Gram Russos and the italian food was just as they said, just like Gram used to make. Well I guess if you had an Italian grandma. We had a cocktail in the bar and had a wonderful conversation about baseball with the bartender.
Did not use the pool or the fitness area but both very nice and again is all new since I satyed 8 years ago or so. The staff was friendly, even called at check in to check on my room.
I will return to this hotel when I return to my home town.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 19, 2008

It had been a very long day of driving and I had finally arrived in Presque Isle when I soon found that every place to stay locally was completely booked. I was sick of driving and after exhausting all my options I decided to try the Presque Isle Inn and Convention Center. I then called to find out what their nightly rate was and was told 130 a room the first time. I decided from the looks of the place I better go south to find a hotel that might actually be worth that much. Unfortunately there were a lot of local events in the area at the time and every hotel I searched was booked solid there as well. I then gave up my search and called the PI inn again and was surprised to find out that they could give me a business rate of 78 per night and thought to myself that was at least a little more appropriate. When I arrived and spoke to someone at the front desk the price changed yet again to 98 per night, and from there things just got horrible. I was placed in a room in the basement, which stunk of mold and mildew, and had no opening window or air conditioning of any kind. There was no phone to ask for a wake up call, and no alarm clock for me to set. I would have enjoyed the coffee provided if there were a coffee maker available or maybe ironed my clothes but there was no iron to go w/ the iron board provided. I would not have even woke up had I actually gotten a good nights rest, luckily I was wide awake in the morning due to the rock hard bed scattered with stains, and ancient sheet thin pillows. Had the staff been the slightest bit accomodating it still would not have improved my stay. Not even using my own blanket and pillow was able to make up for the horrible night I experienced in this hell hole!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank cicchino
KBSHOSPITALITY, Owner/President at Presque Isle Inn & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2008

I am sorry to read such a negative review. I hope you discussed your concerns with my management staff. Our basement level rooms although not renovated are not in the condition you describe. If you were that unhappy I know we would have taken care of your concerns, tried to locate a room that you felt was more suitable or given you a full refund. Since seeing your review I had management go through all basement rooms and all have phones, and there is no mold or mildew present. We do not have a rate of $130.00 nor do we have or ever charged a $98.00 rate for a basement room. All rooms are cleared by our housekeeping manager and then again spot checked by the management team.

Reviewed April 4, 2008

If you call the hotel directly 800-533-3971, you'll get the price $96/night + tax, for double room, non smoking.

Stayed: January 2008
Reviewed March 17, 2008

What a place..not...Room commercial rate was 86.00 amount charged in the credit card..124.54 HUH? The Gram Rusou restaurant, billed me further 5 minuted after paying the bill...Huh? No one seem to know why, someone is using my credit card numbers 5 minutes after the bill is settled. I would have been at the pool and someone was using my credit card numbers...Tips maybe? I left cash on the table.
The Pool-there shoud be a bathroom close to the pool..you have to go back to your room to use the bathroom while swimming..What does that mean..Pee in the pool..What's up with the signing out the towels! There are definately doller store quality, wore out! If the towels aren't left in your room at check out you will be billed for them..
Noise-Hallway noise all night long..Once the hotel bar closed the party moved what sounded like the hallway. Need sound proffing, could hear people walking in the halls and the floor above me.And let not forget the couple in the next room having a little to much fun,, if you know what I'm saying..We were up most of the night so were the kids and they sleep through anything.
I can go on and on..I spoke to the desk the next morning and he said "yeah the bar was packed last night!" AND? The room was 95 degrees turned off heat and opened window seem to be hotter, one setting maybe?Freakin' hot.
I'm waiting to hear from the manager about our stay on the weekend.Very disappointed!

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank holntuc
KBSHOSPITALITY, Owner/President at Presque Isle Inn & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2008

I was surprised to read this review. I believe that the day this was written, you had spoken to or received a message from our operations manager. I assure you that no one was fraudulently using your credit card. As we explained, your credit card was not charged until you checked out and the discrepancy in amounts was only a pre-authorization as well as a Canadian exchange rate added by the credit card company. You were never over charged for your room. We did issue a credit from our restaurant as a tip was added to your credit card by error and this was explained to you. Unfortunately you never discussed any other issues pertaining to your accommodations as stated in your review of our facility I do know you spoke to someone in the morning, prior to checking out, but we never had a chance to speak to you in regard to these issues. When you return to the area, I am in hopes that you will allow us the opportunity to extend our hospitality.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Presque Isle
#2 of 2 in Caribou
The Castle Inn
The Castle Inn
#1 of 4 in Perth-Andover

Been to Presque Isle Inn & Convention Center? Share your experiences!