“Perfection”

Portland Schooner Co.
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Sail with us on an authentic sailing vessel steeped in history - and have the experience of a lifetime. Bagheera and Wendameen provide the perfect vantage point to enjoy some of Maine's most beautiful sights and sounds - from the deck of a storied wooden schooner built in the early 20th century. For an afternoon, a day, or an overnight windjammer adventure, from Portland Harbor through the pristine waters of Casco Bay and beyond, refresh your spirit and excite your soul with an unforgettable sail reminiscent of a simpler time. Our 2018 Sailing Season begins Friday, May 11th 2018. Visit us online for bookings and reservations! We hope to welcome you aboard!
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My wife and I saw the Wendameen in the harbor and decided to take a cruise. The boat is beautiful and well restored. The Captain and crew were very professional and were more than happy to share their knowledge of the history of the boat and the area. It seemed to us that the whole crew were not just doing their job but were totally invested in the whole experience, both in their enjoyment of what they were doing and their obvious respect for the history of the boat.
One of the greatest pleasures was the silence once the motor had been shut down, the experience of the power of the wind and nothing but the noise of the sails and the movement of the boat were purely magical. Please note, if you are looking for a narrated tour take one of the other tours this is not the one for you. But if you are looking for authenticity together with the company of a crew that are happy to share their experience (and sense of humor) with you this is unequivocally the way to see the Portland Harbor.

All reviews
"tall ship"
"nice wind"
"sailing adventure"
in 2 reviews
"happy to answer questions"
"harbor seals"
"ferry terminal"
"light house"
"new england"
"sails"
in 43 reviews

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Liked the "real sailing" experience and the excellent condition of the ship. Experience was greatly facilitated by perfect weather.. clear, dry, nice wind. Parking can be difficult.

1  Thank Tom D
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Living in the Greater Portland area, I don't often take the time to do the touristy things that bring outsiders to Maine. This summer I decided to change that and look at home from a tourist perspective, and boy, am I glad I did!

My son came home for a short visit and we took an afternoon sail on the schooner, Bagheera, on one of Portland Schooner Company's 2 schooners sailing on Casco Bay.

To begin with, there is no more beautiful spot on earth than Casco Bay, and can really only be truly appreciated from the water.

The wind was brisk, the crew outstanding--very friendly and skilled- and our sail was much more fun than the sedate afternoon cruise we expected. Sails were taut, the boat heeled over to the rail, and she flew through the water with grace and elegance that brought joy to my heart reminiscent of sailing with my dad on our smaller schooner so long ago. The weather was perfect, the views spectacular. Portland Head Light from the water is gorgeous.

Our crew really demonstrated their expertise when a cooler top flew into the water unexpectedly, and they maneuvered the boat on a dime, tacking back and forth with effortless grace until the errant plastic could be retrieved from the bay.

All in all, a great day!

Reviewed August 30, 2013

This was one of the highlights of my vacation. I had never sailed before and was really excited about getting out on the Casco Bay. They allow you to bring your own food and drink including alcohol which makes for a great day out on the water. The weather was perfect the day we went out and the bay was fairly smooth. I was amazed by the two woman crew and the fact that they could hoist the sails and stand throughout the trip and in flip flops no less! They were even great when the kids "helped" them hoist the sails. Parking for this was a pain, the parking garage was full the entire day, but we found a day lot a few blocks down that gave us a great excuse to window shop and stop for dinner and Ice Cream after the sail. I would recommend this to anyone spending time downtown, it's very reasonably priced for two hours on the water. I'd love to go again for the sunset cruise this time.

1  Thank Kate T