“My first sail ever!”

Portland Schooner Co.
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Sail with us on an authentic sailing vessel steeped in history - and have the experience of a lifetime. Bagheera and Wendameen provide the perfect vantage point to enjoy some of Maine's most beautiful sights and sounds - from the deck of a storied wooden schooner built in the early 20th century. For an afternoon, a day, or an overnight windjammer adventure, from Portland Harbor through the pristine waters of Casco Bay and beyond, refresh your spirit and excite your soul with an unforgettable sail reminiscent of a simpler time. Our 2018 Sailing Season begins Friday, May 11th 2018. Visit us online for bookings and reservations! We hope to welcome you aboard!
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This was one of the highlights of my vacation. I had never sailed before and was really excited about getting out on the Casco Bay. They allow you to bring your own food and drink including alcohol which makes for a great day out on the water. The weather was perfect the day we went out and the bay was fairly smooth. I was amazed by the two woman crew and the fact that they could hoist the sails and stand throughout the trip and in flip flops no less! They were even great when the kids "helped" them hoist the sails. Parking for this was a pain, the parking garage was full the entire day, but we found a day lot a few blocks down that gave us a great excuse to window shop and stop for dinner and Ice Cream after the sail. I would recommend this to anyone spending time downtown, it's very reasonably priced for two hours on the water. I'd love to go again for the sunset cruise this time.

1  Thank Kate T
"tall ship"
"nice wind"
"sailing adventure"
in 2 reviews
"happy to answer questions"
"harbor seals"
"ferry terminal"
"light house"
"new england"
"sails"
in 43 reviews

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We recently were on-board the Bagheera for my bridal shower sail! My only complaint is that it went by too quickly. The boat was beautiful, and I was encouraged to help hoist the sails. The crew-members were fun and had lots of information to share.

The best part is that you can bring drinks and snacks aboard. (There's a bathroom onboard, too.)

Great activity in Portland to get you on the water on a floating historic monument. Highly recommended!

1  Thank TravelLikeaLocalVT
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We went on a sunset sail as a family. It was a privilege to sail on such a historic boat. It was terrific to watch the crew, and one of our kids even helped raise the sails. On the other hand, there were two groups on the boat who had little interest in the sailing experience and much more in drinking and partying. I wish we had not brought our kids along. While we could handle the overindulgence in alcohol, the foul language from these two groups was another story. It was not appropriate and really marred our experience. Perhaps we should have realized that a sunset sail meant party time...Or perhaps the groups should have been separated with families on one of the boats and the partiers on the other.

3  Thank ADDKET
Reviewed August 14, 2013

A beautiful way to explore Casco Bay-sailing on a 100 year old schooner. The crew were great sailors, and patiently let some of us lend a hand to hoist sails. Best 2 hours of my weeklong vacation.

See more reviews
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Great fun and an excellent sail. We got a beautiful day with good wind so we were able to sail all the way out of the harbour out past Fort Gorges to the Headlight lighthouse (commissioned by George Washington). The historic schooner 'Bagheera' won major races in the 1920's; this was real sailing; not puttering around with a motor. We had all the sails up and I got to help hoist the mainsail. The crew were fun & knowledgeable. This was one of the highlights of our trip through Maine.