“Great Vegetarian Food When All Else Failed”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Green Elephant

The Green Elephant
Ranked #5 of 607 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Description: Asian-inspired cuisine made with love.
Portland, Maine
“Great Vegetarian Food When All Else Failed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

It was hard to find a good vegetarian restaurant in many other parts of Maine so we were thrilled when we found this place. The staff is very friendly, efficient, and accommodating. We don't eat soy and seitan so it was nice to see many other options. We had the Fresh Rolls for a starter and the Steamed Assorted Vegetables w/ Peanut Sauce. Both were well made and delicious. I'm going to keep it simple here, this will be our go to place when in Portland Maine.

• Visited June 2014

• Hebrew first
Middlebury, Vermont
“One of our Portland favorites”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

I am honestly a little embarrassed to only be writing a review of this restaurant now. We have been coming to The Green Elephant for years and every time, and I mean literally every time, we have had an incredible dining experience. The food at this Portland establishment is some of the freshest and thoughtfully prepared in the city, which any Maine resident can tell you is quite a commendation. Although a vegetarian restaurant, its variety of asian inspired dishes appeal to vegans and self-expressed carnivores alike with hearty offerings like tofu tikka masala as well as lighter entrees like a green tea noodle bowl perfectly spiced and portioned. Every meal seems to be made of the freshest ingredients and of the highest quality, from the jasmine brown rice (delicious) to the vegetable dumplings. Yet what is truly excellent about this establishment is the service. The Green Elephant is a well oiled, yet incredibly friendly, machine. The waitstaff is knowledgable and accommodating, a team of fun twenty-somethings who seem passionate about providing excellent service. The food is always served promptly and piping hot, yet one never experiences that unpleasant sensation of being rushed and when one asks for a substitution ( I am particularly fond of soy meat) they are more than helpful.
All in all I can firmly say that to this day I can find no flaw with the Green Elephant. My only complaint might be that it is in fact so good that I find myself slightly hesitant to branch out, worried that any other meal at another restaurant of a similar price range would most likely pale in comparison. Bravo Green Elephant!

Recommended menu items:
Asian vegetable stir fry with Brown rice (sub soy meat for tofu, you won't regret it!)
Tofu tikka Masala
Char Guay Teow (Malaysian noodle dish)
Pineapple fried rice
Green tea Noodle
and of course their famous brussels sprouts

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Madeline S
Portland, Maine
“Nice atmosphere, healthy food, fairly priced.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

I was taken there for a birthday dinner while on vacation, and liked the place so much that we went back again the next day… :)

Visited July 2013
Maine
“Wonderfully yummy!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

Friends mentioned going here and having excellent meals, no matter what menu selection they chose. The night we went, a weekday evening, the restaurant soon filled with a wait time of 35 minutes. Once we checked out the menu, both of us were in a quandary as to meal choices because so much of the menu sounded worth a try. We opted to start with the Crispy Wonton and King Oyster Mushroom Tempura, with the Crispy Wonton being our favorite of the two, particularly due to the tasty chili sauce that came with the wonton. Pairing the chili sauce with the King Oyster Mushroom dish would have pepped that up a bit. Siamese Dream Curry Noodle and Panang Curry Vegetable & Tempeh, both colorful presentations with perfectly cooked veggies, were our main dish choices. Both were very good. Overall a very good experience with efficient and knowledgeable wait staff.

• Visited March 2014
Portland, Maine
“Amazing Food and Service!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

I went to The Green Elephant last night (a Wednesday) with my adult granddaughter. I wish I could remember the server's name, because he was wonderful: knowledgeable, pleasant and helpful. The restaurant is cute, the menu is extensive, and the food is remarkable. Neither if us is vegetarian, but we asked for the server's recommendations and took them. Brussell sprouts appetizer (delicious!), pad thai (best ever!) and a vegetable dish with red curry. For dessert we had mango with sticky rice. Everything was superb. I can't say enough about this place. I'm going back next week.

• Visited March 2014