“Vegan must go in Portland”
Review of The Green Elephant

The Green Elephant
Ranked #5 of 636 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Asian-inspired cuisine made with love.
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We ate here twice on our trip to Maine - we always plan around stopping in Portland to do so. Their many Thai recipes are very vegan friendly, and I've never had "Far East Duck", a traditional Buddhist seitan dish, better anywhere else! Their wine selection is good and the atmosphere is lovely - nice interior and very couples-oriented. It's in the next block from the Portland Art Museum, so makes a great evening finish.
The neighborhood is not the best and parking can be dicey, but well worth it. Try the Thai soups.

Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

After reading rave reviews, came here on my way from nyc to Acadia. Fisherman's grill was closed at 6pm so came here which is located downtown and next to a bar/lounge and filled with lots of young people in the 20s. Being a foodie, I find the food very average compared to food in nyc. It's vegetarian and southeast Asian style food like curry and noodles. The noodle in the ginger Thai noodle was a bit tough. Peanut curry was tasty but nothing special. Average dish prices are $12-15, and for 4 people with tip and tax will run about $70. So I think it's a bit pricey for what you get but maybe the area is expensive. As a comparison, In nyc you can get similar food for $8 to $12 at many places.

1  Thank 982PaulH
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Recommended by a local and glad I found the time to visit. Had the peanut curry (apologies for the pun) and it was devine. Great service, good food and a nice location. Enjoy.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stopped in portland on the way home from Nova Scotia. Ate at the Green Elephant and loved it. Started with the asparagus tempura salad (fantastic) then went on to lunch meals ranging from noodles to stirfry to curry. Even my picky 8 year-old was able to find something to delight her. I can highly recommend this restaurant!

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed The Green Elephant. The service was friendly and reasonably quick, and the food was quite good. My pad Thai was quite good, and it was prepared nice and spicy, as I prefer. My wife, who likes her meals not at all spicy, was happy with her stir fry vegetables with tofu. The spring rolls were terrific too.