“Even the tofu was good”

Ranked #5 of 627 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Description: Asian-inspired cuisine made with love.
Kansas City, Missouri
“Even the tofu was good”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Although not a vegetarian, I was tempted to try the Green Elephant due to its Tripadvisor reviews. They had an extensive menu. My order had a fried tofu fillet that had an excellent flavor and meaty texture, which was completely satisfying. The accompanying rice was plain, but the vegetables were as fresh and flavorful as could be. They had excellent coffee and local beers, which came with a glass without having to ask. Service was very friendly and relaxed. The location is great for watching the people go by through the large windows in this eclectic part of Portland.

• Visited May 2013

• Hebrew first
Dallas, Texas
“Vegetarian Heavan”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I had the Lemmon Grass Tofu stir -fry and it was fantastic. The service was also excellent and it is a really laid back atmosphere. All the dishes looked good. I highly recommend this place.

Visited May 2013
Bangor, Maine
“Likeable by even a non-vegetarian”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Being a meat-eater I thought I would leave hungry and have to stop and have dinner #2. Not only was I full, but I was satiated. Delicious food, friendly staff, great atmosphere.

• Visited March 2013
Hanover, New Hampshire, United States
“Fabulous”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

So good. Who needs meat? Loved the tamari brusselsprouts and the citrus "ribs" (which was a delicious meat stand in with veggies and rice). We had to wait about 30 minutes on a Sat. night (don't take reservations), but we were handed a buzzer that worked in the bar across the street. We were able to have a nice local draught while waiting.
Definitely would go again and again.

• Visited April 2013
Portland, Maine
“Doesn't get any better”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I'm vegan, but my meat eating friends are as thrilled with The Green Elephant as my vegetarian friends. The atmosphere is one of casual sophistication, with few wall displays other than some explanations of certain veggie components for those not familiar with them. The food is beautifully, subtly flavored with a great selection, the waitstaff is also helpful and prompt. This restaurant fills quickly and deservedly and, because I live in Portland, I return often.

• Visited April 2013