“An excellent stay”

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 20, 2010

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- I sometimes wonder what people expect when they go to a hotel like this. If they are looking for 5-start accommodations and perfection, then stay somewhere that will cost you way more than this.

I got this hotel for $75 for one night on Priceline. It was my first go with Priceline and I was worried, especially after reading some of the reviews here. In the end, I stayed one night, but would have been more than happy to stay for more.

THE GOOD

The check-in process was quick and painless. The front-desk staff were excellent the couple of times I needed something. They were friendly and quick.

The room looked excellent when I got in. It was clean, the internet worked well and it had everything I could need.

The bathroom was spotless and the water pressure in the shower was good enough. It was what I would expect from a 2.5-3-star hotel. Not anything grand, but not a dump, either.

The hotel is in an excellent location, close to the Old Port and easy to get downtown. There's spots nearby to be able to eat and there's a gas station in front of the hotel should you need to fill up or grab a few snacks.

THE BAD

I have only three minor complaints. And these wouldn't come close to persuading me to not stay here again.

- The bed was a little stiff for my liking, but that happens. I tossed and turned a bit during the night, but in the end slept OK.

- Lack of outlets in important spots. I wanted to sit in the one chair with my feet on the ottoman, watch some TV and surf the net a little. Finding an outlet that wasn't on the desk was difficult, so I ended up sitting at the desk. This seems to be at most hotels, though.

- Hot water. It took a bit for the hot water in the shower to kick in and then for it to find a happy medium when I was trying to dial it down a bit.

OVERALL THOUGHTS

This was an excellent hotel for a stay. I would easily stay here for a few days as the goods highly outweigh any minor negatives. The room was decently spacious and worked for a stay.

It's an overall solid spot and well worth a night's stay or more.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank softball29
There are newer reviews for Clarion Hotel

Reviewed October 17, 2010

The lobby looks like it has been updated recently. Other than that, it looks very dated and tired inside and out. The hallways are dark, musty. The rooms have not been updated in many years. The front desk were nice enough, but overall below average. I wouldn't say "poor", just below average. Not a good first impression of Clarion hotels.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed October 12, 2010

My wife and i stayed here over Columbus day weekend and even though they are remodeling, we had a great stay. The front desk agent was helpful and the rooms were spacious and clean. cab ride to the old port cost $8 - 10 so no problem there.

would stay/recommend

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We stayed at the Clarion for not the normal reasons; our son was in he hospital at Maine Medical Center for 21 days following a tragic accident. I cannot say enough about the staff, especially Jonathan, Caleb and Wayne. They took our grief personally, and gave us our space. They shuttled us where we needed to go, and always respected our privacy, while also inquiring how we were doing,etc. We felt as though we were among new family. I would like to say that the room, while not perfect, was always clean, and we were well cared for. The hotel itself is great, free internet, laundry service available, free coffee in the lobby, and a really good breakfast. Also, the bed and pillows are wonderful. The location can't be beat as well.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 8, 2010

Ugh. I'm sitting in it right now totally bummed we picked this place. Damp an falling apart.

• Stayed: October 2010
Reviewed September 21, 2010

I've stayed at a few places for my business trips to Portland but since I have choice rewards, I try to stay at a choice hotel. The Comfort Inn by the Airport was awful and I do not recommend. So I will come back here, the location is pretty good and close enough to everything including the mall and Old Port. My room was pretty clean, I've definitely had worse and it's comfortable. Had room service which was on time and the food was good. My only gripe is the one tiny elevator, I'm on the 5th floor but decided to walk up the stairs when I saw the 12 people waiting. I'll be back here so I can rack up my points, it's acceptable.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank blc914
Reviewed September 15, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel at least five times and have only good things to say about the place. The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and fairly modern and parking is free. Although the location is 2+ miles from the town center, the hotel offers a complimentary shuttle service to and from restaurants, bars and attractions in the town center.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple