I've said it before and I'll say it again -- I sometimes wonder what people expect when they go to a hotel like this. If they are looking for 5-start accommodations and perfection, then stay somewhere that will cost you way more than this.
I got this hotel for $75 for one night on Priceline. It was my first go with Priceline and I was worried, especially after reading some of the reviews here. In the end, I stayed one night, but would have been more than happy to stay for more.
The check-in process was quick and painless. The front-desk staff were excellent the couple of times I needed something. They were friendly and quick.
The room looked excellent when I got in. It was clean, the internet worked well and it had everything I could need.
The bathroom was spotless and the water pressure in the shower was good enough. It was what I would expect from a 2.5-3-star hotel. Not anything grand, but not a dump, either.
The hotel is in an excellent location, close to the Old Port and easy to get downtown. There's spots nearby to be able to eat and there's a gas station in front of the hotel should you need to fill up or grab a few snacks.
I have only three minor complaints. And these wouldn't come close to persuading me to not stay here again.
- The bed was a little stiff for my liking, but that happens. I tossed and turned a bit during the night, but in the end slept OK.
- Lack of outlets in important spots. I wanted to sit in the one chair with my feet on the ottoman, watch some TV and surf the net a little. Finding an outlet that wasn't on the desk was difficult, so I ended up sitting at the desk. This seems to be at most hotels, though.
- Hot water. It took a bit for the hot water in the shower to kick in and then for it to find a happy medium when I was trying to dial it down a bit.
This was an excellent hotel for a stay. I would easily stay here for a few days as the goods highly outweigh any minor negatives. The room was decently spacious and worked for a stay.
It's an overall solid spot and well worth a night's stay or more.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Clarion Hotel is a full service hotel located just 5 minutes from downtown Portland, Maine. The hotel offers a dining room, lounge, business center, pool, Jacuzzi, fitness center, on-site laundry. We pride ourselves on offering exemplary products and service to all our guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Choice Hotels, Booking.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Clarion Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Clarion Hotel Portland, Maine
- Clarion Portland
- Portland Clarion