“Great Hotel! Great Staff! Great Location!”
Review of Clarion Hotel

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 20, 2010

This hotel is great!! This is just my second stay, and I am going again in a couple of weeks for work. I stay in a lot of Choice Hotel Brand Hotels and this one it one of the best. I've stayed in Suite hotels that can't hold a candle to this place. Yes it seems to be an older hotel, but when it's as clean as this one, who cares if it's 100 years old!! I will stay here any time I am in the area. I'm going shopping when I go down in April, and even though I am going shopping in MA and NH, this is the only place I want to stay!!!!! :)

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank mhvchester
There are newer reviews for Clarion Hotel

Reviewed December 18, 2009

Brought my daughter and her friends to the hotel for an overnight Birthday pool party at the Clarion. The staff went out of their way to accommodate including signage at the pool and a gift bag for the birthday girl! The rooms were great, clean, comfortable and just what we needed for a weekend away. The pool and facilities were perfect. Food was great. Kid friendly options with high quality!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Chapmaine
Reviewed November 10, 2009

I travel to Portland quite often and have never been treated so poorly and had such a bad experience at a hotel than I did recently. There was not a lot of good to say about the hotel and I would discourage those who think the price is right to consider staying somewhere else in town or even in South Portland. The service is terrible from the moment you enter the door. Even the restaurant inside the bar is nothing to be desired. Not only is the food horrible, the service is poor at best, and you're treated as just another number to them as they are too busy and occupied to work. BE CAREFUL if you do stay at this hotel of the Happy Hour at Pete & Larry's the restaurant inside the hotel, as they state the prices on the menu, but when the bill comes the prices surprisingly change. Interestingly enough, I was told when I challenged the bill that yes, "the customer is always right", but the new bill was still wrong....they don't get it....I strongly encourage you to spend your hard earned money elsewhere. Thank you.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank portlandmainejm
Reviewed November 7, 2009

My first business stay in Portland, Maine had me at The Clarion for 2 nights. The pub atmosphere was very relaxing and the food was delicious at the hotel's Pete & Larry's restaraunt. All hotel and restaraunt staff were friendly and talkative. The hotel is located near all major routes which made my travel in and around Portland a breeze...I will stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank HotelJoe91
Reviewed November 1, 2009

I stayed at the Clarion because of it's convient location to the airport and downtown, I didn't have much for expectations but WOW I was pleasently surprised! Starting with the front desk, they were extremely pleasent and friendly ( even poured me a cup of coffee in the lobby at 4am as we were getting ready to leave for the airport). So my colleague and I went to the pub for dinner, the wait staff was friendly and the food was great, especaily for a pub. I really thought the fries in the flower pot was a nice and unique touch. We then checked into ours rooms, which were very clean. I have stayed at several hotels due to work and I don't usally write reviews but I felt right at home and comfortably here so I wanted to share this, well done to the staff of the Clairon! Thank you, this will be my choice to stay when in portland.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank troseboom
Reviewed October 23, 2009

The hotel is comfortable and OK if you are visiting Portland for a few days. Just watch though I used priceline.com and yet they still debited my credit card after my stay. I've been in dispute for weeks!! Not worth the hastle.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2009

Booked a room here through Priceline for Columbus Day weekend. Paid $70/nite while rack rate was $139. Positives: Easy to find location right off 295 and short drive straight into downtown Portland on Congress St; free parking; indoor pool (good if you have kids); fridge, coffeemaker and microwave in room; big vanity in bathroom with plenty of room for personal items; Neutrogena bath products (step up from standard no-frills hotel products). Not so positives: Decor in common areas and in the room was tired, generic late-'80s; although the room looked clean at first glance, there were old candy wrappers (not ours) on the floor between the bed and bedside table and dust bunnies underneath; chunk of baseboard falling off the wall; could hear neighbor's late nite TV shows through the wall and had to turn on heater to drown it out; piece of wall cut out in bathroom (to fix pipes?) and glued back on with bits of wallpaper hanging off. Also, no free breakfast included but Portland is a hot foodie town so plenty of places to eat! I think for the location and pool it was a good deal for $70/nite, but I would have been disappointed had we paid $139. I would take this hotel on Priceline again for a trip with children, but for a special or romantic weekend away I would pay more and book a hotel in the Old Port.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family