“Decent, standard hotel”

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #17 of 20 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed September 25, 2006

I had to take my aunt to Portland for a couple of doctors' appointments. The hotel was located right in between the two medical buildings we had to visit, so perfect location. Also very handy to the airport (and everything else, for that matter. Portland isn't very big). Room was clean with all expected amenities. I was pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled with family
1  Thank keagan
There are newer reviews for Clarion Hotel

Reviewed September 17, 2006

We only stayed the one night, but are already talking about going back. From the warm Chocolate Chip Walnut cookies at check in, the pleasant helpful front desk clerk (Blaine), to the comfortable room, bright lounge (bartenders were rather chatty with each other, but we weren't there to talk to them anyways), warm pool and exceptional shuttle service (along with the friendly knowledgeable driver - Tim), we could not have been more pleased with our stay. Very pleased!

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CelticTravellers
Reviewed August 16, 2006

I booked this for two nights on Priceline and was definitely treated like it. I checked in at 4PM and was told there were no king non-smoking rooms even though I overheard the clerk asking her supervisor whether she could give me one. (I'd called ahead to ask for king/non-smoking so it was put in my reservation.) I got the uncomfortable feeling of being "handled" with a fake, friendly smile. So I got two double beds even though I'm over 6' tall and was alone...

Fine, at least I got a non-smoking room - but it was the "pool room" (1st floor, first room in hall, next to manager's office) with a sliding glass door opening right out to the pool area!! Think noise - pool opens at 7AM, and kids are out there screaming and splashing at 7:01AM.

I tried to change rooms that next morning and was given the option of another non-smoking room/2 doubles which reeked of smoke. There were no other rooms. Foolishly, I chose to stay in the "pool room" the second night. They forgot to close the pool at 10PM and at 1:30AM some teenagers got in there and starting making a ton of noise!! Phone calls to the front desk went unanswered. So I had to throw clothes on and walk down there, furious. They closed the pool but I still heard people talking out there somewhere.

The hotel should NEVER sell a room like this, unless someone specifically requests one with pool access. I don't care how it is booked, Priceline or otherwise - it's completely unacceptable.

Being near the pool made it more necessary to use my A/C unit even though it wasn't all that hot this August weekend, but the A/C barely kept the room cool. It also shut off from time to time (so no blocking pool noise).

Also, the hotel ran out of shampoo - they claimed their shipment hadn't come in. No offer to provide some. I was able to get some from the previous hotel I'd stayed at the day before, but this is kind of unaceptable for a 3-star hotel.

Only upside to the hotel was the shuttle service, which I used several times to get to and from the Old Port. The drivers were on time and helpful. But it wasn't enough - I'd never want to stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled solo
3  Thank AndrewHHH
Reviewed August 1, 2006

Got a fantastic deal on Hotwire, and it was worth every penny. The TV went down for a few hours, but that is not their fault, and it was fixed relatively quickly. Location is not great, but would be ok if you were passing through, or on a road trip like us. Portland was way more beautiful than i expected. why did no one talk it up in my internet searches?

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MarcK-B
Reviewed July 29, 2006

When we arrived at this hotel, men were sitting and
smoking on the curb directly outside the front door. Upon
checking-in, there was no offer of assistance with
bags. When we slept through our requested wake-up
time for my son's college visit appointment the next morning,
after a long wait, desk clerk Curtis picked-up the phone.
His explanation was "Nothing was written on the paper."
The Portland Doubletree's wake-up system must be manual.
At any rate, Curtis offered no apology at all. At this price, better to try another hotel.

Stayed: July 2006
2  Thank Vacance2006
Reviewed July 19, 2006

I got a pretty good rate at the Doubletree Portlande on Priceline -- $100 a night. Portland, btw, is a perfect sized city to use Priceline: the city is compact and easy enough to negotiate that it doesn't really matter where you end up.

The hotel looks pretty motor inn-basic from the outside, but the lobby feels upscale and the desk staff, while pretty busy (they handle telephone reservations as well as check-ins) was competent and helpful. They helped iron out a minor problem -- we had requested two beds but got only one; they very quickly moved us into another room.

The hotel restaurant offered a good-value breakfast buffet if you went with the basic Contentintal option, but if you must have bacon and eggs you're stuck with the steam-table.

The room was spotless, the bathroom decent, and, since it was uncharicteristicly hot in Portland, its air conditioning was a blessing -- although it was a tad loud, made noticable because it had to run constantly.

Everyone we dealt with was cheerful and helpful, and the parking was free. There is a fitness center and a decent small pool, although there is no business center. The in-room wireless network worked flawlessly, however, so if you bring a laptop you're set on that front.

All in all a very nice place, especially at our price point. I would definately stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Casey1994
Reviewed July 3, 2006

I was concerned about this hotel after getting it on Hotwire and then reading the reviews here. But alas, there was nothing to worry about.

Although the hotel is not right in the center of Portland, it is close to the Portland Sea Dogs (Red Sox AA farm team) stadium. It's about a 5-10 minute ride to the city ... no big whoop. The plus side of the location is that when you're ready to depart, you're very close to a variety of gas stations, convenience stores, and the highway.

The hotel lobby was considerably cozy, with warm decor and atmosphere. We had a room with double beds. Although the bottom trim was missing along the entire room, our mini-abode was clean. The bathroom had considerable promise, with good amenities (ex. Neutrogena bath products) and customizable shower massage. The only downside of the bathroom was the insulation. It sounded like very young kids near us were having a grand ol' time until midnight; we could hear them through the vent.

Mornings were nice, with complimentary coffee/tea and local newspaper.

The pool and hot tub were situated in an airy space. The fitness room had just enough equipment, with cute cartoons to put a smile on your face.

• Stayed: July 2006