Clarion Hotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Portland Regency Hotel & Spa(Portland)(Great Value!)
$139
$105
Ramada Plaza Portland(Portland)(Great Value!)
$85
$159
  • Pool
Portland Harbor Hotel(Portland)(Great Value!)
$142
$157
$143
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay(Portland)(Great Value!)
$110
HolidayInn.com
  • Pool
Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Waterfront(Portland)(Great Value!)
$111
Residence Inn
  • Breakfast included
The Westin Portland Harborview(Portland)(Great Value!)
$119
  • Room Service
$153
$139
All reviewsroom was cleanold portfront desk staffpool and hot tubomeletconvenient locationshuttle servicefree shuttlecoffee makercookiesdowntownamtrakmainesurgeryproximity
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 3, 2006

I was concerned about this hotel after getting it on Hotwire and then reading the reviews here. But alas, there was nothing to worry about.

Although the hotel is not right in the center of Portland, it is close to the Portland Sea Dogs (Red Sox AA farm team) stadium. It's about a 5-10 minute ride to the city ... no big whoop. The plus side of the location is that when you're ready to depart, you're very close to a variety of gas stations, convenience stores, and the highway.

The hotel lobby was considerably cozy, with warm decor and atmosphere. We had a room with double beds. Although the bottom trim was missing along the entire room, our mini-abode was clean. The bathroom had considerable promise, with good amenities (ex. Neutrogena bath products) and customizable shower massage. The only downside of the bathroom was the insulation. It sounded like very young kids near us were having a grand ol' time until midnight; we could hear them through the vent.

Mornings were nice, with complimentary coffee/tea and local newspaper.

The pool and hot tub were situated in an airy space. The fitness room had just enough equipment, with cute cartoons to put a smile on your face.

• Stayed: July 2006
3  Thank ExtraPickles
Reviewed July 1, 2006

We booked a suite and they put us in it even though it was under renovation. There were no baseboards and the wall paper was peeling. We had our infant daughter with us and the port a crib they provided was broken and did not give us a crib sheet. One of the sides kept collapsing.
Service was ok.
Location was ok.....nothing around.
Elevator was very slow.
Bed was comfy.

• Stayed: May 2006
1  Thank Heard
Reviewed May 15, 2006

This is my 4th stay at the Portland Doubletree and I love it! I've generally been able to get an $85 internet rate that makes this place a great value. It's always clean, well appointed and the staff are friendly and helpful. The only down side is the excessively slow (and small)elevator; just avoid the rush hours and you're okay. Also, request a room on a higher floor facing the city to get a nice view!

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank chauntzie
Reviewed February 20, 2006

I was a little worried about staying here after reading some of the negative reviews, but I had no problems during my three night stay. The hotel itself is a boxy low-rise near the airport and on the outskirts of town. I suspect their main draw is their proximity to the bus/train station and the airport. The common areas are nicely appointed and comfortable, but don't expect a 10 story atrium when you walk in. All the staff I met were helpful and courteous. There is a nice indoor swimming pool and hot tub and have room service. I love the warm chocolate chip cookies at check in...and the staff were more than happy to provide us with extras when we asked. The hallways are a little dark and depressing, but my room and bathroom were both immaculately clean, which is very important to me. Not much within walking distance, but there's plenty of free parking at the hotel itself and Portland is small enough that you can get anywhere with a few minutes drive, and the price is right. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2006
4  Thank panicked
Reviewed January 12, 2006

We were staying at the Doubletree to visit with our grandchildren the week between the holidays. From the reviews I expected a bad experience. It was fine. I especially like the big warm pool and hot tub complex. The hot tub needs hand rails for safety entering however. The room was comfortable for the 4 of us, and the mattress and bed linens were luxurious. We stayed in for most meals eating in the lounge and once dining in the restaurant. The food was fine. The morning buffet had 3 price levels, and also offered a menu selection. It is very conveniently located near 295, and about a mile or two from downtown. The decor is traditional and maybe a little dated, but not dirty or worn out.

• Stayed: December 2005