“Fun Birthday”

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #17 of 21 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This was a great hotel for my daughters birthday. Management went out of their way to make sure that I had an adjoining room and everyone we encountered was very pleasant. The pool area was great for swimming but the hot tub at the end of the night needed some work. We reported the problem and it was corrected by the next morning. Our rooms were clean and well taken care of. A great value for the money!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Greg M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Thanks Barbara D019!

I'm so happy to hear your daughter’s birthday was a success. We are a very family friendly hotel and our indoor pool comes in very handy this time of year.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I am a partially disabled 73 year old resident of Southern Maine who twice needed to escape my home becausae of severe weather conditions, one of those times being the "Blizzard of 2013"....On both occasions I found the clarion Hotel to be the perfect place....The hotel was inexpensive, clean, well appointed, and very accomodating....Don Lema, the Guest Services Manager at the desk was friendly and helpful every step of the way, and other staff, such as Patrick and Geri were courteous and very helpful when I needed it....The pub-style restaurant, Pete and Larry`s, was equally friendly, service good, and very good food...The breakfast buffet is a meat-lover`s paradise, the 1/2 pound burgers exceptional, and the beer-battered fish and hand cut french fries fabulous...All things considered, this will be my regular home away from home when I need one...I enthusiastically recommend it.... Ralph Zieff 3.8.13

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Thanks Mr. Zieff!

From Don, Patrick, Geri and the whole Pete and Larry's team, you are welcome back anytime! We appreciated having you here during the storms. Feel free to come in for breakfast or dinner, even if the weather is great!

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Took a shopping trip down to Portland for March Break and needed to book a hotel room last minute. We rolled the dice and booked the room through Priceline (about $50/night) and were not disappointed. The hotel was very nice with a decent size heated pool. The staff were super accommodating and very friendly (even provided us with a bottle opener for our wine). Free parking and wifi were a bonus. The room was clean and the beds were quite comfortable. The hotel rooms do need a bit of updating, but it's normal wear and tear. Hotel provides the choice of feather or non-feather pillows on the bed (which was nice). Location was good and easy to find off exit 5. Would definitely stay here again :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Thanks Tamara P!

We appreciate your positive feedback. Be on the lookout for some improvements in our guestrooms in the coming months.

I'm glad you came down to do your shopping. As you know we are pretty close to both the Maine Mall and downtown so you get the best of both worlds.

See you on the next trip.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Last minute travel decision found me in Portland for a few days. Even without much prior notice, I was able to reserve my usual room, which was spotlessly cleaned and ready for my slightly early check-in. With the inclement weather, shuttle to/from the train station was greatly appreciated! The remodeled/relocated bar/restaurant was a welcome surprise. My only fault with it was the small size of the actual bar, in comparison to the larger size in the former location. Nonetheless, service and food/drinks were excellent. The front desk staff and management (especially Blaine) provided their usual high quality of customer service. Thanks, again, and I look forward to my next stay!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo

Thank you Kaivenice for the nice post.

Blaine and the rest of the team appreciated seeing you again. I'm happy to hear you liked the renovations to the restaurant. You are correct that our old bar was bigger, but there is plenty of lounge seating to accommodate the masses!

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

From our check in to check out all the staff was very accommodating and friendly. Our room was very clean and we enjoyed the large pool area. The restaurant, Pete & Larry's is right in the hotel and very convenient. The staff was also excellent and food tasted great & fresh. Overall it was a great experience and I would definitely suggest it. Prices were very affordable as well.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you ABLphotography.

I'm happy to hear you were able to take advantage of our amenities.

We appreciate your positive feedback and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My sister had emergency spinal surgery and needed to stay at New England Rehab in Portland. Clarion is one of the hotels in the area that offer a medical rate. During my two week stay there, everyone was friendly and helpful. I felt safe and the room was very comfortable, A few nights I ate at the restaurant, the food was very good. They have a really nice breakfast buffet with omelet and waffle stations. There is an on-premise laundry room and even a shuttle service that took me back and forth to the hospital. It made a very stressful time in my life much less so, thanks to the staff at the Clarion Portland.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank NewEnglandTraveler99

Thank you New England Traveller 99.

We know that there are few things in life more stressful than having a loved one in the hospital. Our team understands this and works hard to make our guests feel at home. The title of your post means more to us than you could ever know.

We hope to see you again soon (under less difficult circumstances of course).

Warm regards

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This stay was enjoyable, comfortable, with friendly staff.Excellent value especially in the winter, and with priceline, it was even easier on the wallet.

IWe don't recommend the restaurant, but they do have a pool and a hot tub.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I'm happy to hear you found that your experience exceeded the value of the price you paid. I'm sorry your experience in our restaurant was not as you hoped, however. We are currently redesigning our menus for breakfast and dinner and hope you will give it another chance on your next stay.

We look forward to seeing you again.