“Not a 3 star!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Caribou, Maine, United States
“Not a 3 star!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I met some family members at the hotel late on a Friday. They had booked it on Priceline as an Express Deal (A discount on the room rate at an anonymous hotel until you pay). We looked at it online and it didn't look too bad...after all it was rated 3 stars. The hotel was easy to find and staff were pleasant and helpful. Our room smelled strongly of air freshener, as if the previous guest had been smoking and the room was sprayed to mask the smell. The bathroom mirror had toothpaste splatter on it, the toilet took forever to drain, and the shower drain didn't stay up on it's own so we had to stuff a washcloth in it. There was no city directory or hotel directory in the room for that matter. The coffee packets in the room were opened when we went to make coffee in the morning, as if they had been opened by the previous guest and not thrown away. The only positive is that there were a microwave and refrigerator in the room and the beds were comfortable. The pool was also nice and it was quiet, but the hot tub water appeared green. If you are just looking for a bed to sleep in and don't plan on using any amenities (including the shower) then this place would be good...if you are looking for a clean place to stay, with working facilities then try looking somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Casey N
Greg M, General Manager at Clarion Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Thank you for making the time to share your experience with us Casey N. I cannot tell you how sorry I am to hear of all of the inconveniences you suffered during your family's stay. Our team strives to exceed the expectations of our guests and we are disappointed that we were unable to do so.

If mistakes are made, we take it to heart. I encourage our guests to raise any concerns they may have with our team and we will make every effort to make sure you are satisfied before you leave.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I just spent another 4 nights at The Clarion. I Have always come back here because of the close location to the Old Port area without the outrageous downtown prices. The staff here has always been a pleasure. My room has always been great. Can't say enough. Special thanks to Blaine, who always remembers and welcomes us back, they are lucky to have him.

Room Tip: One word. Blaine
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jennifer D
Thanks Jennifer D! We were happy to see you back at the Clarion. As you said, our location just outside of town enables us to offer a better price then you would find on the water. Blaine appreciates your thanks and looks forward to seeing you on your next trip.
boston,ma
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We wanted a quick trip away and decided on Portland Maine. We went on Priceline to try to get a last minute deal. We arrived around 3:30 pm, our room was ready which was great however once we settled in the room had an odd spell and we couldn't put our finger on it. It smelled like Frito chips masked by the fragrance of the comforter which also had a damp smell. We decided oh we'll it's paid for. We headed to the pool area and were quickly disgusted in not only the strong chlorine smell but you couldn't see the bottom of the pool because it was so cloudy. We checked out the hot tub and it looked terrible also like it could use a good cleaning. The next morning I awoke to the shades drawn but light filtering in through the shade like a million stars. When I checked the shade it was so worn from repeated opening and closing that looked like Christmas lights in our dark room. This hotel stay was awful so far. We decided to go down and have breakfast but it is not worth the $8.95 price. The coffee was watered down. The French toasts sticks were so hard they were inedible. The potatoes were flavorless and my wife refused to try anything else. Does anyone try this stuff before the put it out? We will not be using another Clarion if this is the standard.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tempted_44
Thank you for making time to share your experience with us tempted_44. I am sorry you do not feel that we did not exceed your expectations. We appreciate your direct and candid feedback and will use it to make ourselves a better hotel.

Thank you for staying with us, and please call on me directly if I may ever be of service.
Montpelier, Vermont
Reviewed January 21, 2013

A fan of the Clarion hotel chain in general with the Northampton MA location in specific I booked at this hotel for a stay in the Portland area.

At first blush this property seems very nice and welcoming. The lobby of this hotel is beautifully furnished with warm colors, and is very clean and welcoming, but that is where the positives end.

After check in the second impression one gets is of the elevator. The elevator was not heated and it being January in Maine it was very cold.

The hotel hallways were dirty and appeared to not be vacuumed upon my arrival to the hotel which I found pretty odd as I had checked into the hotel pretty early in the day - right around check in time. On my way to my room I noted a cigarette butt on the floor of my non-smoking floor. Figuring it was still early hotel housekeeping staff had not had a chance to clean the hallways. I walked by the same cigarette butt an hour later - then again several hours later, and again the next morning on my way to check out of the hotel. There was also dirt caked in the molding around the fire doors of the hallway.

The room was very basically furnished and seemed pretty clean, but my experiences in the hotel hallway left me wary and I opted to wear my shoes around my hotel room too scared to walk around in more comfortable footwear.

The night of check in and the morning of check out the hotel hallways reeked of cigarette smoke. Upon further investigation I noted several housekeeping staff coming out of a stairway with the stench of smoke following them. On check out morning I complained about the cigarette smell in the hallway of the non smoking floor and was told by the gentleman at the desk that guests often will smoke in the stairways - where it appears that the actual culprits are the hotel staff.

More troubling I also had a security issue while staying at the hotel in the form of vandalism to my vehicle which resulted in hundreds of dollars worth of repair costs and in a voice mail to the general manager I requested a follow up. It is now a week later and I have had no contact from the general manager. I am very disappointed with the lack of follow through on upper management's part on this extremely troubling security issue. The lack of leadership and inattentiveness at this property certainly goes a long way to explaining why the stay was so unsatisfactory and why I would recommend that others look elsewhere for a place to stay in the Portland vicinity.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Scarlet_Be
Thank you for your feedback Scarlet_Be. While I can comfortably assure all guests that our associates are not permitted to, nor do they smoke in our stairwells, it is an unfortunate reality that some of our guests choose to disregard our smoke free policy. We are a 100% nonsmoking hotel. More importantly, I am so sorry that your call was not returned. I would never knowingly disregard a message from a guest and unfortunately cannot find a record of your call. I know how frustrating that must be and when I read your post, I sent you a separate note to your Trip advisor mailbox. I hope that you will respond so that I may find out more information about your security issue.
West Forks, Maine, United States
Reviewed January 6, 2013

I always stay at the Clarion in Portland because the service is so outstanding. They proved to me that they go above and beyond on our last stay there. I drove my dad and uncle down to Portland as they were flying out the next morning. My Uncle left his cell phone at the hotel and realized it only once at the airport. The shuttle driver said no problem I will go back and get it and meet you right back here in about 15 minutes. As promised the shuttle driver went back to the hotel, up to the room, grabbed the phone, and brought it to the airport. How awesome is that!

The rooms are always neat and clean. The lobby is so warm and welcoming, and the pool is heated...for real...it is warm, and big!

Thanks again Portland Maine Clarion! You guys rock!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you Karen K! It’s always great to have you back as our guest. The team loves to see you and is looking forward to your return. Many of us equally look forward to getting up to your neck of the woods this summer for some great rafting! See you next trip.
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed January 1, 2013

At first I didnt mind the little tiny hole in the wall it didnt bother me until I GOT CHARGED FOR IT! i had NOTHING to do with that hole!! and ON TOP they charged me a SMOKING free saying I smoked in the hotel room!!! are you $%&^% kidding me? I went down 6 flights of stairs every hour to smoke a butt OUTSIDE in a SNOW STORM!! WHY THE HELL WOULD I SMOKE IN M ROOM.
Manager BRUCE on phone accused me of being a liar and yelling at me! I HATE this I NEED ANSWERS WHERE IS DON GIBSON GENERAL MANAGER

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Matt N
Matt N,

The comfort of our guests is important. They deserve a room free from damage and odor. I believe it is important that all potential guests of the hotel know that you and I spoke. During that conversation you admitted to having made the hole in the wall with your suitcase and agreed to pay the damage fee. We are a nonsmoking hotel and charge a considerable penalty fee to guests that smoke in the room to protect future guests from having to stay in a room that smells like smoke. The room that you left smelled as though it was smoked in. I did, however, give you the benefit of the doubt and refunded this portion of the fee after our conversation. It is possible that the smell was carried over from your clothing given that you and your roommates went down 6 flights of stairs every hour to smoke.
Bangor, Maine
Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

Traveled to Portland for the Polar Express with my kids & parents, booked 2 rooms on Priceline, GREAT price. Lobby is beautiful, indoor pool & hot tub kids loved. Pool could use a little work, but clean which is more that I can say for some places I've stayed. Rooms clean, beds comfy. Overall, very enjoyable experience.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family