“Great Place to Stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
West Forks, Maine, United States
“Great Place to Stay”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This hotel is awesome! The staff are all so friendly and helpful. You get the feeling that you are staying with family. The lobby is warm and welcoming. The rooms are large, clean, and comfortable. The pool is always so warm...it is nice to swim in this pool and watch the snow fall outside. We have stayed several times so many times that my 7 year old calls it her hotel! I have sent friends and family to stay at the Clarion in Portland Maine and they love it too.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Bolingbrook, Illinois
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I got a much lower price for this hotel than others in Portland because we used Priceline, so I can't complain too much about the hotel. It was listed as 3 stars, but we were a little disappointed when we thought about other 3 star hotels we've stayed in. I would consider it to be a two and a half. The place is a little dated and the hallways smelled slightly musty, but the front desk people were very very nice and helpful and the area felt safe and parking was free.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Amootrav
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 15, 2012

I belong to the Choice Hotels loyalty program, so opted to stay at the Clarion Hotel on my recent trip to Portland, Maine, rather than the local B&B where I'd stayed before.

On check-in, the gentleman on the desk gave me an upgrade to a business class room, which I appreciated, as it had a mini fridge and microwave in the room, as well as a spacious desk and comfortable work area. The decor is done in neutral colors; the bed was comfortable with a good firm mattress. I also appreciated that the hospitality tray with coffee, tea, etc., was restocked when needed.

The only maintenance issue I had is on the first evening I discovered my TV didn't work. When I was leaving the next morning to sight-see, I mentioned it to the staff member on the desk and by the time I returned it was fixed.

With the exception of the woman waiting tables in the restaurant on the Saturday morning, all the staff members were very helpful and responsive. The restaurant is the only negative. I had asked if there were some whole grain options as far as cereal, bagels, etc., and was told very snottily that there were not. The waitress further said she had no grapefruit available, yet someone who came in after I did ordered grapefruit and they got it. After that experience, I ate elsewhere in the mornings. The prices weren't terrible, but the food was mediocre and the service abysmal.

Even if I weren't getting points for my stay, I'd choose this hotel again, but I'd likely never eat at the restaurant again unless they get new wait staff.

Room Tip: I always ask for a room on a higher floor; it's usually quieter in places that have first floor...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank amethyst23
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 27, 2012

My fiancé and I wanted to explore Maine's coastal attractions this weekend so we ended up at the Clarion because of it's location, price, and amenities. The staff at check in were very polite and efficient. We were on the 5th floor and had no issues with our room aside from some channels not working. The front desk staff tried to remedy it but could not. It was not a big deal as we ended up ending the day with a dip in the pool and a soak in the hot tub. The next morning we took advantage of the breakfast buffet (10.95+ tax/person) as it seemed like the most cost effective way to get breakfast. It was excellent- it even included waffles and omelette made to order! The woman who was running breakfast was very nice. We will definitely return.

Room Tip: This hotel is close to an airport so I would recommend seeing if there's an area least affected...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TeaHouseQueen
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed May 14, 2012

For the price we paid this was a decent stay. It's a lower end 3 star. The room was alright, clean, but the light switch wasn't working right, also the door to the bathroom kept on wanting to get stuck. There is no complimentary breakfast, and we didn't try the grill. I was mostly disappointed about the fitness room. It was too small with only a few pieces of equipment, only one treadmill. I would definitely recommend they get rid of two useless vending machines (why would you want those I a fitness room anyway?), and make space oldie another treadmill or just place to stretch and such. It is also very hot in there because of the pool.
It is about 2 mile walk to downtown, so don't expect to have it next door.
The staff is great and very helpful.
Once again, it's Clarion we are talking about. Don't expect too much. Clarions everywhere tend to be rundown and old.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank marmishka
Bismarck
Reviewed May 14, 2012

The hotel is between the airport and downtown on a main road - convenient for my three-day business trip. The restaurant is a bit funky, but the food and service were excellent for the price. Room was good-sized. Washer and dryer near the elevator on my floor. I have the impression that it's a 50 year old property that needs another major update, but it met my needs. Pets are allowed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Clearwater, Florida
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Wow what an outhouse! I can't see out the window due to gross white film.Fan doesn't work in bathroom,which is smaller than my closet at home.There is grime on the sills,smells like an ashtray.A moldy sitting chair,stains on the bedruffle.I can't use the air conditioner due to the smell.$93 for this.I'll never stay at any Clarion ever again.Don't let the lobby fool you.

Room Tip: Find another Hotel,and check your room first,before you pay.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends