“Come for the cookie, stay for the bed.”
Review of Clarion Hotel

Clarion Hotel
Ranked #18 of 21 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 22, 2007

Booked through Priceline - $75 a night. Very nice, clean room. Big comfortable bed. Free wireless internet and friendly staff. The location is not ideal, its near the highway, but its a five minute drive to the port area, and there was lots of available parking nearby.

Overall a good choice.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 16, 2007

We just came back from a family reunion held at this hotel. The hotel location makes it hard to walk anywhere, but the shuttle services provided gratis by the hotel were wonderful. The hotel itself was fine -- nothing special, but clean and well-equipped. We did have a problem with a driving rain coming in through the window seals on several floors, and the resulting mess of blowers and dehumidfiers made for a discouraging ambiance for a few days. But the pool was warm, the hotel restaurant was servicable, and the staff was uniformly helpful and friendly.

If we could have afforded to stay within the Old Port area, we would have done so. But given that we needed to stay at a place we could book for $100+/night less than the nice Old Port hotels, this was a fine choice.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed September 28, 2007

This was an excellent hotel stay for us. I would consider this a very decent example of a Doubletree Hotel. Although we booked with Priceline, we were given our choice of room location. We had a nice upper floor room looking out towards downtown. Let's not forget, this is Portland, Maine, not Beverly Hills. This hotel is not the Peninsula, but it also isnt $500 per night. Adjust you expectations, and you will be perfectly satisfied, as we were.

The bed was amazing, front desk staff exceedingly helpful, and location was very convenient to downtown. We had no issues whatsoever.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed September 3, 2007

Over all, it was an OK hotel stay. The hotel is an older one from the look of things. Though the room was not overly warn, it had a dated look.

The room itself was clean as was the bathroom. But, there was an odor that we just couldn't put our finger on. We really noticed it once we went to bed . . . my husband thought it smelt like fish, I thought it smelt like a dead mouse. With a bit of sniffing, we determined that it was some of the pillows that were on the bed! Ewww. The rest of the bedding did not have an odor, so I am assuming that at some time, someone must have spilled something on those pillows (which there were 5 of for the King Sized bed.)

The hotel itself appeared to be rather booked for the weekend. There wasn't an over abundance of noise though. But I must note that we did hear lots of hallway noise (inconsiderate neighbors banging their doors all hours of the day). There was also lots of water noise from the bathrooms of other rooms. Didn't hear voices from the rooms next door though.

The pool area is nice with a farily large pool for a hotel, though the hot tub turned my silver bracelet into a dull pewter color.

Didn't try the hotel restaurants.

Easy to get to off of the highway with ample parking.

Booked this hotel through Priceline for $70 -- for that price I'm satisfied. Wouldn't be happy if I had to pay the normal price though.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2007

I've stayed at Doubletree's before and this one appears to have just gone through a management change, and if not, there isn't much excuse for the lack of attention to the details. We arrived after traveling all day. There was only one cookie in the warmer for our family of four, but a cold cookie is better than no cookie for three of us. Once in the room, I found out that the remote didn't work. I picked up the phone to call the front desk that I needed some batteries. The phone didn't work either. No dial tone - nothing. I checked all the connections back into the wall and everything seemed fine. I went down to the lobby and had to wait in line for another ten minutes while two families checked in. The front desk clerk only had one battery. To her credit, she offered to send a technician up to the room to fix the phone and would send someone out later for batteries. I told her that my wife and kids were already in bed and that I'd take the one battery she had (she didn’t offer, I had to ask). It didn't work in the remote anyway, so I was left having to get up and down (just like the old days) to change the channel. Except this was a Doubletree and although the pillows are nice, getting up to lower the volume sucked. In the morning I went down for the breakfast buffet. True to their standards, the eggs were ice cold. A heating element had gone out. The waitress did bring over a plate of eggs for our table, but that was the only look we got for the rest of the meal. No seconds on eggs. Also, for some reason, one of the coffee urns had cold coffee in it as well. I lucked out by picking a warm urn, but another guest complained that the coffee in a different urn was cold. I filled out the guest survey, but I haven't heard from Doubletree, nor do I think I will. But if you are in Portland ME, and you are forced to stay in the Doubletree, ask for any room except #606.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank chesapeakesun
Reviewed August 11, 2007

I wouldn´t recommend this hotel. Far from the city centre, I think you can find something better (and closer to Portland highlights) for the same price. The hotel is just OK. Rooms are average, nothing special at all. The breakfast was good and not expensive, but as I said it is better to find an hotel closer to the downtown.

Stayed: May 2007
Reviewed June 15, 2007

We just spent one night at the Doubletree; it was a business trip and the meeting was at the Doubletree. Otherwise, we would have chosen someplace right in the down town area so that we could walk to the downtown attractions and restaurants. I would not suggest walking into the downtown area from here; no sidewalks and inadequate lighting at night for sections of it make it a hazardous journey. Nevertheless, it was a five minute drive to the Old Port and evening parking rates in one of the lots were cheap.

Our room was lovely. It was quite clean, odor-free and well-kept up. The bathroom sparkled. The bed was comfortable. In fact, the room looked recently refurbished.

There's a pool. Unfortunately, it is the first thing you smell as you walk in the lobby.

Front desk staff was pleasant and check-in was a breeze -- and we got two chocolate chip cookie (wish they would offer some without nuts). Check out went even faster.

Finally, I thought that for it's location (not downtown, not on the water) and what it offered that it was a bit over- priced.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business