After reading many reviews and looking for somewhere reasonable to stay in the downtown Portland area, I settled on the Holiday Inn, over the competition.
Pros: Free parking in the garage, great location to Congress Street (near LL Bean Outlet, many restaurants, bars, Civic Center), nice rooms, nice bathrooms.
Cons: More of a walk to Commercial St and the actual Old Port area (didn't bother me but some older travellers may need to be aware of this). Also, not actually "by the bay" but you only need to look at a map to know this... Can be a little noisy in the morning when other guests are moving about in the hallways. Be careful in the parking deck as it is rather tight and there are some blind spots as you are driving around corners to get up to the exit.
Other than that, I did not spend any time in the Lounge nor did I order a meal from Room Service or the Restaurant, so I cannot comment on that.
I had one problem during my stay. About 1am, I settled down to go to bed. As I was getting under the covers, I felt something with my toes - turns out that the previous guests socks were still in the foot area of my bed (within the sheets!). Both socks. The only way this happens is if the sheets have not been changed. I was immediately grossed out and called down to the desk to have new sheets sent up for both beds immediately. The night manager was very accomodating and I had new sheets up in the room in 15 minutes. I went down to speak with the night manager and received my night's rate comp'd for the trouble; incidentally I decided to extend my stay by one night (at this point I knew the sheets were clean, right?).
All in all, I have stayed in many Holiday Inns/Holiday Inn Expresses over the last few years, and I have never encountered a problem, so I won't stop going due to this one problem. However, I do feel that something did slip through the cracks and that people should be aware of it. Hygiene is very important and housekeeping staff need to be trained and disciplined appropriately.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- When you visit the historic, exciting and alluring waterfront City of Portland, why not stay in the midst of it? Award-winning hotel with elegant decor and spectacular views. Just steps away, the Old Port thrives with unique shops, diverse restaurants and a working waterfront. Turn the corner and Portland's new Arts District surrounds the Hotel with the art museum, Children's Museum, galleries and historic homes. The L.L. Bean Factory Outlet Store and Civic Center are only a block away! Jetport is 10 minutes away; courtesy vans are available. Choose from Executive Rooms, Suites and Double/Double Rooms. For your meetings and conventions, let us show you our 14,510 sq. ft. of meeting space and our 12,500 sq. ft. exhibit hall. Our convention coordinators will handle all of your meeting details, including spouse tours and island lobster bakes! Let us show you the pleasure of business in Maine, BY THE BAY. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, IHG, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay Hotel Portland
- Portland Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay Maine