“Nice enough hotel, one minor housekeeping issue...that was resolved” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay

Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in Portland
Charlotte, NC
“Nice enough hotel, one minor housekeeping issue...that was resolved”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2009

After reading many reviews and looking for somewhere reasonable to stay in the downtown Portland area, I settled on the Holiday Inn, over the competition.

Pros: Free parking in the garage, great location to Congress Street (near LL Bean Outlet, many restaurants, bars, Civic Center), nice rooms, nice bathrooms.

Cons: More of a walk to Commercial St and the actual Old Port area (didn't bother me but some older travellers may need to be aware of this). Also, not actually "by the bay" but you only need to look at a map to know this... Can be a little noisy in the morning when other guests are moving about in the hallways. Be careful in the parking deck as it is rather tight and there are some blind spots as you are driving around corners to get up to the exit.

Other than that, I did not spend any time in the Lounge nor did I order a meal from Room Service or the Restaurant, so I cannot comment on that.

I had one problem during my stay. About 1am, I settled down to go to bed. As I was getting under the covers, I felt something with my toes - turns out that the previous guests socks were still in the foot area of my bed (within the sheets!). Both socks. The only way this happens is if the sheets have not been changed. I was immediately grossed out and called down to the desk to have new sheets sent up for both beds immediately. The night manager was very accomodating and I had new sheets up in the room in 15 minutes. I went down to speak with the night manager and received my night's rate comp'd for the trouble; incidentally I decided to extend my stay by one night (at this point I knew the sheets were clean, right?).

All in all, I have stayed in many Holiday Inns/Holiday Inn Expresses over the last few years, and I have never encountered a problem, so I won't stop going due to this one problem. However, I do feel that something did slip through the cracks and that people should be aware of it. Hygiene is very important and housekeeping staff need to be trained and disciplined appropriately.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
6 Thank Sip79

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2009

Nice Hotel. Room and Bathroom were nice and clean. Had a Bay view which was worth the extra $. Other side of the Hotel has a view of The White Mtns (Mt. Washington). A short walk to Congress Street. A little longer walk to Commerical Street. Restaurant had a nice breakfast that was reasonable. Gave coffee cups to fill and bring up to your room. Hotel Bar was nice, Bartender on Friday night was friendly. Bartender on Saturday night was a bit busy/stressed and took a long time to wait on us. Pool area was nice. Don't plan on sleeping in as the Maid's are very noisy. They are ready to go at 7:00 a.m. Parking is very tight, small spaces. My car got dinged and I have an Elantra.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sharls08
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2009

We stayed at this Holiday Inn over Valentine's Day weekend. The hotel was completely full, however this did not hinder the customer service in any way! Upon check in, we were given a "goodie bag" with a couple of free drink tickets, a half price drink coupon, free coffee/tea, a Portland magazine, scratch off lottery ticket, bottle of water, bag of Fritos and a cookie. The woman that checked us in was very friendly and polite, and also asked if we need a map of the area, which was provided, and quite helpful for cruising around the area. We were given a harbor view room on the 7th floor. Others have said this hotel is dated...sure, it is a bit older. But there is nothing wrong with the accomodations and overall hotel appearance. I think some are just a bit critical of the small things, that really in the big scheme of things, do not hinder the stay. The staff is very friendly, the rooms are clean, the hotel as a whole appeared very clean, and the bed was comfortable. They have a "pillow menu" on the bed, if you are not happy with your pillows. They offer several choices to choose from, and with a call to the front desk with your choice, they will bring them to you. We had plenty of room in the room and bathroom (which really isn't a big deal to me, how much time does a person really spend in the room anyways?) . The bathroom also appeard to have new faucets in the sink and shower/tub.
We did order room service for breakfast. The delivery was quick and the food was hot and good. We did also have a couple of drinks in the lounge. Again, a friendly bartender that mixed a very good drink. TV's, comfy couches in a rather large lounge. Another bonus of this Holiday Inn, no fee for parking in their covered parking garage! We found it close enough to everything, with the Old Port only being maybe a 5 minute walk at most. Very convenient... And again, I cannot say enough good about the staff at this hotel.
I would not hesistate to recommend this hotel to anyone, and I do plan to stay here again in the future!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank badsherry
East Greenwich, Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2009

I recently stayed at Holiday Inn - Portland by The Bay during a business trip to Portland. I was looking for a downtown hotel, and the loction of the HI proved to be great. It was also nice to see the hotel offered free parking for a downtown hotel.
Even though the hotel is old, it has been maintained nicely. The hotel features a very large lobby and has a restaurant with lounge. The check-in staff was very friendly. I appreciate the effort this hotel puts in, including the welcome bag with snacks, magazine about Portland, and even a Maine scratch lottery ticket! They called my room about 30 minutes after checking in to make sure everything was fine.
I think I received an upgraded room due to my Priority Club status, because I was given a corner room with wall to wall windows of the Portland harbor. The view really was fantastic. The room itself was comfortable, though slightly dated. The bathroom was large and clean, and was typical updated Holiday Inn.
In the morning, the staff at the resturant was very friendly and the food was pretty good. They even offer vegetarian sausage at breakfast, which is pretty rare.
My only complaint about this hotel was the business services. I had tons of problems with the hi-speed internet in the room. I had to call the toll free help line 3 times to get it working right. They admitted it wasn't my laptop, but their connection to the hotel. I even tried going down to the business center, (which is kept an an uncomofortable 85 degrees), and their internet didn't work much better. Plus one computer didn't have Adobe reader and the other had trouble printing. All in all, when I needed to get work done, I found it very difficult. As a business traveler, that is a problem!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
3 Thank ChewInRI
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2009

This hotel could really benefit from a renovation.

The bed was comfortable enough (always important to me), and the location was good, so those are pluses.

However, the overall feel is of an 80s-style Holiday Inn that could use a serious freshening up. There was nothing 80s about the pricing, though -- this place is priced like a newer, nicer property.

It also smelled rather like a hospital -- I suppose they get credit for cleanliness, but then again, the antiseptic/cleaner smell everywhere was a little extreme.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank PubliusTX
West Burke
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2009

I've stayed here before and have always been completely satisfied. This trip was no different. I stayed there for the location near the civic center and old port area. When I checked in at 11:00 am not only was my room ready, but I was given a rate $30 less than I reserved for. Bravo Holiday Inn and kudos to the front desk individual who did this!! You made sure I will return. This is one reason I like Holiday Inn, I've never had any problem with pricing and them making any problems correct, but in this case they went above and beyond.

As a priority club member I received some extra goodies which was nice. The parking is covered in a garage which is much appreciated in the winter. Our room was exactly what I reserved, spic and span clean and the bed was one of the most comfortable we've slept on in a hotel. We love the lobby area by the elevators, the tile and elevator doors are neat. We attended a home show at the Civic Center, shopped the interesting little shops in the old port area, had a late lunch at Dimillo's and enjoyed our evening view of the bay.

We'll be back!

• Liked — Location and service
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
      Check in / front desk
1 Thank kjd1978
NH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2008

Not your parent's Holiday Inn--- GREAT PLACE

I booked this room for an annual girlfriend get-away. As I was coming from the Seacoast, NH area via Amtrak, and my friend was driving from Camden, ME, we arranged to meet at 1:00 in the lobby. My train delivered me to the station on time, at 11:30 a.m. and I called the Holiday Inn from the train. The shuttle service is free.

As I was getting off the train, I saw the Holiday Inn shuttle already waiting for me. It was the beginning of a most delightful experience.

The posted check in time is 4:00 p.m., so my best expectation was that the staff would hold my bag, and I would do some shopping. I was absolutely astounded that at 11:40 a.m., I was told my room was ready and that I could check in immediately.

The room was HUGE, more like a studio apartment than a hotel room. Picture windows, comfy beds, coffee maker, microwave, mini-fridge, and a separate dining area, as well as a living room set up.

I was greeted wilth a small gift bag containing cold bottled water, snacks, maps and coupons.

I must mention the kindness and helpfulness of the staff. Everyone with whom I met, from the shuttle drivers to the front desk staff to the lovely bartender....everyone was just great.

Unfortunately, my friend became ill in the middle of the night from some seafood she had eaten (NOT in the restaurant in house!). I called the front desk, explained the situation, and we were immediately granted a 2:00 p.m. checkout (vs the mandatory 12:00 p.m.)

I travel a great deal, and I had two hotels which feel like coming home. I now have three. I am planning another visit before Christmas. Stay here, you won't be disappointed.

• Liked — The amazingly friendly staff. The huge immaculate room. We stayed at The Regency last year. Half the space, twice the price.
  • Disliked — Honestly, nothing.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
      Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Katieliz