“We'd stay here again”

Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed April 6, 2014

First family trip to Portland with the little ones. Our room wasn't ready, so they upgraded us to a larger suite at no extra charge. There was a crib ready and we had a nice view of the city and harbor. Great way to wake up every morning! The hotel was central to everything, all the great restaurants, shops and activities. The pool area was clean and the pool was warm despite temps in the 'teens outside.
The town is great for running, with lots of hills and flats. The front desk provided me with a map and assistance so I could plot my run, which was really helpful.

You will have to pay for parking in the underground parking deck, since there is no available street-parking.

Room Tip: Requesting a view of the harbor will add to the experience of being in Portland
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Management3, Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

We are so pleased your stay was plesant, and that you took advantage of all Portland has to offer. We look forward to your return

Reviewed April 4, 2014

Yes, the building is getting old (for a more modern structure). It's been well used. However, the rooms are kept clean. The service was amicable, including free mini-vans to take you downtown or to the transportation hub, airport, etc. Although we walked the whole downtown area, the van was great for a late night dinner and ride to the transportation hub for our ride back to Boston. They had an exercise facility, where machines worked, plus pool with jacuzzi, which seemed well attended. A huge bonus is that the Art Museum is right across the street, and there are great coffee shops 2 blocks away, as are fun pubs and eateries.

It's really a great location all around. Good value for a stay in Portland.

Room Tip: Try to get the views of the harbor.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scubaskier

Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your experiences with others. We hope you will visit our city soon again.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

This was my first visit to the Holiday Inn Portland by the Bay and was very satisfied with my stay. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. My only criticism was I couldn't figure out how to turn down the heat, but then again, I could have called the front desk for help, which I didn't do either. The hotel is very central and within easy walking distance to the arts district, music venues, and Old Port. This is a great place to stay if you visit town for a concert.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Mike M

We thank you for reviewing us, and most importantly for staying with us. We know there are many choices in the city, and we hope to see you back with us again.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Stayed here for a conference and was pleased with the service, cleanliness, view (11th fl), and location. Easy to get to everything. Especially impressed with the attentive staff. I want to single out sarah, on the front desk, who really went the extra mile for me when I was having some technical challenges right before my presentation. She treated my problem as if it were her personal mission in life to solve it. Kudos, and thanks.

Room Tip: Great views of Portland's working harbor from the 11th floor
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to compliment our staff, and for singling out Sarah, who is a long standing valued employee. It is always wonderful to know they have done their job well!

Reviewed March 28, 2014

My husband and I were in Portland Maine for one night for his work. Neither of us had been before. We stayed at a Holiday Inn in Burbank last fall and had a terrible experience. So we weren't sure what to expect and were bracing ourselves. I have to say I can't come up with a single complaint.

The staff was absolutely fantastic. He had to call to add my name to the reservation because our flight was delayed and he had to go straight to work - no problem. I wanted to check in early - no problem. I asked to change rooms from 2 queens to a king - no problem. I mentioned to the front desk that I hadn't been to Portland before and wanted to walk around. She didn't just give me a map. She took time to go through options, chat with me about Portland and offer free pick up if I got too cold or tired walking around. We even asked where we could get bottled water when we came in at night and rather than pointing out the vending machine we hadn't noticed, she went in back and got us two bottles.

The room was clean, comfortable, had a view of the water and all in all was just terrific. Coffee maker, refrigerator, anything a business traveler could need. The hotel is also easy walking distance to the Old Port and anything else you might want to see downtown.

Again, we've never been to Portland and I'm sure there are plenty of places to stay but I can say this was a great stay!

1  Thank Alix S

We very much appreciate your sharing your experiences. The staff will be happy to know they have done their job well. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

I stayed here one night and the service was good, we had a bay view room and it was amazing, we could see the all of downtown, and had a great view of the bay and bug light lighthouse. It is close to everything and well worth the money. I would stay again in a heart beat.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Versace T
Management3, Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

We are delighted you were pleased with your stay. Thank you for posting your commets. We look forward to your return.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Stayed here on a fairly quick overnight with work. Not a 5 star hotel, but comfortable, clean and an extremely friendly staff. Free hot chocolate and coffee in the lobby is a nice touch. The only issue I would note is that the heater was a bit noisy and woke me during the night. Walking distance to the Old Port, but they also offer the shuttle if you wish (I walked...is was a beautiful afternoon!). Great little shops, restaurants and pubs everywhere. I will definitely return to Portland and this hotel.

1  Thank Catherine L

We are always pleased when first time visitors enjoy our beautiful. Thank you for sharing with others, and thank you for choosing Holiday Inn for your stay.