“Very Nice”

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Portland
Augusta, Maine
“Very Nice”
Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

I have been coming to this hotel fir many years in association with a conference I attend.
Over the last several years they have undated much of the building.
My room was clean, they were very friendly at check in and much of the staff is always very friendly.
I also noticed that many of the staff have been their for several years, which to me is a very god sign. If they treat their employees well then they will treat their guests well. That has been the case with HIBTB.
The food in the restaurant was very good.
My only complaint would be the server in the bar. He was in attentive and almost surly. Several if us went in when it was at busy and he appeared to be bothered by the fact that we were there and in no hurry to wait on us.
So we left and went down the street to another.
But I really consider this minor and will not hesitate to stay here again and recommend it.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Management3, Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
We are very pleased the reviewer had another pleasant stay with us. Our staff does have longevity which helps our repeat guests feel at home. Sincere apologies for the problem in the lounge. It is not a minor incident to us. I am not able to identify the conference you were with or the dates of your stay, but would very much like the information so we can correct the problem. If the reviewer would be willing to call the Hotel and ask for the Assistant GM it would be appreciated. We look forward to your return!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
ny
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Just because it's vintage 60s style doesn't mean it's not a good option. I have resisted staying here in the past because when I visit Maine I want to absorb Maine atmosphere at the hotel as well. But this time I thought it would be nice to try the bay view since no other accommodations in Portland offer these great views. Unfortunately, there was nearly zero visibility due to the snowstorm, but the views were still quite pretty anyway. Worth the slight bit of extra money!

The rooms are fine! Beds are very comfy. I am sure that if you want to spend your vacation time crawling around on the floor looking for dis colorations, you could find something to complain about, but nothing a casual glance unveiled.

The service is friendly. There's a courtesy shuttle that is pretty much always available to take you anywhere in town, and goes to the airport too. The food at the lounge was vg- at least the flatbread pizza to order was. Nice bartender!

I'm a convert and will try it again. I liked it.

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Management3, Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
We are so happy to hear you have become a convert to Holiday Inn By The Bay. You join the many others in appreciating our unique, genuine customer service and our fantastic city and bay views. We look forwad to your return, and thank you for your review.
Fremont, New Hampshire
Reviewed January 19, 2014

My wife went up to Portland for a little over night vacation. The room itself was pretty nice. Very standard with a fridge, full cable, and a nice view of the bay from room 920. The guaranteed view of the bay was a little extra but well worth it. Parking underneath is validated for $10/night and once you park, you can walk anywhere downtown in minutes (<5 mins to the Portland Art Museum). The bathroom seemed less clean than I would have liked but far from unsatisfactory. The Kurig really doesn't belong in there though, and the lids for the coffee cups were a bit gross. Overall, it was nice until breakfast. I had payed extra for breakfast to be included. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY!! What you pay extra for is a $20 voucher that doesn't even cover the price of the buffet for 2. You would find more appetizing food at an elementary school cafeteria. The eggs seemed made from powder, the sausage was greasy and the skin on the gravy vaguely resembled a zombies face with acne. I felt like such a chump. You are better off going down the street to one of the nice cafes where you can get good coffee and a sandwich.
In summary, I would definitely recommend this place to my friends and family. I will most likely stay here again, but save myself the indignity of sitting at a table where the I would have enjoyed eating the voucher instead of what they call food.

Room Tip: The Guaranteed Bay Views are great!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jeffrey1072
Thank you so much for your review, and input into your dining experience. It is very unusual that we receive an uncomplimentary food review. The Chef has been copied on your response. We are pleased that you will reserve with us again, and it would be our pleasure to speak with you personally about your stay and how we can make things better the next time. Feel free to contact the hotel directly about your concerns and your next reservation
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I've stayed in a lot of properties in my time (including some with a 5-Diamond rating), and this is one of the best I've ever been in. I didn't really have high expectations going in; I just chose this property because it was across the street from my meetings. So I was delighted to discover a place I would enjoy going back on vacation.

First the lobby and front desk: the entry is clean and bright and modern, and the person who checked me in was friendly, welcoming, and professional.

Then the room: fresh, clean, comfortable, and quiet. Excellent bed, comfortable pillows, great climate control system. Nice towels, real wood hangers in the closet, and a Keurig coffee maker!

Workout facilities: basic machines, but a really nice pool that's actually long enough to do meaningful laps in.

Room service: good food at a reasonable price, delivered well within the promised timeframe.

Location: right in the heart of old Portland just steps from the art museum and other fun stuff to do.

The best part, though? The people!!! Every single staff person I came into contact with was 5-star. Not only were they professional, they were NICE too!!!

I will definitely be back!!!!

Room Tip: High floor facing the bay -- great view and super quiet!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Branwyn_3x3
Management3, Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
We are extremely pleased that your stay was such an enjoyable one, as well as very greatful for sharing your experiences. We look forward to your return.
Denver
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We were in Portland for business and had not previously stayed at the Holiday Inn By the Bay. We decided to give it a try, as the location is ideal. The experience was positive, overall.
The staff were very accommodating and friendly. Our flight was cancelled and staff got us back in at a discounted rate, even though the hotel was booked.
One criticism I have is the fact that the room was not as clean as we would expect. There was hair and dust on the floor in the bathroom upon check-in and the carpet did not appear to be maintained.
The Holiday Inn By the Bay was a fine hotel, but would fare better if more attention were paid in housekeeping/maintenance.

Room Tip: Request a room that is as high up as possible and facing the bay.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank oceangirl1
Thank you so much for the review of your stay. The staff is always happy to know they have served our guests well. We sincerely apologize for your Housekeeping issues, and have addressed it with that department. We look forward to your return.
Astoria, New York
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I love Portland, this city is a gem - anytime I think of a getaway from New York's craziness, I know this city is a place to be.
The first time I came here a couple of years back, I stayed at this hotel. I was very satisfied with the amenities they offer, so I planned our (my boyfriend and I) new years eve here.
We booked and purchased the room in advance from december 31st to january 2nd.
Unfortunately there was a snow storm, thus our flight was cancelled and there was no way out from Portland to New York all the way to the 5th, which means we had to stay for three additional nights. Since we stayed in an executive room, I knew we might have to switch to a more affordable one, or it would cost as both of our arms and legs.
I expressed our concern to the shift manager (Jonathan), whom were more than helpful. He understood our situation and offered a reasonable price for the same room for the three remaining nights - knowing that it wasn't our plan and to moving to an other room would be a a bit of a hustle. He handled our additional booking with a highly professional manner.

The stuff was very helpful throughout our stay, our room was neat , comfortable and clean. I loved the coffee machine (keruig) in our room, although there is a free coffee/hot chocolate/tea station at the lobby.
The restaurant - Port of Call - was the best choice for breakfast, they have everything to ask for for an easily affordable price. Service is friendly and prompt, you just might have a bit of a problem listening to other guests dietary needs, but thats about it.
There is a bit of a set back with the dinner menu though - it doesn't have too much of a varieties.
The portions are ok, but Im pretty sure that the haddock on the Caesar salad is made from frozen fish - which you are not expect from a city known from it's fresh seafood.

The location is excellent, it is about 10 mins walk from the Old Port . The hotel amenities include a free transportation, so whenever you need a lift just call them, and they will pick you right up. It could be extremely helpful when the weather gets nippy and you are two miles away from the hotel.

Over all, I was very happy with our hotel selection in Portland - and if I need another mini-vacation, I would be certainly choosing this hotel again.

For the hotel stuff: thank you for making our extra days in Portland memorable! :)

Ps: I would recommend to flip the mattresses time to time, coz it can get somewhat "bended" after a while.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a higher floor-room with a bay-side view.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank plazmasas
We very much appreciate the detailed review of your stay. We hope you return to be "stranded" with us again!
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for a post-Christmas family shopping trip. The hotel is a decent hotel but far removed from the big shopping area so if that is your focus, skip it.

However, if you are into numerous restaurants, pubs and entertainment, it's a perfect location.

The hotel property is, however, middle-of-the-road on unique charm and with dated furnishing and decor.

Parking is challenging if the hotel is full. There is parking but it is in an adjacent building rather than immediately below (or attached) to the hotel.

We had the added issue of extremely loud and intoxicated neighbours who disturbed our sleep at nearly 2 am by yelling right out side our door for an extended period of time.

The pool is decent but no hot tub.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NBTraveller68
We appreciate the honest review. Even though we have two underground parking levels, it is true we cannot always accommodate all the vehicles for our registered guests. Our parking garage directly next door offers a good solution, and valet is always available to our guests at no charge. Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We hope you will return on your next visit to Portland.