“A nice get-away”

Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed November 29, 2013

My husband and I had a very nice experience at Holiday Inn by the Bay. We got there and were checking in with very nice front desk employees. Our room was not quite ready so they gave us a free drink coupon for a drink at the bar while we waited, very nice. And the Lounge was very nice and comfortable. We had a room up on the top floor with an amazing view of the harbor and of South Portland. Clean, comfortable, plenty of room, free wi-fi, and a very large flat screen TV. The only thing I would do differently would be to turn down the fan of the heater at night, it was a bit loud if you are a light sleeper, my mistake, not theirs. I highly recommend Holiday Inn by the Bay.

Room Tip: Turn off or down the fan of the heater at night, it's a bit loud.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Management3, Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded December 30, 2013

Thank you on behalf of the entire staff for posting your review. It was a pleasure to accommodate you and we look forward to your return.

Reviewed November 28, 2013

I read some negative reviews and was worried about staying here for a two day conference. I have to say, I was more than surprised. The room was on the 8th floor with a great view of the bay. It was cleaned and had a clean fresh smell. The bathroom was spacious with plenty of pressure for my shower.
The room had free wi-fi, coffee maker with coffee and teas, refrigerator which worked well to keep my flavored waters I brought for the conference. Large flat scree TV with enough channels to satisfy my needs.
I also ate at the restaurant down stairs that served one of the best burgers I've in a while. I was truly surprised for a hotel restaurant.
I spoke with staff at the front desk and they also do a park and ride. We will consider staying here for our next vacation.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

We are glad you decided to reserve with us, and even more pleased that you were happy enough that you posted such a positive review. We look forward to your spending your vacation with us.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed for a conference and found the hotel good for this purpose. The meeting room temperatures were comfortable and the staff was attentive.

The best thing about the hotel is the staff. They are well trained and care about the service they provide. We took advantage of the shuttle service to travel to and from eating establishments.

My room was comfortable with a microwave and keurig. Lots of outlets for charging electronic devices. I was a bit surprised by the pink stain on the floor between the beds. The heating unit was loud and ran constantly. As a country girl, the constant noise was painful so I did not sleep well.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Dear Spruce92,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. I really appreciate and wish to thank you for the kind words intended for the staff. I humbly extend an apology for the noise which was the cause of your unsatisfactory sleep. Rest assured that your comments will be looked into and take actions accordingly. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 21, 2013

This Holiday Inn is right near the civic center. It is a short walk to Old Port, downhill. So the location is perfectly fine. The room was nice and had a good water view. There are good restaurants close to this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Took a weekend trip to Portland in mid-October and stayed here for one night. We received a little welcome bag with a few snacks when we checked in for being IHG Rewards Club members, which was a nice surprise. Our room was very clean and had a nice view of the water.

We had warm fall weather, so walking around Old Port to restaurants, breweries, and other attractions was nice and easy. It would probably be too cold to walk from the hotel in colder winter months though.

Only downside I can think of was that the hotel charges $10/night to park in their garage - with an already pricey nightly rate, it would have been nice if parking was complimentary for guests. Other than that, an enjoyable stay!

Room Tip: Our room on the 9th floor had a nice view of the water - request a room on a higher floor if you can...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jaime R
Reviewed November 18, 2013

First, I was sharing a room so didn't have much say in where it was. The location was convenient. The lady at the front desk was very nice. BUT a) the particular elevator we used shut on my husbands arm and then we saw the same thing happen to another lady. a) there was hair- not long from a persons head but short and from another part of the body- all over the bathroom floor YUCK c) when we came back at around 1:30/2 am there was nobody at the front desk or anywhere in the lobby and the doors weren't lock so anybody could come or go! d) and $10 per car for parking? Are you kidding- with the rates here? I've never had to pay for parking at a hotel anywhere in Maine- especially in P'town! Give me a break.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Management3, Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Our sincere apologies for the circumstances experienced during your stay. It is not typical to have these reviews and it will be forwarded to all concerned. Please be assured we are completely staffed overnight, with desk, housekeeping, and security personnel. Our parking fees are the lowest in the downtown area, in an effort to better serve our guests. It is our hope we might have the opportunity to accommodate you again.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

This Holiday Inn was very nice. The staff was very helpful and the facility was well maintained and extremely clean. The bedding was comfortable, excellent night sleep. What a perfect place with a beautiful location overlooking the bay. We spent the day exploring Portland. I saw some earlier post commenting on lumpy bedding and pillows. Our bedding appeared new and was extremely comfortable. There was coffee and hot chocolate available in the lobby and both were tasty. We are already talking about coming back to Portland and staying at this hotel for two nights.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple