“Bad Trade Show Hotel”

Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would stay here unless you are craving a flashback to the 80's. We are here for a trade show in a basement with 4 giant a/c units. They've been blasting all day, even though it's 60-something outside. Additionally, when we asked to open the shades in the basement where the tradeshow is being told, we were gruffly told no by the hotel. Crazy.

There are lots of nice places to stay in Portland, this isn't one of them.

3  Thank Ted A
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Dear Ted A,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We value your comments, as they enable us to further improve our services and surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you had with our air conditioning system and deeply regret that the level of service provided fell below your standards.

Your experience is definitely not reflective of the high standards we usually pride ourselves with. As such, your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future improvements where possible. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Dhan M
IHGCare

Write a ReviewReviews (1,147)

Reviewed September 14, 2013

I was a little torn on rating this Holiday Inn either an "average" or "very good." I've stayed here last year and came back again recently, so I guess that says something.

The Holiday Inn is in a great location for walking throughout the downtown Portland area and the hotel, overall, is clean. We also had a decent view of the water from our hotel, which was nice.

One complaint we had is that the parking garage is very tight and was often packed. If we had taken my husband's truck, we would have had issues parking it. Also, the elevator automatically always stops at the lobby, no matter where you are going. Of course, this isn't a huge deal, but can be a minor inconvenience. Also, the staff wasn't overly friendly.

One positive is the free shuttle the hotel provides. My husband and I had reservations at Five Fifty Five one night, which is easily within walking distance, but it was pouring outsie. The shuttle driver was very friendly, and promptly drove us and picked us up from the restaurant.

Although this Holiday Inn is around average, I would still stay here again.

Also, if you're looking for restaurant recommendations, I highly recommend Five Fifty Five and Street and Co. for dinner, and Hot Suppa for breakfast.

1  Thank Godiva0318
Reviewed September 13, 2013

I was in Portland for my cousin's wedding. The location could not have been better. So many great places for me to run in the mornings, and since the hotel is located in the heart of downtown, I was able to explore many areas. The airport was merely 15 minutes away by car. We had no trouble parking the rental car in the parking deck. It was most convenient, as was the hotel shuttle. The room was comfortable and clean. The hotel is about midway to needing an update, but I was pleased with the condition of my room. Since I usually spend very little time in my room, I am not hard to please in this regard, location being the most important factor to me when looking for a hotel. The second most important factor is the friendliness and helpfulness of the hotel staff. I did not find the staff here to be lacking either--they were great and very friendly.

Room Tip: My view was toward the north (City view, not a water view), which was fine. The room was a better va...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Loved the free shuttle from the small clean Portland ME airport. So enjoyed talking with Mike the driver. Fun Bawstan accent. ;-) Had requested a high floor room with a Casco Bay view (DEFINITELY RECOMMENDED - but away from the elevators. That's where the staff are, and can hear their door slam, at times often). Got there in the AM, room wasn't ready understandably, but offered a lower-floor room that was ready. I was ok with waiting, (and it was worth it) - downtown a 10 min walk. Staff were so friendly and professional. Joined their IHG Reward Club prior (free) and recommend it! Goodie bag waiting w/free drink coupons & snacks. Program also gives you late check-out (2pm) usually no problem. Room was beautiful - clean, spacious, INCREDIBLE Casco Bay view. Free WiFI always a HUGE plus. Gym was very small, but clean. Indoor pool huge - clean and a great place to hang out esp when it gets cold. Bartender at lounge for (free) drink was pleasant and informative of the happenings of the city. Free juice/lemonade & coffee in the lobby a plus. A wonderful stay, especially for the price point. And Portland is spectacular. Some of the nicest people I have ever met.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room (11th fl highest) with a bay view away from the elevators
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Very small handicap parking spaces. I am sure they did not comply to ADA regulations. Had to park in reservation area at night. There ought to be a way to assign a regulation space to each handicap room reservation.

Bathroom was awkward. Threshold a bit high. Had to wheel in and lean back to shut the door before turning to get under the sink.
The shower head was well placed in the middle of the shower so you could sit and adjust it easily. The a/c was very noisy/loud.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Dear Yankee19,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the layout of the hotel prevented you from fully enjoying your visit. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J

Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I were recently visiting on business. I would say the hotel rooms had a slightly tired look.

Furniture was nicked up, the bed skirt had dirt on a section, the linens were not as nice as the Comfort Inn we stated in at almost half the price. Also there was dust on all the furniture-I pleasantly asked for someone to dust and vacuum. Guessing they did, but it still was dusty.

The mattresses felt soft (old?) and were not that great. We turned off a/c and we were still cold.

Liked the location. We enjoyed walking down the hill to eat breakfast at Becky's Restaurant 2 days and walking around the Old Port area and downtown area. Portland is a great town with beautiful views, interesting shops and good food.

This Holiday Inn needs some improvements in my opinion.

Room Tip: Our room looked on city, ask for a view of ocean.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2013

Dear taichichick2013,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving a review. We are glad to see that you left some feedback on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. We are deeply sorry for any inconveniences you have experienced. We take all comments into consideration and welcome any opportunity to improve. We are hospitality professionals and strive to be the best. Your comments will be looked into.

Jaime W

Reviewed September 5, 2013

My fiancé and I were visiting Portland for a friend’s wedding and we arrived at the hotel around 1:00pm and were checked in right away. The hotel was booked to full capacity so we were psyched that a room was ready for us. The room had been "updated" with a nice flat screen tv and comfy bed but the room could have used some additional improvements for the amount of money we were paying for the one night. The air conditioning unit loudly kicked out cool air and didn't seem strong enough to cool down the room. All in all it was an average room that had a great location close to the water and marina area.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Dear DRoben12,