“Comfortable but with some inconveniences and rushed service”

Ramada Plaza Portland
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Portland
Glastonbury, Connecticut
“Comfortable but with some inconveniences and rushed service”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I usually stay in the Old Port District when I come to Portland, ME but the price of the room here was too good to pass up. In Sept. 2013, I got a room for $100/night, including tax. I have never stayed at a Howard Johnson hotel so I decided to take a chance.

The rooms are big with clean comfortable beds and fluffy pillows. Two double beds per room, a bathroom and a sink with mirror outside. Sheets are crisp and clean and towels are relatively fluffy. The room does not necessarily stink but it has a stale smell to it, like someone has been smoking. Or maybe the carpets just need to be changed. I try to leave the door to the patio open as long as I can to let the room air out but I was given a room on the first floor so that I had to shut the door for safety purposes. The neighborhood is relatively safe, though.

This price does not come with breakfast, however, you are given a coupon for 10% off "Eggs and I" beside the hotel as well as coupon for 20% off for Seasons Grille within the same complex.

The hotel boasts free wifi, which is relatively fast. However, upon arriving, my iPhone could not detect any wifi signal. We called the front desk and we were told to call 1866. We dialed the number and could not get service. We called the front desk again and they clarified that the number was an 866 number for their 24hour tech support. When we finally got through to them, we were told that they will try to fix the problem but they never got back to us. Fortunately, after a few hours, we got wifi signal.

At check-in, they ask you how many devices need to connect to the internet. Why?! If it's free wifi, it shouldn't matter how many devices you use. I had to call the front desk several times to get access codes as they would "expire" after several log-ins. I don't understand this policy and it was inconvenient.

Service at the front desk was rushed and curt, during check-in and during my calls to them requesting for additional service. It is a big contrast to the the service I get at other comparable hotels.

Location is good, with several strip malls, restaurants and fastfood joints within 3 miles. Downtown Portland is only about 6 miles via the local roads and is an easy drive from the hotel. It is also located just off the freeway so it is definitely prime location.

If you can put up with those things I enumerated above, then this hotel is good value for money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank KateD2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Korean first
Palm Bay, Florida
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed two nights here in late August. The rooms were very clean and the rooms had a balcony which was nice. The lobby was nice and with hot coffee in the mornings. I would stay here again when visiting Portland.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John H
Reviewed September 14, 2013

think there was a strip club across the street that blasted music till really late every night. the rooms are dated and smelled funky. bathroom looked dirty and smelled wet all the time.
the hotel is right next to the interstate so it is also very noisy from highway traffic.
i would not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Rexford, New York
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Our room windows/ terrace faced the toll booths and highway, making it very noisy.
We thought the hotel would be walking distance to downtown. The desk clerk gave us directions to a museum that was closed.

Room Tip: Windows faced the toll booth and highway; very noisy. We thought the hotel would be walking distance...