“Big chain Hotel”

Ranked #13 of 19 Hotels in Portland
Periana, Spain
“Big chain Hotel”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

We stayed here for only one night but would have stopped longer if time permitted.

Its located in quite a busy area traffic wise, but our room was ground floor round the back in the "B" block.

The room was pretty standard with no particular issues. I was slightly worried that it had patio doors on to an area easily accessed from a remote area of the car park near Seasons Restaurant but was hidden from view.

Beds were clean and comfortable, free wifi worked well. TV was fine and had HDMI so I could connect my netbook to it.

My only mild complaint on the room was the noise from the room above. I think a very heavy person must have been practising for a half marathon whilst wearing hobnail boots! It went on till quite late, so sound proofing was not brilliant.

We decided to try the hotels Season's Restaurant, I thought whist in Maine I should have Maine Lobster, well I have to say I was bitterly disappointed.

We did have and included breakfast and was delighted to see that "Tina" mentioned in other reviews was back from sick leave to serve us. Both the breakfast and the service were great and set us up well with a cheerful start for our drive up towards Canada.

So to some up. Reasonable large Chain Hotel, average comfortable rooms but with some room noise issues. Clean and tidy, Staff were fine. Good position to drive in to town. OK for a couple of nights. Would based on my meal give the Season's a miss for dinner.

Room Tip: I would try and take a top floor room out back if noise bothers you.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Korean first
SALEM
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel a few times in the past and generally have been very happy with it. The staff are friendly and effiicient and the rooms are clean and well maintained.
This time, the first night, as I was snuggling down to sleep I was suddenly assailed by MINT. Vicks? Ben Gay? Not sure but it was a decided reminder that someone else had slept in that bed before me.... and they hadn't been feeling well when they did. I thought about calling the front desk but was too tired to deal with people / moving rooms. Fortunately there were plenty of pillows and i was able to find one that didn't smell and so drifted off to sleep.
In the morning I found out more about my mystery room sharer. He'd left some socks balled up on one of the chairs by the window. Used the courtesy pen to throw those out quickly.
When i had a free moment i called the front desk and let them know about the pillows. While i was out they came and switched all of them. They didn't switch out all of the bedding and there was still a drift of mint if I lay the wrong way. I'd kinda hoped they'd do a full sniff test knowing that there'd been a problem already. There's certain ick factor to smelling someone else's medicated rub in your bed.
The final verdict is that they are responsive but didn't take the initiative to go the extra step on their own. Because of that they didn't fix all of the problem.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends