“What a Great Hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
St. Johns, Florida
“What a Great Hotel”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We normally stay at Hilton Garden Inns, but decided to stay here. First impressions are critical and we were greatly with warm smiles by Sue and ?) when we checked in. We also were able to check-in two hours early which we appreciated, though I did call ahead and request this.

We were later given restaurant suggestions in the area for waterfront locations. Sue was very helpful with this.

The evening reception was outstanding with a wide range of quality snacks, including grilled vegetables, e.g. not your typical junk food. The choice of free drinks was generous and the bartender was friendly and helpful.

Our suite (201) exceeded our expections as far as comfort, cleanliness, and attention to detail. The beds were very comfortable.

The breakfast buffet also exceeded our expections. Charlene greeted us with a smile when when entered the cafe and she gave us the quick tour. This is a first because we usually have to look around to figure out where everything is located. Thomas makes a great omelette.

The hotel is conveniently located next to the airport but I didn't find the noise to be a problem.

Lastly, without exception the staff we encountered in the hotel were friendly, helpful, professional, and always had a nice smile.

We checked in on 9/8/2013 and departed on 9/9/2013.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Stuart T
EmbassyPortland, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Stuart T,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel! While we are glad you travel within the Hilton family of hotels, we are honored you choose our location for your recent travels to Portland. We really appreciate your kind words about the staff, service and hotel. I hope we can be your hosts again on your next trip to Maine.

Stacy O'Reilly

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
River Edge, United States
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Elegant design, very comfortable suite for 5 of us. Clean. Breakfast was a surprise, besides the hot food including sausage, scramble egg, hot oat meal, there was a chef cooking the omelet with a lots of choices. Very nice hotel!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

Dear Ester L,

Thank you for your great review from your recent family trip to our hotel. I really appreciate your kind words about the comfort of your suite and the included breakfast. For a family of 5 - I'm sure this was a great way to start your day!

We will look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Portland.

Warmest Regards,

Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Hilton's website had an enticement fare-supposed to be a best fare-book now prices. However, same room available from another website for $200 less 48 hrs later. I tried contact by email and later by letter to have Hilton adjust price...no deal. They wouldn't even drop/adjust when the lowered their own online price 5-7 days later. I will go out of my way to boycott Hilton.
All that being said, the Embassy Suite Airport in Portland was well-appointed, had comfortable quiet rooms, local photos in decor and a sassy omelet chef for the free/included breakfast.

Room Tip: don't book through Hilton and get ripped off-use the competition websites the 2 double rooms we...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
EmbassyPortland, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Deejos,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel from your recent stay. I'm so sorry to hear that you encountered difficulty in booking your reservation but am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I'm not sure Andrew has been called sassy in a review before but he loved it!

I hope you will be our guest again when you return to the Portland area. I would be happy to personally assist you with any future reservations for our hotel.

Best Regards,

Spanaway, United States
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Great value for what is offered. It is located within walking distance of the airport. The breakfast is wonderful and the evening snack and drink time is nice with live music on one of the nights. It was enjoyable and the musicians were very nice. This same band that was there last year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels

EmbassyPortland, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Polly J,

Thank you for your 5 star review from your recent stay with us! I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate the value we offer. We are proud to have the Tony Boffa Trio playing in our lobby every Monday night and I'm glad you have gotten to see them on your visits.

I'll look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Portland!

New York City, New York
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The staff is excellent! Same goes for the beautiful lobby, pool, exercise room, business center, bar, and restaurant. The free breakfast is delicious, varied, and well-stocked, ensuring there's something for everybody's taste. Free drinks and snacks during the evening Manager's Reception is an extra nice touch. The food at the restaurant is very good, but the one room service meal we ordered was a bit below par. The suites are small but comfortable enough, especially considering that we were out sightseeing all day every day. It was nice to have a separate room if one of us wanted to sleep late or go to bed earlier than the other. Although the hotel is close to a small airport, we never heard a bit of noise in the 8 nights we spent there. We had some minor housekeeping issues, but the staff responded immediately when we brought it to their attention. The best part is the value: it's only 4 miles to downtown Portland, and so much less expensive than any of the in-town hotels. This is now our hotel of choice when traveling to Portland.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Cynthia C,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review from your recent stay with us. I truly appreciate your kind words about the staff and facilities. I will also work with our food and beverage department to see how we can improve our in room service.

I am grateful for your recommendation of our property for exploring Portland and the Greater Portland area. I look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Maine!

Warm Regards,

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I have had the pleasure of staying at this hotel several times and every time enjoyed it greatly. The rooms are clean and fresh as is the bathroom. The beds are super comfortable and nice to rest in after a day of touring Portland or walking the mountain trails.

In addition, the breakfast bar is better than most with a whole area of foods to pick from. The Manager's special in the late afternoon takes the edge off before dinner.

A nice addition, when I was there the last time ( July, 2013), was a set up of cool water with cucumbers and lemonade with real lemons for everyone to enjoy. It was a very hot week and the hotel thought enough of it's customers to do this extra thing. It hit the spot.

The only con that I have is that there are not enough towels of toilet paper provided. The desk has extras but I wish there were more provided.

When we were checking out the desk host did ask for recommendations and this is the one I provided.

Customer service is where it's at here.

Room Tip: All the rooms I stayed in were good and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank susan k
EmbassyPortland, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear Susan K,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review from your July visit with us! We always love to have repeat guests and I appreciate your notice of the water/lemonade we started offering in the lobby on Thursday-Saturday nights. We like finding new things that make our guests feel welcome.

We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to Portland.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

My husband and I had our flight cancelled and were placed in this hotel. We found the staff to be so very pleasant and the room was elegant. Everyone working in this hotel more than went out of their way to make our stay comfortable. We would stay here again in a minute.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Kathleen P
Dear Kathleen P,

While I'm sorry to hear that your flight from PWM was cancelled, I'm glad to hear we provided a bright spot to your travel day. I really appreciate your wonderful review from your unexpected stay! All of us here look forward to your next visit with us during a planned trip.

Best Regards,