“Lovely hotel if you have a car” 5 of 5 bubbles

Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Durham, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel if you have a car”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2011

We stayed here intending to hire a car at the airport and drive up the coast of Maine. This hotel is a good 10 minutes taxi ride into town and the bus, which stops outside the hotel, does a loop between downtown, Maine Mall, train and bus station and the airport so isn't a quick option nor does it run on Sundays. The weather spoilt our plans so we moved further into town after three nights. Obviously you can hear aircraft from the side of the hotel we were on but it didn't keep us awake. The suite was very comfortable, spacious and had all you could possibly need. We got a very good deal and thought such a lovely hotel was a bargain. The breakfast was buffet style with an omelette station but, if the food wasn't varied after we left, it could become monotonous if you stayed more than a few nights. The staff were all friendly and helpful but the bar tender let them down; he needed more training in customer interaction. Would heartily recommend this hotel if you have a vehicle.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
EmbassyPortland, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine, responded to this review, May 26, 2011
I am very happy to read your comments about your recent stay and glad that you found the service levels of the hotel to your satisfaction. Hope to see you return soon....safe travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
West Burke
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2011

Picked it for a friend getaway because the downtown hotels were booked for conferences. Had stayed before and chose it because I knew it was nice and the suites were big enough for 4. We got there early and a room wasn't ready so we checked in without an assigned room (or so we thought) and then headed out for some shopping and lunch. Got back later only to wait in line at reception for 20 minutes because it was understaffed and discover we hadn't really checked in and the room we reserved wasn't available. We needed multiple beds. At this point it was early evening so we moved into a room without enough beds; the hotel clerk was purportedly trying to reach one of 3 people who hadn't moved out of their room as they should have. We decided after getting into the room that we wouldn't wanted to repack, wait for cleaning, and move so we elected to sleep however we had to. We did get a reduction on the room rate, but here is the kicker.........the cancellation deadline is 24 hours prior to checkin. So had I woken up sick the day of checkin I would have been charged the full room fee. But when I showed up as agreed (via my guaranteed reservation) I wasn't given what I reserved. I'm still not convinced it was a move out problem. I think it was an overbooked problem, but it was what it was. I've had bad luck with promised reductions from one shift to the other so I give kudos to the front desk individual who had a very short night and not only checked me in, but had my reduced bill ready when I checked out the next morning.

Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank kjd1978
New Brunswick, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2011

Stayed here in March with my husband and 4 daughters for a weekend getaway and it was another awesome stay. What's not to love about this place? With our family of 6, its nice to have enough room for everybody. Also, my daughters loved the breakfast and manager's reception (I did too). I don't know what else to say, it's my favorite spot to stay at in Portland. The only thing I didn't appreciate was the phone ringing and ringing at 2:45 a.m. I don't know who called me (I know it was nobody I knew because we didn't tell anybody we were going), but they were persistant ringing the phone, and it was hard to get back to sleep; not only for my husband and myself, but also for one of my daughters who woke up too.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank igot4
EmbassyPortland, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
Dear igot4,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us. We are always happy to welcome back old friends of our hotel! I'm sorry to hear that you were disturbed so early in the morning by the phone ringing. Most likely it was another guest dialing a wrong number as our front desk system does not show any incoming calls to the hotel at that time. We would be happy to set up a Do Not Disturb no your phone in the evenings just in case during your next visit with us.
We will look forward to seeing you soon!

Augusta, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2011

I went here with my boyfriend and some other friends for a concert at the State Theater in Portland on a Saturday night. We got two rooms at different times and both were able to procure the same great rate. Our main reason for choosing the hotel was their cocktail two(!) hours and the full hot breakfast, both included in the rate. I called ahead to find out how they handled the cocktail time, and the clerk let me know they have select beers, adult beverages and snacks from 5:30-7:30pm, so I was a little dubious about how the selection was going to be. However, when we went down to partake, I was surprised to find a long liquor list alongside a (granted, pretty limited) beer and wine selection. However, they also had a number of beers for just $2 each. There wasn't a ton by way of snacks, but they had fruit and cheese and crackers, which was kept fresh during the whole two hours. The complimentary hot breakfast was equally well-tended, and there was staff available the whole time keeping everyone looked after. In addition to your average scrambled eggs, home fries, bacon, sausage and french toast, they had a make-your-own-waffle station, as well as a cook-to-order omelet station!

With regard to the rooms, when we checked in, I asked for a room away from the elevators and ice machines and was happy to find no resistance whatsoever from Justin, our front desk clerk, and landed a room right smack in the middle of a long hallway. We also found ourselves on the top (6th) floor, where the rooms have luxurious-feeling high ceilings. The rooms are very good-sized, each with a kitchenette, living room with flat screen AND bedroom with flat screen. Don't miss the full-length mirror behind the bathroom door - a touch that most hotels (even high quality ones) usually forget! The toilet and shower are separated from the sinks and mirror by another door, which is a nice layout. The beds are SO COMFORTABLE. We had an amazing nap, not to mention our blissful night's sleep.

They also have a pool and hot tub (which has an adults only period from 10pm-12am). There were plenty of kids around, so I know they are definitely kid friendly, however, we never heard any screaming or running around of children. A definite plus when you want to sleep in a little!

I HIGHLY recommend staying here if you find yourself in the Portland, Maine area. Our cab rides into and back from downtown were around $15 and the front desk clerks are HAPPY to call them for you. Thanks everyone!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rhiannon_S_Rainy
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

I've stayed in this hotel for 1 night with my husband and 7-year old daughter. Very nice hotel. Good service, excellent breakfast (omelet was just delicious). Clean and comfortable 2-room-suite for very reasonable price (convenient, pleasant interior, TV in each room, we've found in our suite everything we need). Restaurant is wonderful - dinner was tasty and inexpensive, service was attentive and friendly. My daughter was delighted by the pool. I highly recommend this hotel! It's great deal!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
EmbassyPortland, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine, responded to this review, March 1, 2011
Dear Valeriya,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay with us. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and spacious suites. I also want to thank you for pointing out the extra amenites we have on site such as the two televisions, indoor pool and fantastic restaurant. I have shared your comments with the staff and we hope to see you again the next time your travels take you to Portland.

Best Regards,

Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2011

While doing a road trip through New England last fall, I found myself in Portland, ME needing a place for my husband and I to spend the night. I usually enjoy Embassy Suites and this was no exception.

I booked my reservation right from my iPhone and upon arrival at the hotel an hour later, everything was in order. The Manager's Reception was nice and breakfast the next morning even better. I love the cook to order omelets and variety of other items.

All in all this hotel was perfect for us and had we not been traveling to New Hampshire the very next day, I certainly would have stayed another night.

• Stayed October 2010
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
EmbassyPortland, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Portland Maine, responded to this review, January 28, 2011
Dear Ellynn,

I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us last October. Our success is dependent on the feedback that we receive from loyal Embassy Suites customers like you! We pride ourselves on our ability to deliver outstanding service, accommodations and amenities from the moment you arrive until you depart.

We hope to see you again for a longer stay if your travels take you back to Portland in the future.

Best Regards,

Winchester, ma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2011

My partner, 12 year old stepson and I spent a night at the hotel as a fun winter, weekend getaway. The two room suite was comfortable for the 3 of us and all enjoyed having a TV in each room. The pool is on the small side but the water was clean and warm and we enjoyed the hot tub as well. We had a delicious dinner in the restaurant and the complimentary breakfast is very good. All in all, a great deal.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family