“Excellent! ”

Saeng Thai House
Ranked #63 of 616 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: We sold our other restaurant and now only have one Saeng Thai House on 921 Congress St! Please come visit us and the same old crew!
Reviewed June 4, 2014 via mobile

Must have the Thai Iced Tea - tastes like a caramel chai tea, don't be scared by the milky orange color. Both entrees were delicious and filling. Served on clean contemporary white plates - very nuce presentation. Fast service! Neighborhood is a bit sketchy as we parked a couple blocks away, maybe by a halfway house or community housing? Three people oddly said hello to us in unison and asked where we were going as they hung off their front porch. We'd recommend parking north, east or directly in front of restaurant. This place was great!!

Reviewed May 16, 2014

This place was great. The happiest, kindest, even a bit cheeky (which made us laugh!) waitress you could ever imagine. Something that really impressed me was that she repeated our order back to us to make sure she got it and the details right. The food was delicious. We've never had Thai iced tea before. It's like sweet caramel iced - yummy good! My husband had red curry (1 star) which he said was very good.he really liked the crunchy vegetables, beef very good and portion was excellent. I had the Thai chicken which was served in 1/2 a pineapple. Lovely presentation, too much food for me but delicious. Atmosphere was very quaint. Seating for 18. Only draw back if you consider it one was that they don't serve alcohol. We were fine with that because the Thai iced tea was so good. :-)

Reviewed May 10, 2014

Having read the reviews, we had to try Saeng Thai House. I am an aficionado of Pad Thai and make it myself with a recipe from the woman who supposedly brought it to this country. I thought the one here was excellent, but having said that, I do prefer the recipe I use and I agree that this one could use a wedge or two of fresh lime. The tempura vegetables I had as a starter were excellent, interesting, and filling. My husband had the pork dumplings as a starter, which he really enjoyed. I tasted one and thought it had a smoky undertone, kind of like bacon. He always goes for massaman curry like I go for Pad Thai and he was very happy with the curry here.

The people were very friendly and attentive and there is obviously a devoted clientele. Since the restaurant is BYOB, the dinner was also a great value. We will definitely be returning to try other things on the menu.

Reviewed May 5, 2014

This is a small little Thai restaurant with fast service, no frills and very good food. Prices are average. I would recommend and would go again when in the area.

Reviewed April 30, 2014

We headed to Portland to redeem a coupon deal, but the restaurant wasn't open yet. Our options were to wait, which wasn't really an option, because we were hungry, or to go to the nearest place. Saeng Thai SMELLED so good from the street, and my feet really hurt, so they won our business. The restaurant is pretty rustic looking, but lovely and clean. Our server, Kae was young, and seemingly shy, but had a great sense of humor. We ordered a starter of veggie spring rolls, and she said quietly, "You want four stars?" and smiled. She totally won me over. I tried their volcano noodle soup special and was very pleased. She suggested I don't order more heat, but that she would bring some hot sauce. My husband had a curry dish, which he really enjoyed. We will definitely go back, and you should go, too!