King of The Roll
Ranked #317 of 640 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed August 12, 2014

This is our favorite sushi place in Portland, hands down. We go here so often they have started to recognize us. The spicy crunchy tuna and caterpillar roll are my absolute go-to's, never disappointed! The staff is always super nice and the outdoor seating area I personally really like because you can really people watch. The food is inexpensive compared to other sushi places and it's always delicious, highly recommended!

Reviewed July 15, 2014

I went here for an impromptu cheapo dinner here recently, with a friend who was visiting from out of town. It was a warm night and we didn't want to wait for a table, and wanted to sit outside. We were greeted at the door and were given a nice table on the outside deck. Unfortunately, for me, the down side of sitting here is the noisy traffic and exhaust pollution associated with it in Longfellow Square- though it didn't offend my friend at all.

We each had a nice, cold and refreshing Kirin beer to start, and were brought demi cucumber salads. My miso soup was bland and not hot enough. I enjoyed my entrée "box" with small salad, white rice, shrimp and vegetable tempura and California crab roll ups. But it seems there was another item missing, that should have been offered in the dinner, as compared with past meals here. My friend had the ramen/udon noodles with vegetables. She said there were not enough veggies in there, and that the spices were bland, and she did not finish her meal, feeling a bit disappointed with it.

Our service was okay, though I had to wait for some time to request "real silverware" vs. only chopsticks... and at that, they did not bring a knife, which I then had to re-request. The second server who waited on us also was a bit too eager to clear our plates, even before we were done. Dinner was inexpensive at $36.00 including tax and tip... but then again, this was not my best meal at King of the Roll.

I will go back and will hope for a better experience next time.

Reviewed May 27, 2014

This is a very modest, inexpensive Japanese restaurant. We wanted to go to Boda which is practically next door but the wait was too long. The restaurant was pretty empty which I didn't take as a good sign. I specifically asked the waitress if the chicken dish I ordered was made with white meat and I was assured that it was. We asked for brown rice but the restaurant does not serve brown rice. We also ordered steamed dumplings. When the dumplings arrived, they were lightly fried. We ate them anyway and they were OK in terms of taste. When my meal arrived, the meat was mostly dark, gristly meat and even the little bit of white meat was gristly and unappealing looking. Some of the meat pieces (not a large portion to begin with) were very small and looked like they had been trimmed off of larger pieces. To me the meat barely resembled chicken - it was more like mystery meat. I didn't bother to send the chicken back because the white meat was just as unappetizing as the dark meat and I couldn't imagine that anything else I ordered would be of an acceptable quality.

2  Thank JLW05
Reviewed May 11, 2014

I went here with a friend recently (her first time). It was my first occasion to be able to sit outdoors in Maine for a meal this season. In fact, the deck was lovely... it was warm outside, practically balmy. The main drawback to their deck, however, is the square in which it sits. Longfellow Square is noisy, and car-centric (which is where most of the noise pollution comes from), but the people-watching is great.

We arrived early on a weekend for dinner and were the only ones out on the deck for the first 45 minutes. We were greeted straight-away and given ice water by our friendly and efficient waitress. We began with a shared appetizer of scallop tempura... 7 locally-sourced scallops, lightly battered, very fresh, over a bed of shredded cabbage, with a soy dipping sauce.... in a word: delicious. We were also served a demi-cucumber salad and miso soup as part of the dinner entrée selection: the salad was refreshing, though we were disappointed with the miso soup, which is not my favorite anyhow. It was not very tasty and was mostly broth vs. having more stuff inside (tofu and veggies). My friend had the combo dinner with salmon maki and salmon sushi. I ordered the broiled chicken and California (cooked) crab roll. Both entrees came with a demi-salad of greens and such, white rice, and freshly sliced ginger with wasabi. We were both very happy with our entrees, and left feeling quite sated. I was especially pleased and surprised that I enjoyed the crab roll as much as I did. It had a slight sweetness to it, and was very fresh, which was quite pleasing.

For a total tab, including tip at just under $40- for two.... this is a very good deal. My friend said she would come back, and I definitely plan to. Excellent job, King of the Roll.... just work a bit at improving the miso.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

This is a very unassuming Japanese restaurant located in downtown Portland. The menu items are always fresh and the rice is just right. The decor is a bit dated and the piped music can be extremely annoying especially if the same old CD of Japanese bamboo flute music happens to be playing. If you are fortunate to be dining with company, it isn't too distracting from the amazing food offered up. In particular, I enjoyed the sweet cucumber which is served with drinks, fried squid, rainbow roll and spider roll. Everything is perfect when you are immersed in the delectable and fresh cuisine. Highly recommended.