“Good basic sushi”

King of The Roll
Ranked #239 of 615 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Good basic sushi, nothing fancy. Ambiance average, nothing special. I would go back because it's good quality fish at a reasonable price.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

This may not be the most fancy sushi place in town but it is probaly the best value. The service is lightning fast and the portions are generous. The fish is fresh but the preperation may not be as upscale as some of the more expensive places. I really like how they do oysters here.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

We were in Portland on vacation. Miyake had been recommended to us, but the menu didn't interest us too much, and we went to King of the Roll across the street. Big mistake. We didn't get all of the food we ordered -- which wound up being a blessing in disguise. Our server never brought two handrolls and sure enough, charged us for them. We got a blase' "sorry" when I told her that we never received those items. The white tuna maki was mushy and warm, and not in a good way. The shrimp tempura roll had crab and mayonnaise in it, which ruined it for us. Interestingly, the spicy tuna (dynamite) roll costs $4.00 more than a regular tuna roll (and in our lapse of judgment, we ordered it), yet the spicy tuna contained no spice. Go figure. None of the
five rolls we ordered were enjoyable. I see that there are plenty of positive reviews on here. Maybe our experience was anomaly, but it was just bad (both food and service).

2  Thank OccamsShaver
Reviewed September 5, 2012

King of the Roll is one of my go-to sushi spots in Portland, and I always have an awesome experience there. The wait staff is always great, the plum wine is delicious, and the sushi is always extremely fresh and fantastic. I would highly recommend it!

Reviewed August 2, 2012

Nice selection of sushi and maki with daily specials at very reasonable prices. Helpful staff and dinner combinations make this a good choice for dining before a concert at the State Theater or One Longfellow Square.