Pomegranate Inn
  • Pool
  • Room Service
Clarion Hotel(Portland)
  • Restaurant
All reviewscarriage househand painted wallseclectic decorworks of artsmall platesgas fireplacequiet neighborhoodfrittatagourmet breakfastwarm hospitalitywest end of portlandstreet parkinganniversary weekendbaked goodsbreakfast was amazingnew englandliving room
Reviewed June 1, 2010

I loved this B&B! The decor was so charming. The bed we slept on was one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept on. We stayed in room 7 or 8 (can't remember) it is the original suite of the house. I felt very much at home and sometimes wanted to stay in the room instead of going out. The cook, I forgot his name, was amazing and very friendly. He gave us a lot of information and advice about the many delicious restaurants in the area. When I go back to Portland, I will stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2010

The staff was very friendly and upon arrival we were served coffee, tea, and cookies. While this was nice, there were things that we did not like about this B&B. First of all, there is some really interesting art in the house, but in fact the amount of art is overwhelming. There is every type of art imaginable, but rather than having a nice eclectic feel, it actually feels crammed. There is stuff everywhere, in the whole house, in all the rooms. Like another reviewer said, it is dusty. I'm sure they do their best to keep it clean, but with that amount of stuff crammed in, there is no possible way to keep it dust free. Secondly, we did not find our room to be very pleasant. We stayed in room #3. You can see pictures on the website, so we knew what it would look like when we booked. However, it was, like the rest of the house, crammed with stuff and I felt claustrophobic in it. Also it is on the 3rd floor of the house. We did not have the heat on in our room, but it was sweltering, with all the heat rising up from the rest of the house. With the window open you can hear the noise of the fog horn from a lighthouse, so we were either stuck with the heat or with the noise. We would not stay here again, and would only recommend if you want to stay in a very quirky place - keep in mind that it looks nicer on the website.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SMA_10
inkpr, General Manager at Pomegranate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2010

We are very sorry that your stay at the Pomegranate was not as enjoyable as you had hoped. The Pomegranate Inn is definitely a whimsical and art filled property with an extensive collection. We do apologize for any dustiness that you experienced. This is unacceptable and will be addressed. We hope that the next time you are in Portland, you will consider our sister property, the Danforth Inn-the style is very different and may well be more in line with your taste. Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.

Reviewed April 4, 2010

It's rare on a business trip to leave more refreshed and invigorated than when you started, but our stay at the Pomegranate left us trying to find more reasons to stay!

The location is perfectly situated in a quiet, residential-feeling setting that instantly makes you feel like a local. The staff knows when to be of help, and when to somehow disappear when not needed. Breakfast was lovely and the rooms were refreshingly light and comfortable.

Everything you hope an upscale New England inn will be... while surpassing in comfort, aesthetics and professional staffing.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 15, 2009

We live in Boston and had been contemplating an overnight stay at the Pomegranate Inn for awhile. However, the Inn was sold out every time I wanted to book a room! We were finally able to get a room there for a mini-getaway after a hectic Thanksgiving. The Inn itself is charming, comfortable, and decorated in an eclectic and fantastical way. It was pouring rain when we arrived, and we were very happy to see hot tea and fresh baked bread awaiting guests after check in. Our room (#4) was huge and beautifully decorated - my husband and I wanted to move in! It was spotless, and had a cozy fireplace that we could turn on with the press of a button. The bed was very comfortable, and most importantly, the Inn has down pillows that are nice and squishy. Breakfast the next morning was tasty and filling. It was nice to see other guests at breakfast, (since I dislike staying at b&b's that make you feel like you are alone in a stranger's home) but, my one complaint is that the breakfast area was mostly comprised of a large communal table - causing people to make forced breakfast chit-chat. I would prefer the option of having a leisurely breakfast with the person/ people I came there with. But, other than that - everything about this place is top-notch. While the location is not "downtown" Portland is a very small city, and the Inn is located in a very pretty historic district with a lot of charm.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2009

This is a top-notch bed and breakfast with unique and comfortable rooms. The food and coffee are excellent. Our second morning, the chef made a creation of his, Eggs Benedict with orange faux Hollandaise sauce, that was exquisitie. I disagree with the reviewer who said this inn is too far from everything. We found it to be walking distance from most of Portland's finest restaurants. A five minute drive will have you parked next to Casco Bay downtown. My only complaint is that the TVs are old and small. But who wants to waste a vacation inside their hotel room, no matter how nicely appointed (and all of the other furnishings are wonderful)? If you're looking for a perfect spot to stage your Portland, ME trip, the Pomegranate Inn is the place.

Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple