“Comfy and fairly quiet. Not too bad for price.”
Review of Inn at St. John

Inn at St. John
Ranked #7 of 11 Portland B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 27, 2009

For the price, the Inn was a good place to stay. It was comfortable with a super-friendly staff. My room was small but I expected that in a European-style hotel. Furnishings are a little worn but everything was clean. The free Internet is great as is the breakfast. There are lots of places to eat within a block of the hotel although nothing extraordinary. Parking was not a problem. My only complaint, to be honest, was that the temperature was very hard to regulate in the room. There was a window unit (for heat and a/c) and the heat was either on or off, there was no in-between so I would wake up in the night sweating if I left it on and freezing if I left it off. Either way, I woke up.
I would recommend though, otherwise. Everything was clean, comfortable and fairly priced.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo

Reviewed January 26, 2009

I thought I wrote a review for this place immediately after I stayed, but I guess not. Well, I am writing now because I am planning to return: this time with my two giant dogs.

My boyfriend and I stopped in Portland on the way back from Bar Harbor. We were looking for something funky and off the beaten path...and we found it. This place is amazing. Yes, there's street noise (you're staying in a city, people!). Yes, it has creaky stairs. No, there is not an elevator I am aware of. But c'mon, people, enjoy a little history. The beds were huge and comfy, the bathroom and furniture was beautiful, and I absolutely loved staying there.

Two drawbacks: 1, it is not really very close to the city center, but the people who say it's in a crappy part of town are kind of out of the loop. The Medical Center is up the road, so yes, most of the aspects of the location are less than ideal. There's really nothing going on, and you have to drive a bit to get to the nicer area(s)...but if you want some quick food, go to the little Dogfish cafe down the street.

That said, you get what you pay for, and the rates and accommodations are VERY reasonable. You're not going to pay $95 to stay in the middle of town -- it's just not going to happen.

2, I was kind of disappointed with breakfast. I am not 100% sure this place should be called a B&B. To me, a B&B provides a full breakfast. We got some bagels and/or donuts and coffee or whatever, which is nice, but don't think you're going to get eggs and hash browns or anything. That said, there is a Dunkin' Donuts immediately behind the Inn, so all hope is not lost. Again, for the great price, I'm happy with what we got. They also allowed us to take trays and food back up to our room, which was nice, considering by the time we got there we really just wanted to be left alone.

The front desk people are splendid. Perhaps the best thing about the Inn is that when you e-mail them, you get a prompt answer back. What else can I say? We had a fabulous time there, in this old school building. It was incredibly charming, they have cool, quirky people working at the front desk, and I can't wait to go back.

Even though I did have some "complaints," this hotel still gets 5 stars. It's an affordable way for me to visit a really fantastic city, bring my dogs, and stay in a great hotel set back from all the goings-on.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tyrannosauruswrx
Reviewed January 9, 2009

Our 90 year old father broke his neck and we rushed to Maine Medical Center not having a clue where we'd all stay or for how long. The Inn at St. John is a lovely, short walk from the medical center so the 4 siblings secured rooms there for the first two nights.

The rooms are very clean, comfy and cute and each is decorated uniquely! Very Very Nice! They have supplied each guest room with so many ammenities! We know that "EACH" guest room is clean and comfy because we are 4 couples and we have been moved to several different rooms because we never knew if we'd be staying or going. Now we have been here for 14 nights!

The staff is absolutely fabulous! Each has a unique sense of humor and compasion! We could not be happier! They have entertained us with magic tricks, jokes and antics! They have shown concern for our father and kindness towards us all.

Across the street is a pizza joint and bar called "Pizza Villa". The pizza is great, the sandwiches are great and the soups are absolutely "TO DIE FOR"!!!! Service is fun and friendly! Down 4 doors is a full service restaurant and bar called "The Dogfish Cafe". It's a little more expensive than the Pizza joint, but the food and service are fabulous!

If you are in the area, the unique experience of a stay at The Inn at St. John is a must! Enjoy!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 22, 2008

My husband and I needed a place to stay after a flight into the Portland Jetport. We didn't want to spend a lot of money, and thought this place looked more interesting the the other value-priced hotels we found on hotels.com (La Quinta and Holiday Inn Express). I think you get more for your dollar here. The front desk staff was very helpful with restaurant suggestions and calling us a cab. Others have commented that the neighborhood is dicey; I never felt unsafe in the least there. We did take a cab to the Old Port (cost about $6) instead of walking though. The inn is across the street from a pizza place/bar but it wasn't that busy when we were there (on a Saturday night). Also across the street is a small bus station, with only room for about 2 busses. We found the room to be clean, spacious & comfortable with a flat screen TV. Our room faced the street and neither of us were bothered by noise/light. This hotel is not in the heart of the action in Portland, but close enough - especially considering the price!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LittleBirdy529
Reviewed November 29, 2008

Nice room - spacious! Impeccably clean. (Good sized fridge - flat screen TV!) Beautiful decor. Super nice staff (love Glen!) helpful and friendly. Stairs were a bit steep but they offered to help with luggage, etc. Parking was fine - even in the overflow lot. Felt perfectly safe. Overall exceeded our expectations given the totally reasonable price! We will definitely be staying here from now on when we visit Portland. We are so glad that we found this place!

• Stayed: November 2008
Reviewed November 7, 2008

I stayed at Inn at St. John's with 2 other ladies. We all enjoyed our stay so very much at the hotel. First and foremost it is very clean and the staff are exceptionally helpful. You really feel welcome from the minute you step in. We had a lovely room with two queens and a cot. Very quite on the second floor. You must however need to do steps if not on one of the 1st floor rooms. Continental brkft. in am and coffee, tea and cookies and fruit always available..There is also a computer in lobby which comes in handy.
Location is right on Congress St. so very easy to find and easy point to get to Rt. 295 and everything in town.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to any friend.

Stayed: November 2008
1  Thank sugarpgh
Reviewed September 25, 2008

My experience at the Inn at St. John's was great. The whole hotel is small and charming. The second I walked in the door I was greeted and assisted by a welcoming staff. The room was beautiful and spotless, as was my bathroom (private hall bathroom a few doors down from my bedroom and only accessible by the key to my room). The entire experience was fantastic, and I will definitely stay there again on future trips.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business