“Unique and a good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Inn at St. John

Inn at St. John
Ranked #7 of 12 Portland B&B and Inns
“Unique and a good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed here because the price was much better than the traditional hotels closer to downtown. The first night we had a room that had a bathroom across the hall. Thereafter, we upgrade to a room with a bathroom in it. Both rooms were clean and the furnishings were unique. We just weren't the type of travelers that wanted to deal with going outside the room for our bathroom. The building is very unique and we enjoyed the stay very much. It's walkable to downtown, but a little on the far side. We would stay here again though.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Flattysmith
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Flattysmith- So glad you enjoyed your stay with us. we offer an array of room types to satisfy most every ones needs. From en suite bathrooms with jetted tubs to private hall bathrooms and even shared bathrooms for the budget conscious. Yes we are a little bit off the beaten path but at 1.5 miles from Portlands old port we are still more than walk-able. Hope to see you again soon Flattysmith!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Polish first
Mesquite, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

Finding the location was a bit tricky, as was parking, but we enjoyed our stay for two nights. The stairs to the room were extremely steep - so be prepared with large bags and heavy luggage. The rooms could use some serious updating, but were great for our needs. Our room included a sink and microwave, and we shared a bathroom in the hall. It is quite a hike on foot to the downtown-like area, but there is a particularly good pizza place directly across the street.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ThoreauFan09
ThoreauFan09- Thank you for the good rating. Regretfully due to the age of our building (1897) we are unable to install an elevator without major construction. Please keep in mind however that staff is available 24/7 to assist with luggage and is more then happy to do so. Although our building is almost 120 years old we truly do pride ourselves in our ability to keep the rooms and the rest of the building fresh. We are constantly renovating. Just in the past year we have completely redone the lobby and hallways with all new carpeting and wall paper. In the winter months we utilize our down time to work on the interior of the rooms. We have installed fresh carpet, wallpaper, and paint to dozens of rooms this year with many more yet to come. Unfortunately it looks like you may have stayed in a room we haven't been able get to yet . So glad you were still comfortable. We would love it if you could stay with us again this summer so you can experience one of our recently redone rooms. Cheers!
Kittery Point, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

But i arrived very late at night and could not stop getting the feeling that the place was a bit spooky. I am not in to ghosts even if friendly and I know it seems crazy to think but if there is one place that has a lot of past energy floating around in it then that would be this place. Night time front desk was a bit distant. Maybe we were both was just tired. Day time staff was friendly, place was clean, and had all the basics, and I do not blame them for my own hang ups about the feelings I had. It was just not for me. I also arrived in a snow storm so that probably added to the experience like a Steven King novel.

Room Tip: I had one of the smaller narrow rooms on the first floor. I would not recommend them if you can affo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Wayne678
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Wayne678- Sorry you didn't feel the Inn at St John was for you. I can tell you with certainty though that we are not haunted! Although people sometimes ask, as of yet no unexplained phenomena. Good to hear you felt the morning staff was friendly the room was clean and you were provided with everything you needed. We are a small Victorian era Inn with old world charm and modern amenities but for some that may not be what they are looking for. Good luck on your future travels!
Napa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2014

My daughter needed a place to stay in downtown Portland for a concert over the weekend. It was going to be a snowy weekend, so she did not want to drive back to her college in Maine late at night. From the moment I called and spoke with the man in reservations to when she checked out, the staff were all so welcoming and helpful She said the room was wonderful and the staff was kind - often staff are not kind to college students, but these people were very nice to her. I was grateful for their help and customer service. I look forward to having the chance to stay here the next time we are in Portland. Thank you!

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
JeevesNapa- So glad your daughter felt welcomed . We open our doors to all respectable adults young or old. I hope you get the chance to experience our charming little inn as well. Perhaps some time this summer you could come visit with us. And bring your daughter along too!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2014

This place is a gem! We were driving back to Boston late after a ski trip, and were too tired to keep driving, so we decided to stop overnight in Portland. Originally we had planned to just stop off at a Motel 6, but saw this place online (thank goodness for smart phones) and decided, for only $10 more, that we'd check it out. Boy am I glad we did!! The ambiance is very classy, with a beautiful grandfather clock chiming in the lobby and pictures of old Portland on the walls. Our room was small, but perfectly clean (the postcard says I should thank Ruth) and comfortable. The front desk accommodated our late reservation without batting an eye, and the next morning, despite our late departure, they were unfailingly helpful and polite. Special thanks to Will, for taking the time out of cleaning up for breakfast to show us the local ins and outs we wouldn't have known about. This place turned our overnight place to crash into a day-trip adventure, and I couldn't recommend it more highly!

• Stayed February 2014
Cccuster- Sounds like you had the perfect Inn at St John experience. It is always a treat to hear from first time guests. Since the Inn itself was built in 1897 we are constantly renovating. It is nice to hear from guests that we have successfully maintained as you said a level of class and comfortability. Many of our employees ( Will included) are Portland natives and truly enjoy helping travelers experience their city. So glad you stumbled upon our little family. Come back soon!
Lisbon Falls, Maine
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

My expectations were exceeded! I stayed here because a snowstorm forced me to alter my travel plans. For the "deluxe" room - King bed with jetted tub ($75), I wasn't expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised at the charming decor and layout of the Inn.

Staff was professional. The value is unbelievable - free bottled water, free coffee and tea, free continental breakfast, free wi-fi (without needing a passcode!), and the room included a Keurig fully stocked, microwave, fridge, and cable TV. Wow, what a shocking deal. I expected horrible service with no amenities, but this Inn outperformed most hotels from check-in to check-out.

Room Tip: No elevators, get a ground room!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Ken C- On behalf of the Inn I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are delighted to have exceeded your expectations and glad you found value in our rates. Thanks again and hope to see you in the future!
los angele, california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

Traveling from California to Maine in the dead of winter is not an easy trip, so what a pleasure to stay at this lovely inn. From the booking of reservation, to the arrival, to the check-out, everyone that I dealt with could not have been nicer if they were family :) I have never stayed in Portland, Maine and have not lived in winter weather; so I had a million questions and needed locals insight. These people were so helpful with everything and always seemed happy to take the time to explain. They had lots of recommendations for restaurants, jogging trails, and more - just like they were on staff with the Chamber of Commerce!
Any question about the room, heating, breakfast, empty cookie tray was answered and handled immediately and with a smile. Again, even better than staying with family.
And for such an unbelievably reasonable price, the room was so nice and comfortable and super clean (I am very fussy about this!) Do not be suspicious of the prices, this hotel will make you believe that great travel deals do still exist.
Overall, the combination of fabulously comfortable and clean room, friendly/helpful staff, and excellent service and tasty treats made me want to stay longer - just to enjoy my new home away from home!!

Room Tip: Only can say that I stayed in first floor room (usually hate street noise on first floor) which was...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank busytraveler135
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
busytraveler135- We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Making guests feel welcome is our top priority. Most of our employees grew up in the Portland area so answering questions about their city is enjoyable for most. No question is too big or small we are always happy to help. Cleanliness is also very important to us and we take great care to ensure it is up to everyone's standards. Happy to hear you were pleased in that regard as well. Come stay with us again soon!