“Great if you like an older style like 1800s type inns...”
Review of Inn at St. John

Inn at St. John
Ranked #7 of 12 Portland B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 21, 2014

But i arrived very late at night and could not stop getting the feeling that the place was a bit spooky. I am not in to ghosts even if friendly and I know it seems crazy to think but if there is one place that has a lot of past energy floating around in it then that would be this place. Night time front desk was a bit distant. Maybe we were both was just tired. Day time staff was friendly, place was clean, and had all the basics, and I do not blame them for my own hang ups about the feelings I had. It was just not for me. I also arrived in a snow storm so that probably added to the experience like a Steven King novel.

Room Tip: I had one of the smaller narrow rooms on the first floor. I would not recommend them if you can affo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Wayne678
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Wayne678- Sorry you didn't feel the Inn at St John was for you. I can tell you with certainty though that we are not haunted! Although people sometimes ask, as of yet no unexplained phenomena. Good to hear you felt the morning staff was friendly the room was clean and you were provided with everything you needed. We are a small Victorian era Inn with old world charm and modern amenities but for some that may not be what they are looking for. Good luck on your future travels!

There are newer reviews for Inn at St. John

Reviewed February 19, 2014

My daughter needed a place to stay in downtown Portland for a concert over the weekend. It was going to be a snowy weekend, so she did not want to drive back to her college in Maine late at night. From the moment I called and spoke with the man in reservations to when she checked out, the staff were all so welcoming and helpful She said the room was wonderful and the staff was kind - often staff are not kind to college students, but these people were very nice to her. I was grateful for their help and customer service. I look forward to having the chance to stay here the next time we are in Portland. Thank you!

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

JeevesNapa- So glad your daughter felt welcomed . We open our doors to all respectable adults young or old. I hope you get the chance to experience our charming little inn as well. Perhaps some time this summer you could come visit with us. And bring your daughter along too!

Reviewed February 17, 2014

This place is a gem! We were driving back to Boston late after a ski trip, and were too tired to keep driving, so we decided to stop overnight in Portland. Originally we had planned to just stop off at a Motel 6, but saw this place online (thank goodness for smart phones) and decided, for only $10 more, that we'd check it out. Boy am I glad we did!! The ambiance is very classy, with a beautiful grandfather clock chiming in the lobby and pictures of old Portland on the walls. Our room was small, but perfectly clean (the postcard says I should thank Ruth) and comfortable. The front desk accommodated our late reservation without batting an eye, and the next morning, despite our late departure, they were unfailingly helpful and polite. Special thanks to Will, for taking the time out of cleaning up for breakfast to show us the local ins and outs we wouldn't have known about. This place turned our overnight place to crash into a day-trip adventure, and I couldn't recommend it more highly!

• Stayed: February 2014

Cccuster- Sounds like you had the perfect Inn at St John experience. It is always a treat to hear from first time guests. Since the Inn itself was built in 1897 we are constantly renovating. It is nice to hear from guests that we have successfully maintained as you said a level of class and comfortability. Many of our employees ( Will included) are Portland natives and truly enjoy helping travelers experience their city. So glad you stumbled upon our little family. Come back soon!

Reviewed February 14, 2014

My expectations were exceeded! I stayed here because a snowstorm forced me to alter my travel plans. For the "deluxe" room - King bed with jetted tub ($75), I wasn't expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised at the charming decor and layout of the Inn.

Staff was professional. The value is unbelievable - free bottled water, free coffee and tea, free continental breakfast, free wi-fi (without needing a passcode!), and the room included a Keurig fully stocked, microwave, fridge, and cable TV. Wow, what a shocking deal. I expected horrible service with no amenities, but this Inn outperformed most hotels from check-in to check-out.

Room Tip: No elevators, get a ground room!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

Ken C- On behalf of the Inn I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are delighted to have exceeded your expectations and glad you found value in our rates. Thanks again and hope to see you in the future!

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Traveling from California to Maine in the dead of winter is not an easy trip, so what a pleasure to stay at this lovely inn. From the booking of reservation, to the arrival, to the check-out, everyone that I dealt with could not have been nicer if they were family :) I have never stayed in Portland, Maine and have not lived in winter weather; so I had a million questions and needed locals insight. These people were so helpful with everything and always seemed happy to take the time to explain. They had lots of recommendations for restaurants, jogging trails, and more - just like they were on staff with the Chamber of Commerce!
Any question about the room, heating, breakfast, empty cookie tray was answered and handled immediately and with a smile. Again, even better than staying with family.
And for such an unbelievably reasonable price, the room was so nice and comfortable and super clean (I am very fussy about this!) Do not be suspicious of the prices, this hotel will make you believe that great travel deals do still exist.
Overall, the combination of fabulously comfortable and clean room, friendly/helpful staff, and excellent service and tasty treats made me want to stay longer - just to enjoy my new home away from home!!

Room Tip: Only can say that I stayed in first floor room (usually hate street noise on first floor) which was...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank busytraveler135
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

busytraveler135- We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Making guests feel welcome is our top priority. Most of our employees grew up in the Portland area so answering questions about their city is enjoyable for most. No question is too big or small we are always happy to help. Cleanliness is also very important to us and we take great care to ensure it is up to everyone's standards. Happy to hear you were pleased in that regard as well. Come stay with us again soon!

Reviewed February 7, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a few days in October. What a beautiful and charming place. The room was so comfortable and clean. We had a private bath across the hall and it was clean. I wanted to note that instead of using white towels like more hotels do, the Inn at St John had colored towels, which made the place seem a little bit more homey and pleasant. The lobby is beautiful and the front desk staff were great. The steps are steep so if you have trouble climbing stairs, you could request a lower floor. There are several places to eat within walking distance of the hotel - one right next door and one across the street (both have good food!). If you are looking for a charming hotel with inexpensive rooms, look no further than this inn!

Room Tip: Request a ground floor if you have trouble climbing stairs.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Shannon123103 - Thank you so much for the kind review. We are very happy you and your husband were made to feel at home. Here at the Inn at St John we recognize little things like colorful towels and A helpful and friendly staff make all the difference. We are always happy to assign lower floors to guests that request them and if for some reason one isn't available, staff is always on hand to assist with luggage. Thank you again for sharing your experience with others and we look forward to seeing you and your husband again soon.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

I was honestly shocked by how wonderful the Inn at St. John was after spending only $60 on a room. I was expecting a pretty drab place, but the inn had so much character! The decor is old fashioned but that is what I loved about it. The rooms are very cozy and clean, with more amenities than hotels that cost twice as much. I arrived at the inn at almost midnight, but the front desk staff were still extremely friendly and helpful. They even surprised me by upgrading my room at no additional charge! There were only a few options for breakfast, but they had all the necessities like fruit, juice, coffee, bagels, and muffins. If I end up going back to Portland at any time I will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Traveller607315- Thank you for choosing the Inn at St John for your stay in Portland Maine. We are thrilled you liked the decor, found the rooms to be clean, and our employees friendly. As a courtesy to our guests, we upgrade whenever possible. Thank you for the wonderful remarks and hope to see you again in the future.