“Diamond in the Rough”
Review of Inn at St. John

Inn at St. John
Ranked #7 of 11 Portland B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 14, 2014

My expectations were exceeded! I stayed here because a snowstorm forced me to alter my travel plans. For the "deluxe" room - King bed with jetted tub ($75), I wasn't expecting much. I was pleasantly surprised at the charming decor and layout of the Inn.

Staff was professional. The value is unbelievable - free bottled water, free coffee and tea, free continental breakfast, free wi-fi (without needing a passcode!), and the room included a Keurig fully stocked, microwave, fridge, and cable TV. Wow, what a shocking deal. I expected horrible service with no amenities, but this Inn outperformed most hotels from check-in to check-out.

Room Tip: No elevators, get a ground room!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2014

Ken C- On behalf of the Inn I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are delighted to have exceeded your expectations and glad you found value in our rates. Thanks again and hope to see you in the future!

Reviewed February 9, 2014

Traveling from California to Maine in the dead of winter is not an easy trip, so what a pleasure to stay at this lovely inn. From the booking of reservation, to the arrival, to the check-out, everyone that I dealt with could not have been nicer if they were family :) I have never stayed in Portland, Maine and have not lived in winter weather; so I had a million questions and needed locals insight. These people were so helpful with everything and always seemed happy to take the time to explain. They had lots of recommendations for restaurants, jogging trails, and more - just like they were on staff with the Chamber of Commerce!
Any question about the room, heating, breakfast, empty cookie tray was answered and handled immediately and with a smile. Again, even better than staying with family.
And for such an unbelievably reasonable price, the room was so nice and comfortable and super clean (I am very fussy about this!) Do not be suspicious of the prices, this hotel will make you believe that great travel deals do still exist.
Overall, the combination of fabulously comfortable and clean room, friendly/helpful staff, and excellent service and tasty treats made me want to stay longer - just to enjoy my new home away from home!!

Room Tip: Only can say that I stayed in first floor room (usually hate street noise on first floor) which was...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank busytraveler135
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

busytraveler135- We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. Making guests feel welcome is our top priority. Most of our employees grew up in the Portland area so answering questions about their city is enjoyable for most. No question is too big or small we are always happy to help. Cleanliness is also very important to us and we take great care to ensure it is up to everyone's standards. Happy to hear you were pleased in that regard as well. Come stay with us again soon!

Reviewed February 7, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a few days in October. What a beautiful and charming place. The room was so comfortable and clean. We had a private bath across the hall and it was clean. I wanted to note that instead of using white towels like more hotels do, the Inn at St John had colored towels, which made the place seem a little bit more homey and pleasant. The lobby is beautiful and the front desk staff were great. The steps are steep so if you have trouble climbing stairs, you could request a lower floor. There are several places to eat within walking distance of the hotel - one right next door and one across the street (both have good food!). If you are looking for a charming hotel with inexpensive rooms, look no further than this inn!

Room Tip: Request a ground floor if you have trouble climbing stairs.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Shannon123103 - Thank you so much for the kind review. We are very happy you and your husband were made to feel at home. Here at the Inn at St John we recognize little things like colorful towels and A helpful and friendly staff make all the difference. We are always happy to assign lower floors to guests that request them and if for some reason one isn't available, staff is always on hand to assist with luggage. Thank you again for sharing your experience with others and we look forward to seeing you and your husband again soon.

Reviewed January 28, 2014

I was honestly shocked by how wonderful the Inn at St. John was after spending only $60 on a room. I was expecting a pretty drab place, but the inn had so much character! The decor is old fashioned but that is what I loved about it. The rooms are very cozy and clean, with more amenities than hotels that cost twice as much. I arrived at the inn at almost midnight, but the front desk staff were still extremely friendly and helpful. They even surprised me by upgrading my room at no additional charge! There were only a few options for breakfast, but they had all the necessities like fruit, juice, coffee, bagels, and muffins. If I end up going back to Portland at any time I will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Traveller607315- Thank you for choosing the Inn at St John for your stay in Portland Maine. We are thrilled you liked the decor, found the rooms to be clean, and our employees friendly. As a courtesy to our guests, we upgrade whenever possible. Thank you for the wonderful remarks and hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Comfortable large room and bathroom, great bath tub and keurig coffee in the room .Simple but nice breakfast. Good location and great price! The only thing I would say negative is that the heat is very difficult to control in the room.

Room Tip: Pay the few dollars extra for the luxury rooms, it is worth it!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

deridder59- In behalf of the Inn at St. John I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay. We are glad you found the room comfortable, our location and price to be good. We appreciate your feedback with regards to the newly installed AC/heaters. Rest assured this issue will be addressed so others do not face the same difficulty you did. Thanks again and hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

It has that old cute charm and quaint relaxing ambiance! The staff was friendly and accommodating. We stayed in a smaller room with private in-room bath. The bathroom was tight, but it had what we asked for (private in-room bath!) and the shower did the trick! I did get to peek at other rooms that were more spacious and equally charming, but we didn't have too much time to dally, so it was absolutely perfect! The free breakfast was great, and delicious coffee! Despite the yucky icy and rainy weather, our room was very warm and the noise of outside or other guests was almost unnoticeable! I would love to stay again!

Room Tip: Every room is entirely different in layout and size of accommodation. Perhaps calling to talk to a s...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

LubirdKennedy- Thank you for choosing the Inn at St John for your stay in Portland Maine. We are delighted you found us charming, quaint, and our breakfast to me great. We also hope you choose us again in the future.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Did a 5-day trip to Portland, Maine to explore the place that we'd heard so many great things about. The town did not disappoint, and our base of operations was The Inn at St. John way on the western edge I guess of the West End. The oldest continuously running Inn in Portland (from waaaay back)... loaded with charm; ample parking - including an overflow lot. Interesting place in that it has three levels of accommodations - economy; what I might call "regular" and 3-4 "luxury" rooms. We were in one of the luxury rooms and it was great. Check out their site for more info. Will definitely stay there next time.

Room Tip: Choose by your budget. Limited number of rooms on first floor, so anything higher involves stairs...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Easton_PAJohn- Thank you for choosing the Inn at St John for your stay in Portland Maine. We are thrilled to be your go to place in the city and glad you liked our well appointed rooms. Your wonderful comments give us a sense of pride. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you in the future.