“Great Find in Portland, Maine”
Review of Inn at St. John

Inn at St. John
Ranked #7 of 12 Portland B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Did a 5-day trip to Portland, Maine to explore the place that we'd heard so many great things about. The town did not disappoint, and our base of operations was The Inn at St. John way on the western edge I guess of the West End. The oldest continuously running Inn in Portland (from waaaay back)... loaded with charm; ample parking - including an overflow lot. Interesting place in that it has three levels of accommodations - economy; what I might call "regular" and 3-4 "luxury" rooms. We were in one of the luxury rooms and it was great. Check out their site for more info. Will definitely stay there next time.

Room Tip: Choose by your budget. Limited number of rooms on first floor, so anything higher involves stairs...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Easton_PAJohn- Thank you for choosing the Inn at St John for your stay in Portland Maine. We are thrilled to be your go to place in the city and glad you liked our well appointed rooms. Your wonderful comments give us a sense of pride. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you in the future.

Reviewed January 6, 2014

My son is in school in ME, so I have made numerous trips the past few months. NJ and back in one day is brutal, so this has become my overnight hotel of choice - when the better half is not along. Cozy, and comfortable, dripping with character, convenient location, and just 1.5 miles from the downtown area. (Certainly walkable in the warmer months, but would not recommend it in the winter, last time I stayed, there was 8" of snow overnight, and it was 12 degrees!) Anyway, why not when the wife is along? No elevators, and some of the rooms have baths that are out in the hall, private, but a separate door that your room key fits! Just does not sound too cool to her, but, I do like this place enough that I may lean on her to try it at least once! And there certainly are rooms with private baths, I just have not chosen to spend the extra bucks on them, but will need to do so if I get my love to try this Inn! Actually, if you really want the lowest price and want the old time European feel, get a room with a shared bath, they have them too! By the way, the only reason I did not rate 5 stars, is the bath situation and the lack of elevators, but that may not even be totally fair, I do really like this place, and way more than ANY option at this price point in Portland. Close to the highway (I295) too, easy to get back on the road in the morning. Staff is exceptional and nice Continental breakfast too! I actually just made another reservation for this week!

Room Tip: I go for the price since I am just doing stopover, but if you require private bath, look closely on...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo

Scout 1970- Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review about our Inn. We are glad you found us to have character and walk-able to the Old Port. Our staff takes pride in providing the best guest service in town and and we are delighted you will be returning for another visit.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

Our second stay and we'll be back again! We started out with one night and decided to stay a for a second! What a great staff and Lindsay couldn't be more helpful and kind if she tried! The rooms were well appointed, quaint and cozy. We'll be back next month! Thank you all for a wonderful weekend! ~ Tom and Cindy

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Tom W - On behalf of the Inn I would like to thank you writing a wonderful review and for being a loyal guest. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future!

Reviewed December 22, 2013

We wanted a sweet weekend with our dog in a walkable city. The Inn at St. John's was the perfect dog-friendly place with much thought put into "people friendly" comfort!! Everyone was welcoming, the room was very quaint and lovely. Thank God for the tub to rinse off Calvin after our walks. There is a fabulous park nearby which was beautiful and safe to walk at night - well-lit and very pretty with festive lights in the trees.
I love the people of Portland and The Inn at St. John's!! A huge value for your travel dollar......don't forget a cookie is waiting for you!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

MarySS1973- Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review about our cozy, friendly Inn. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay, the beautify decorated city, and hope to see you again on your next trip to Portland Maine.

Reviewed December 16, 2013

I chose to stay at the Inn at St John while I was in Maine visiting friends and family. I would most certainly stay at this property again. The rooms are well appointed and spotless. The staff are very friendly and a wealth of information about the area. I did venture to the Old Port area. The walk is not bad as there are shops and things that you can see along the way. There is a local bus service and taxi cabs which I did not use.
I looked at Tripadvisor before booking and was not sure what some of the reviews are talking about as I was most impressed with the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank jrb78
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

jbr78- On behalf of the Inn at St John I would like to first thank you for taking the time to write a glowing review and second let you know how glad we are that you enjoyed your stay. It's always a pleasure to read wonderful comments from our guests and we take tremendous pride in providing a clean, comfortable, and friendly stay.

Reviewed December 14, 2013

This review regards the LOCATION of this hotel and nothing else. We didn't stay here because some of the other reviews seemed to suggest that the hotel was far more isolated than it is, we chose the Portland Regency as a result, and I would have preferred something more like this.

We walked out to this hotel, after breakfast, from our hotel in the Old Port section (which, on a weekend night gets quite rowdy when the bars close---lots of shouting, taunts, and I imagine at times, fights). I'd looked at the reviews for both (there's not a large selection of old hotels in the main part of Portland, Maine) and unfortunately opted for the one closer to the port (it was nice, very nice, but not old).

The Inn At St John is quite close in walking distance, in all but the most extreme weather (freezing cold, sleet, rain, or extreme heat). The walk along Congress, by day, is quite nice. We had coffee at the Speckled Ax, which is closer to the Downtown section (and the coffee was great), and they recommended Hot Suppa for breakfast, six blocks further down from them, and only a couple from the Inn At St. John---and the breakfast there was well done. There was also Petite Jacqueline, a French restaurant, that was between the two and comes with good reviews from friends as well as various websites. The Maine Historical society (which is about as impressive as the California Historical Society, in San Francisco---that is to say it isn't much---) is also on the way and next to that, should you find it open, is the Longfellow House (something the Cal version lacks).

So, if you are looking to spend a night in an old Portland hostelry but don't want to be out in the flats, away from everything, read the other reviews about the hotel itself, but don't be too concerned about the location of this hotel; if you stay here, you are right in the swing of it, and a short walk to the Port. I wish I'd taken the chance.

Now all you gotta do is figure out how to tell which restaurants sell local lobster, because, like those Oregon crabs at Fisherman's Wharf, many source frozen crustaceans from elsewhere. I'd find a lobster pound and ask the man tending the lobsters...

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank gryphonisle
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this reviewResponded December 16, 2013

gryphonisle- Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our Inn. We are glad you found our location to be within walking distance to restaurants and the Old Port. Being on the edge of the peninsula allows us to keep our rates below corporate hotels while remaining in close proximity to all Portland has to offer. It is our hope you choose the Inn at St John for your next visit to Maine.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

The Inn at St. John is between the Old Port (walking distance) and the Jetport. It's filled with charm and antiques, but also has the practical things like good wireless and bathrobes. Very comfortable, and right outside is a pleasant restaurant (Dogfish Cafe) or a pizza-pub across the street. I've stayed here many times due to early morning or late night flights in and out of Portland, and it's always a pleasure. They always have tea and coffee and cookies, which I appreciate when I get one of those late-into-Portland flights and have missed dinner. The continental breakfast is only adequate (packaged baked goods; hey, can't someone bake some muffins?), but the surroundings are so pleasant and they provide newspapers so the breakfast is fine anyway. Great place overall, and so much better than chain hotels.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms are accessible only via stairs, since the Inn is old. That helps give it its quir...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2013

Lindendale- Thank you for choosing the Inn at St John for your stay in Portland Maine. We hare glad you found our Inn to be charming and practical. My staff and I take tremendous pride in providing a cozy, clean, and friendly atmosphere for our guests so their stay in Portland is a memorable and enjoyable one. It is our hope that we are your "go to" place and hope to see you again in the future.