“good value, clean, and close prox.”
Review of Inn at St. John

Inn at St. John
Ranked #7 of 11 Portland B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 28, 2013

the inn is ok, average- overall. if you're not picky then i recommend this place for its value and proximity to downtown.

- rooms were clean, but decor is really old colonial/"CLUE." / tiny bathroom/tinier shower.
- no elevator
- don't count on the breakfast
- the inn is located just a mile away from downtown portland. you can cab it for $7-8 or drive in. street parking was easy and there are lots available.
- pet policy- we called and they said that they allowed dogs free of charge but i also read another review prior to my trip that they don't allow dogs alone in the room. that wasn't my case. they didn't seem to care. my dog also doesn't bark and doesn't really act like a dog.

my only grip about this place is:
i wish the people at front desk were approachable and friendly. i mean, they do work in service/hospitality, right? most of the guys that worked there looked like they were pissed. i'm not looking for mr. super sunshine or mr. congeniality, but a "hello" or "how's your stay?" would be sufficient. the older lady who had the day shift was probably the nicer one out of all. i found housekeeping to be super delightful and friendly.

highlight of my stay:
when a random, questionable hobo just walked in and helped himself to free coffee and cookies. it was housekeeping that told him that wasn't allowed while a group of male employees just stood there and watched.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Inn at St John for your stay in Portland Maine. On behalf of the Inn I would like to thank you for your feedback. We read all comments to measure areas of improvement and what guests love about our Inn. With regards to this review it is unfortunate these concerns were not communicated to us prior to departure.

Do to the Inn being over 118 years and in order to make sure we are welcoming, warm, and comfortable we invest in structural improvements on an ongoing weekly basis.

We also place a huge emphasis on, and proud of, our high level of customer services and do all we can to make our guests feel at home from providing maps of the city to suggesting our favorite restaurants.

In this review it is unfair to criticize us on our pet policy and how we handled the transient individual who wandered into our lobby. Our Pet policy is clearly stated on our website and is given when making a reservation through the front desk staff. Also, several staff members took a roll in asking that person to leave our lobby to dissipate the situation as quickly as possible.

We all take pride in our work and do all we can and do all we can to make every guest stay the best it can be.

Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

When I was contemplating a visit to Portland, ME, I was referred by a couple of friends to the Inn At St. John as a nice alternative to the more expensive hotels in the City of Portland. As value accomodation within the city appears to be in short supply, I happily took up the suggestion.

The Inn At St. John is housed in a Victorian era building on the southwestern end of Congress Street in Portland. It is not in the tourist heavy core of the city's Old Port. Because of this, traveling to the more famous and desirable landmarks requires a bit of planning. The hotel has a parking lot in back of the property, but it is quite small - I doubt the number of rooms corresponds with the number of available spaces. Portland does, however, have a very efficient bus system (The Metro) and there is a stop for the Route #1 Bus into Portland across the street from the hotel. There is also a heavy presence of taxicabs across from the hotel around the Greyhound station.

Before booking the hotel, I was told that the Inn's neighborhood was "sketchy." Though certainly not as upscale and trendy as either the Old Port or Arts District of Portland's downtown, I grew to like the neighborhood around the hotel. A delightful little restaurant, The Dogfish Cafe, is located just a couple of doors down from The Inn; directly across the street is Pizza Villa, a satisfactory Italian eatery with a wonderful bar - dominated by very friendly locals - attached to it. The Inn's location makes it very handy to all of Portland's transportation hubs - it lies directly across the street from the Greyhound Bus terminal and a short cab ride from both the Portland Transportation Center (for Amtrak's Downeaster train) and from Portland International Jetport. And though this might not appeal to every visitor, I found that The Inn's location a block from Hadlock Field - home of Red Sox AA affiliate Portland Sea Dogs - to be very ideal, as I attended two games during my stay.

The Inn At St. John has several different options for guests of all budgets. There are deluxe rooms featuring king beds and whirlpool baths, rooms with beds of varying sizes and en suite facilities, and even rooms with shared baths, giving a fairly European feel to a guest's stay. I chose a room with a single bed and a private bath (with shower) located directly across the hall; the same key the operated the lock on the bedroom also unlocked the door to the bathroom, ensuring that I was the only one who used it. There is no elevator at The Inn, and potential guests with mobility issues might find navigating the stairwell and rambling hallways to be something of a challenge.

The Inn features a continental breakfast that is served in a small breakfast nook just off the lobby. The selection of items for the breakfast was more than adequate and was refreshed constantly. The staff of The Inn were very knowledgeable and accomodating and were quite helpful with all questions and requests, recommending tours and restaurants that not only delivered a satisfying experience but also delivered good "bang for the buck" value.

If staying right "in the heart" of all the action of Portland is important, this property would not be a first choice; if an outstanding lodging value in a city short on such places is the number one criteria for the traveler, The Inn At St. John should be at the top of the list.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank denverc30
Reviewed May 20, 2013

It was our first time in Portland and we wanted to stay in a hotel in walking distance to downtown. We stayed there for two nights. We loved the room. It was clean and charming. The bathroom was nice too. We particularly enjoyed the breakfast and the coffee (that is served all day long). The staff was also really nice, and even though the parking spaces are limited, we did not have any problem finding one. You should definitely listen to all the good reviews.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2013

My daughter-in-law found this inn on her smart phone as we were traveling into Maine; I tried to cross reference it to a AAA manual & found nothing; we decided to take a chance based on the pictures and we were absolutely delighted. The Inn is charming, full of antiques & great architecture; staff was very helpful & polite. Location was good. We felt we were being pampered from the moment we arrived. The cost for one night for a king room (private bath within the room) was only $73 including taxes for this time of year. A big bang for your buck!!! Highly recommend.

Room Tip: You may want to ask for a room not on congress as the street has lots of traffic; but we did not fin...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 9, 2013

At the last minute I booked 2 rooms for me and my friend. The pictures on the internet were beautiful...a classic B&B. When we arrived we were not disappointed. The building was built in the late 1800's and the charm from past years is still present. The entire staff is very welcoming. The morning breakfast adjacent to the lobby area was quite good. It was hard to believe the price for a place this nice and centrally located to many tourist attractions in the Portland area. Inn at St. John is a must if you are in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My stay at Inn at St. John in Portland, Maine was an absolute delight, a beautifully cared for
old Inn with such a wonderful atmosphere. Staff so friendly and helpful. Highly recommended
and I would love to go back.

Room Tip: A room close to Bathroom.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Inn isn't fancy - the decor is a little dated, etc. But it is clean as a whistle, quiet, and very comfortable. And the prices can't be beat. I had a room with a private bathroom, both were pretty big. The staff was very friendly, and the breakfast was your standard continental breakfast hotel fare. All in all, I was very satisfied and would definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business