the inn is ok, average- overall. if you're not picky then i recommend this place for its value and proximity to downtown.
- rooms were clean, but decor is really old colonial/"CLUE." / tiny bathroom/tinier shower.
- no elevator
- don't count on the breakfast
- the inn is located just a mile away from downtown portland. you can cab it for $7-8 or drive in. street parking was easy and there are lots available.
- pet policy- we called and they said that they allowed dogs free of charge but i also read another review prior to my trip that they don't allow dogs alone in the room. that wasn't my case. they didn't seem to care. my dog also doesn't bark and doesn't really act like a dog.
my only grip about this place is:
i wish the people at front desk were approachable and friendly. i mean, they do work in service/hospitality, right? most of the guys that worked there looked like they were pissed. i'm not looking for mr. super sunshine or mr. congeniality, but a "hello" or "how's your stay?" would be sufficient. the older lady who had the day shift was probably the nicer one out of all. i found housekeeping to be super delightful and friendly.
highlight of my stay:
when a random, questionable hobo just walked in and helped himself to free coffee and cookies. it was housekeeping that told him that wasn't allowed while a group of male employees just stood there and watched.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, Orbitz and TripOnline SA so you can book your Inn at St. John reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Inn At St. John Hotel Portland
- Inn At St. John Portland, Maine