“A Terrific Place to Stay”
Review of Inn at St. John

Inn at St. John
Ranked #7 of 12 Portland B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I chose the Inn because it was within walking distance of the Maine Medical Center, where my nephew was scheduled for brain surgery. The staff at St. John couldn't have been any nicer or more helpful as I went through three awful, worriesome days and was responsible for the care of my seven year old great-nephew while his Mother stayed with my nephew in the hospital. The staff all took a personal interest in what our plans were for the day and checked out how we were going to get there. (my great-nephew (Liam and I) They paid attention to Liam and when we came back from some long days, they had cookies and juice ready. How we were doing was of paramount interest to everyone at the Inn. My room was perfect, complete with a note from the maid one day, reminding me to shut my door tightly. I can't begin to thank them enough. Jeffrey in particular was available and so soothing when it came to dealing with a nearly hysterical aunt. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Sue whithead

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sue W
Terry M, Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

We are pleased you enojoyed your stay with us here at the Inn at St John, We hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

Visited Portland in December just before the holidays. The inn was a nice place from which to explore the city. It is near the ma focal center and a short drive from downtown and many good restaurants. Our room was on the first floor off the lobby. A little traffic noise and lights. The room was clean and comfortable. The bath was spacious and well maintained. The lobby offered tea and coffee as well as a small continental breakfast. The cookies were nice and fresh and the breakfast, though uninspired was very convenient and fresh too. The staff were pleasant and helpful. The off season rates were unbelievable. I have recommended the Inn At St John to several friends. A very good value.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Anne C

We are pleased you enjoyed your stay at the Inn at St John, Hope to see you in the future.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

As you arrive, the location of the Inn may make you have second thoughts - give it a chance and you will be as pleasantly surprized as we were! We booked a superior king room and found it to be comfortable and cozy; the staff was very professional, friendly and willing to advise on restaurants and give directions to attractions. The Inn itself has a very unique character and is very well maintained. They offer a nice continental breakfast with good coffee, juice and delicious, huge muffins. There are a couple of restaurants in the immediate area that are good too. We would definitely rebook for our next trip to the Portkand area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 23, 2013

This Inn has a lot of character. It was built in 1897 and has been kept up.I stayed in room 4A and it was a smaller room with a bath room across the hall. Location is great if you want to see a Sea Dogs game or a Red Claws game or have family at the hospital. The service was good very nice people. The continental breakfast was good for what it was. Fresh fruit and there seemed to be nothing there that was stale like bagels or muffins. If Im going to Portland I will definately stay again. The bed was comfortable I had a very good night sleep.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Paul_Dumond
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Found this place on TripAdvisor and booked about a month in advance (when no other b+b/inn was available). The staff was really nice. As others have said, they gave great food recommendations and even saved the day by providing us with a phone charger from the lost and found! Breakfast was just a simple continental breakfast, nothing seemed homemade but good enough, especially for the price! Our room, 8A, was upstairs (just a short set of stairs). The king bed was very comfortable, the room was very clean, and overall it was a nice room. Only problem we had was that our shower water wouldn't drain very well. We forgot to let the front desk know but hopefully they'll solve the issue after seeing this review! Even though it's about a mile to two away from the center of town, it's a good walk (if you're a walker!) and it's close to the Seadogs stadium (if you're interested in catching a baseball game!). If I return to Portland, would definitely return!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I booked the Inn at St. John due to the price point vs all other major hotels downtown. The price had me concerned about what to expect though...

The Inn turned out to be great. The location isn't the best and there are a couple characters walking around in the later evening hours, but we weren't hanging around outside. The parking lot has about 10-12 spots directly in back of the inn (accessible from Valley St) with overflow parking available at the Chinese restaurant adjacent to the rear lot (accessible from St. John St).

The hotel itself was ornate and well maintained with old mansion woodworking and floors. Getting to the rooms is confusing because it's not just one staircase to go up the floors. You walk up the first flight, then down a hall to a new flight and a cross a raised landing to some rooms. We stayed in 1B. It was a King room with bathroom in the room. It was at the front of the hotel on Congress St. Some complained about the noise but we didn't find it to be an issue. For sleeping, we always carry a white noise machine to drowned out any outside noise anyway. The room had a small fridge, love seat, two chairs with a small round table, dresser, TV (old school), two night stands and a king bed. The bathroom was small but updated. Our biggest complaint was the bed. Both my wife and I woke with sore backs after day 2 of sleeping on the bed.

The lobby area has complimentary coffee, tea and cookies available throughout the day as well as some bottled water available in the small fridge in the breakfast area.

Overall, for an average of $80 per night, you can't beat this place. It was clean and comfortable for what we wanted which was a home base while we explored Portland. I would definitely do some comparison shopping instead of rebooking if we were to return to Portland though, as the bed situation had us very sore toward the end of our trip (4 nights).

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I was convinced to make a reservation at this Inn based on all of the positive reviews but admit I was still nervous. However, the reviews came through and my parents and I were impressed with the Inn and the value. Yes the decor was a little dated but it was not bad. The room was clean and had a private bathroom, refrigerator and coffee machine. We stayed on the first floor near the lobby since there is not an elevator, but we were not disturbed by any noise, even during breakfast hours. The staff was nice and gave us a good dinner recommendation ... The Dogfish restaurant two doors down. You can hear the traffic passing on the street but we were too tired so it did not bother us at all. The lobby had coffee and tea available all the time. Breakfast was continental and limited to two kind of cereal, muffins, bagels, english muffins, juice, fruit, yogurt and granola bars. We recommend this hotel if you dont mi d staying a little drive from the Old Port district.

Room Tip: We stayed in 101A