Inn at St. John
$101
$224
Hampton.com
  • Breakfast included
Portland Regency Hotel & Spa(Portland)(Great Value!)
$139
  • Restaurant
Ramada Plaza Portland(Portland)(Great Value!)
$102
Hyatt Place Portland - Old Port(Portland)(Great Value!)
$226
$209
  • Room Service
Holiday Inn Portland By The Bay(Portland)(Great Value!)
$136
  • Pool
The Westin Portland Harborview(Portland)(Great Value!)
$143
  • Room Service
Portland Harbor Hotel(Portland)(Great Value!)
$179
$149
Official Hotel
$197
$179
All reviewsno elevatorprivate bathcookiesbagelscontinental breakfastprivate hallshared bathroomfirst flooreuropean feelold portsteep stairsmedical centercongress streetqueen bedbottled waterchain hotelsthe breakfast area
Reviewed March 18, 2013

This isn't a resort hotel so don't expect that...it's a very friendly, nicely decorated, old fashioned hotel that's unique, clean, and fun. The Inn is located amongst pizza joint, chinese rest., tire store etc. but is close to downtown and couldn't have been cleaner or more comfortable. The breakfast was a typical continental breakfast with bagels, muffins, juice, coffee, etc. and was perfect. My bathroom was private but down the hall a few doors, that didn't bother me at all. I'm looking forward to staying there again on my next trip, I'd recommend it over a bland chain hotel anyday!

Room Tip: My only tip would be to determine the bathroom facility that fits your needs, walking down the hall or sharing a bath isn't for everyone so you may want a private, in-room bathroom...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I stayed here for a night last fall when I was doing some sight-seeing in New England. I don't like to spend a lot on accommodation (you're only sleeping and showering there, right?) so my criteria for choosing a place to stay is location and price. I wasn't expecting much for the price but I was absolutely amazed to find that no detail had been overlooked. They have onsite parking (free!) and the staff at the front desk were all so charming and polite. They made some great recommendation for places to eat and drink. Coffee and tea (tea is a big deal because I am English) were available 24/7. There were even disposable cups so you could make a brew and take it with you. As well as the great continental breakfast (including proper croissants, not those awful things that come wrapped in plastic), in the afternoon cookies were left out by the tea and coffee (home-baked by the manager!).
My bedroom was a delight. So much thought had gone into the detail, for example the fleur de lis pattern on the light switch. The toiletries provided even included an eye makeup remover pad. I wish I'd thought to take some photos of the room.

Although this place is not marketed as a B & B or a boutique hotel, it should be because the charm and atmosphere were second-to-none. Lovely. I highly recommend this place and will most definitely stay here again should I return to Portland, Maine.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank SarahG020
Reviewed March 4, 2013

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had a gift of concert tickets in Portland & were only going for 1 night, the hotels were all expensive and really most charge more for a 1 night stay. I read about the Inn & I was able to get a reservation for me & the hubby.
I'm so glad we stayed at the Inn , It was clean and the room did feel like home , the bathroom was large with plenty of hot water and a "power shower" We found the bed very comfortable.
The Inn is located in downtown Portland but they have someone on duty all night , and cameras
all over the parking lot . Excellent security I felt safe. Also the staff was helpful with directions and such . We will stay again

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 22, 2013

While the prices are much more than reasonable, there is much more to the Inn experience. I stayed there on an extended business trip. and found the charm of the facility outstanding. The rooms feel much more like a room in your home than the sterile bleached feeling I feel in most hotels. The staff is wonderful, courteouos, and knowledgeable from top to bottom. A young man named Will made the breakfast experience quite enjoyable with his superior attitude and efficient service, Some of the rooms do not have a private bath so the exoerience can be somewhat European, but still first rate,

Room Tip: EXtended stay rooms with a weekly rate are an extraorinary value
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business