“Great Stay for a Good Price”
Review of Inn at St. John

Inn at St. John
Ranked #7 of 11 Portland B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 11, 2012

On my first visit to Portland, I stayed in the Inn at St. John. I saw the great reviews online, and the prices were extremely reasonable. When I arrived at the hotel, it was like a little Bed and Breakfast. The hotel staff was very helpful. My room was clean and comfortable. The breakfast was a lot better than I had expected for than of a continental meal. The hotel is not located downtown, but the bus stop is right across the street. It was extremely easy to get downtown. If you are looking for an inexpensive place to stay, I highly recommend the Inn at St. John. You won't be sorry.

Room Tip: Make sure to ask for a room with your own personal bathroom if it's available. My bath was loca...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed November 6, 2012

First of all, this is NOT in a nice area of Portland. It's not near anything touristy, but it is convenient to the highway. That said, the inside of the inn IS quite nice, the staff have made an extra effort to overcome the grittiness of the location - hanging plants, fresh paint, better than average breakfast, etc. I should have called, but I took a gamble via the online website and chose room 108, which I assumed would be in the back, since I had read on other reviews that the location did not have an elevator and was on a busy street at a stoplight. Well it turned out, room 108 was a lovely room but faced the street. And yes, there were Harleys idling at the stop light from time to time and people yelling outside in front of the convenience store next door. Honestly, the room itself could not have been nicer, and very clean. Tip: if you decide to stay there, park your car in their too-small parking lot and leave it there if you can. We went out for dinner, coming back around nine PM, and all the spots were taken. When we went in to complain, the told us to park in their "overflow" lot (of a Chinese restaurant next door). We drive a Lexus and did not feel good at all about leaving it overnight in this part of town in a dimly-lit restaurant's parking lot. Word to the wise.

Room Tip: Lug your bags up the stairs to a room at the back on the third floor to have more quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed here and would definitely come back again - we felt as if we were at home. The staff was warm, friendly and helpful. The Inn is located within driving distance to many sites. The complimentary continental breakfast was good, with plenty to choose from, beautifully presented and the availability of coffee, tea and cookies throughout the day is charming. Very welcoming!!!

Room Tip: We enjoyed our room with a queen bed and en suite bathroom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed here last week and we loved it! The staff was very friendly and helpful with what to do downtown. We had a queen bed with a private hall bath- which we liked a lot! The room was nice and had plenty of space! Def recommend this esp for the price. We got a coupon for a taxi ride to downtown which we appreciated and it was only 8 bucks. You can walk downtown from here but it's quite a walk and we just decided on the cab. We had a complimentary breakfast that next morning- which there was plenty to choose from. I'd def stay here again! Yeah there isn't an elevator but we had no problem with this at all.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Some shared bathrooms, some bathrooms across the hall, a few en suite, so this is not a luxury hotel. But it is clean, comfortable, and the staff is friendly and helpful. It might remind you of a modest but acceptable European hotel. The area is uninteresting at best, but a long walk or a short drive brings you to the museum, the restaurants and the port.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I don't have any real complaints about the Inn at St. John, just that it was nothing special. The rooms were ok, cleanliness was just ok. It was definitely NOT nice - reminded me of a grandparent's old home with dingy towels and shower. I could have stayed at a discount chain hotel and had a much nicer/cleaner room. The atmosphere of a B&B was a little bit better though. It did include breakfast, which was granola bars, packaged yogurt, toast, criossants, bagels - again nothing special. It was not in downtown Portland near the shops/restaraunts, so you would have to drive into town. The cleaning ladies were always smoking on the back porch/parking area which was not inviting. Nothing outwardly terrible happended, I just would never stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 24, 2012

My wife and I stayed for a few nights. The staff was helpfull and friendly. Next time I go to Maine, will look back to stay there. Located just outside of Old Port, but talking with the staff, they will tell you where to park in town if you drive. Great resturants all over Old Port.