“Disappointing”

Ranked #6 of 12 Portland B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Disappointing”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

We tried hard to make our one-night stay work for us. Our second floor room was situated right over the hotel's entry on a busy street, so it was noisy. There is a hospital with an emergency room a quarter of a block away. No other rooms with two beds were available (we needed two beds). The air conditioning was too cold, so we switched to the a/c's fan to mask the noise, but the air from the fan smelled like urine. The hotel employees gave us an ocillating fan to get the smell out and mask the traffic and street sounds. That helped. The breakfast tables in the narrow dining area were small, so a family of three could not sit together without inconveniencing surrounding guests. With all the hotels closer to the main part of downtown Portland, I will plan to book elsewhere.

Room Tip: Rooms close to the street are noisy.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Terry M, General Manager at Inn at St. John, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
On behalf of the Inn I would like to thank you for your feedback. Guest comments are valuable to us in order to improve the quality of our historic Inn. We take pride in our clean rooms and great service. It is unfortunate we fell short during your stay with us. I would like to extend my sincere apologies and rest assured we are doing everything in our power to make the appropriate changes so this doesn’t happen in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 14, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Inn--two nights when we first arrived in Portland and then one night, a week later on our way back home.
It was a pleasant surprise. The first time, we stayed in a room with a private bath. The room was large and quiet (even though it faced out on the street). The second time we stayed, we decided that we would try doing it a bit cheaper so we booked a room with a private bath down the hall. This was a great deal for the price.
Staff was generally friendly (some more than others). The breakfast could be a bit better but for the price, we were pleased and would definitely recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Be aware that the stairs are steep and there are a lot of them (with weird "mini stairs" o...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Boston
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I was in Portland for the first time--and just one night--but wanted to get a feel for the city and found this great little inn. It's rooms are best described as European (small) and some of the bathrooms are across the hall (and some are shared)... but it is a terrific value and the service is very good. Although the staff said it was just a short distance to the arts district and civic center (about a mile), it was a very hilly walk along the streets and sidewalks. I'd definitely recommend walking shoes. Parking was easy for me as I arrived early and was able to park right next to the inn--but overflow parking is available in the restaurant lot next door (be sure to bring your automobile license plate number in with you during the check-in process). Although check in is at 1pm, if you arrive at 1:00pm there could be a short wait for the room to be prepared, but the free wi-fi and the comfortable lobby furnishings make the wait bearable. Coupled with a very friendly staff, I will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Reserve early as the rooms with larger beds and private baths go soonest. But even a last minute tr...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed September 12, 2012

If you are one of those travellers who needs cookie cutter rooms and conveniences, this place is not for you.Having said that the rooms are clean and comfortable. Bathrooms (some down the hall) have everything one needs. The Inn is a sort of B&B/ European style small Hotel. I was travelling solo and my single room reminded me of many places I stayed in Europe. The 'continental' breakfast was certainly from the North American continent but unlike so many 'continental' breakfasts, the coffee was strong and the muffins and other baked goods tasty and plentiful. There is free parking in the back and good wi fi.The lobby plays classical music at a very low level unlike the awful music most places have on. The Dogfish (?) restaurant almost next door is a definite plus

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank paulieinBrooklyn
Reviewed September 6, 2012 via mobile

Easily costs half as much as other Portland hotels without sacrificing too much in quality. Room was large and very clean and comfortable. We stayed on the third floor with no elevator but that was clearly stated when we booked our room so all those stairs were no surprise. Continental breakfast was plentiful if not rather typical, with lots of options. We had a private hall bathroom, which worked out fine despite my fear of running into another guest in my pajamas (I didn't!). I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others--especially seeing as it was so well-priced. My one and only gripe is that their "overflow" parking lot is at the adjacent Chinese restaurant and I was forced to park next to the smelly dumpster. But there were plenty of spots closer to the hotel, I just wasn't lucky enough to snag one! Staff was informative and courteous.

• Stayed September 2012
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We stayed here for one night. We had a room on the second floor with a private bathroom down the hall. It was a bit of a pain having no lift but I had read this so was prepared. The room was quite big with a fridge, table, sink and a nice comfy bed. The bathroom was perfectly adequate too and both were very clean. I agree that it feels more like a small hotel than a B&B.
My first impressions of the area were awful and this only got worse as we walked into the old port which is about a 30 minute walk. I honestly thought we were going to get mugged, there was homeless and dodgy characters all over. I've walked round London after dark and definitely felt much safer there. Also was not at all impressed with the Old Port, hardly anything there and it was dirty.
I would return to this inn but only if it was in another area, I would never ever return to Portland.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed September 3, 2012

This was the last stop on our way back to Boston and a flight home. We stayed in one of the nicer rooms on the first floor - 107. The room had everything we needed for one night and we slept very well. The room faced the back parking lot so it was quiet. It is really an inn not a B&B so it shouldn't be compared to an upscale B&B. The Innkeepers were friendly enough when you asked them a question but they don't engage in any conversation unless you start it. The front desk makes you feel like you are at a hotel - a formal barrier between you and the staff. Breakfast was sufficient with many healthly choices that you put together - you aren't served! Our room had the best shower of our entire trip and the room was nicely decorated. Parking was not a problem and we were there over a busy weekend. I enjoyed jogging around Deening Oaks Park and the Western Promenade. Because of the location, we drove to the port and parked so we could walk around to shop and eat dinner.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple